Franklin Covey Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 9, 2017

Franklin Covey Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Whitman
Bob Whitman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you are looking for work life balance this is the right place for you (in 8 reviews)

• Great access to the content and great flexibility with being able to work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • FranklinCovey should be regularly ranked as a "Best Place to Work" considering it's mission and content (in 6 reviews)

"Leaves a lot to be desired"

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company's mission. What we do is impactful, and we really do deliver immense value to our clients. Decent amount of flexibility and autonomy in my role. For the most part, the people I work with are wonderful...I've worked on great teams and have never had a bad boss.

Cons

The CEO. Our CEO is a good and kind man, but is out of touch with front line employees and does little to nothing to promote a healthy culture--despite the fact that our clients pay us thousands of dollars to do just that. I am continually shocked at the level of micromanagement from the CEO...for a company of our size it is astonishing and embarrassing that even entry-level positions have to be approved (and sometimes interviewed) by the CEO. His leadership style is largely a dictatorship and is entirely out of step with the content and principles FranklinCovey espouses. FranklinCovey should be regularly ranked as a "Best Place to Work" considering it's mission and content.

Additionally, FranklinCovey is behind the times in terms of social media and marketing, and our CMO has defiantly resisted embracing those things. Why don't we have the top-ranked leadership podcast (or any regular ongoing podcast for that matter)? Why don't we have any kind of social media presence? Why don't we have a deliberate strategy for marketing to millennials?

No company is perfect, and a company that claims to be the expert on leadership is always going to fall short of what people expect. But there are some serious blind spots at FranklinCovey.

Advice to Management

We have too much "group-think" among management. Bring in outside voices. And put Sean Covey or Shawn Moon back in charge--they are the most capable, inspiring leaders in the company.

2. "Office Manager / Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Office Manager/Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Office Manager/Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 24 years. Loved the people I worked with and the content.

Cons

Felt that years and dedication didn't matter to them. About the bottom line.

Advice to Management

If you have an employee who has demonstrated loyalty - always consider before eliminating position.

3. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Education Consultant in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here, because I strongly believe in the company's mission.

Cons

No cons at this time!

4. "Great Content, ok employer"

I worked at Franklin Covey (More than a year)

Pros

The content that you sell and teach is life changing. Best in the industry.

Cons

Always felt constrained on budgets to please stockholders. Not many resources.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving in this rapidly changing industry!

5. "Client Partner"

Pros

Great access to the content and great flexibility with being able to work from home. Learned more in 2 years about business than I did in my previous 10 years working.

Cons

The job required a lot of travel, way more than was initially talked about and it was only increasing. Great job if you like travel, horrible job if you don't.

6. "Tough to ramp as a client partner"

Former Employee - Client Partner
    Former Employee - Client Partner

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time

Pros

Great company with a great culture. Always positive during meetings and great leadership.

Cons

As a new client partner it is tough to ramp at the pace they expect you too. Changes to the compensation structure also made it difficult, your salary is only guaranteed for the first 90 days. Make sure you understand the compensation before hand. Also, the travel is brutal. Be prepared to be out a lot. Covey expects 300 face to face meetings per year!

Advice to Management

Create a mentorship program to help newer client partners. For Client Partners in the field, it was difficult to find appropriate resources and find constructive criticism. You don't know what you don't know and having someone there to bounce ideas off of or to attend meetings with would have been helpful.

"Decent Job, Terrible Culture"

Former Employee - Account Management
    Former Employee - Account Management

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training offerings. Allowed to work from home when needed. Loved my peers.

Cons

Felt like a very misogynistic culture. I was on a call where an executive leader said he felt women shouldn't be hired because they will likely get pregnant and leave. Non-competitive salaries offered and very political as to who gets promoted. Didn't feel valued by leadership. I would not recommend this company.

Advice to Management

Please put some transparency around salary levels, annual reviews, and promotion parameters. It is 2015; it is time to upgrade the way you operate.

"Contradictory company - they don't practice what they preach"

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with and what seemed to be a supportive work environment. Many of my former colleagues are still close friends. Great customer service to clients. Great products and services.

Cons

Company doesn't practice what they preach. People in management positions have very poor leadership skills. Management isn't supportive of helping advance employees - they believe employees should solely take care of themselves to advance and when they do, they are reprimanded for it. High office politics. FranklinCovey is very money driven and even though they're trying to enable greatness for their clients, they are not doing that internally. Pay is not comparable to work load to say the least. Below average salary given. High employee turnover rate. If you stay quiet with your head down you will be fine. Initially I thought it was a great company to work for and then sadly I saw and heard all of the backstabbing, dysfunction, contraction of company principles, several people leaving in a short period of time, etc.

Advice to Management

Managers should take leadership training and ask for feedback on their performance from their employees. If you want to keep your employees, show them that you care and help them advance in their professional goals. For a company that wants to be the ultimate competitive advantage and creating that great culture for other companies, try taking a look at FranklinCovey first and seeing if that's the case. If FranklinCovey wants to stay competitive and retain its employees, offer better salaries and take a hard look at its company culture.

"Great Product, I wish we lived what we sold."

Former Employee - Inside Business Partner
    Former Employee - Inside Business Partner

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. Very supportive staff, and some are still good personal friends. I truly believed in the product I was selling.

Cons

It seemed very much like the company wasn't practicing what we preached. It seemed very often that important principles like putting first things first, focusing on the important (not the urgent) wasn't focused on, among many other things. If only we could have had a FranklinCovey consultant come give consultation to FranklinCovey, we'd be golden :)

10. "Review"

Pros

Excellent company to work with and for, good work-life balance

Cons

Making poor business decisions, not keeping up with electronic options.