Franklin Templeton Investments Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

Franklin Templeton Investments President & CEO Gregory E. Johnson
Gregory E. Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Development opportunities unavailable and work life balance is not possible (in 15 reviews)

• Limited career growth opportunities in Canadian region (in 16 reviews)

1. "Excellent work/life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, development opportunities, excellent work life balance, friendly people, great benefits and retirement, great culture

Cons

Growth can be slow

"Research Analyst (contractor) for only 2.5 weeks"

Former Contractor - Research Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Contractor - Research Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- competitive pay
    - nice san mateo campus
    - some people are nice/intelligent

Cons

- politics
    - bad hiring policies (seems rather arbitrary) -- if you were never sure about me, then why hire me? extended an offer after a 30 min phone interview, just all in all STRANGE.
    - lack of ANY training on INTERNAL websites/procedures; give me a break. get over yourselves and your crappy unreliable internal databases
    - people who have been working there for many years but not adding much value
    - a coworker literally was playing VIDEO GAMES for at least a few HOURS during work time on both of his work monitors, looked like Halo or some other super involved game too.
    - they delayed my start date by a week the night before I was supposed to start. literally a call at 5pm telling me to wait a few more days because "they aren't ready". i gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited.
    - hiring manager in Florida was the only one i talked to before my first day at work; i had no idea what to expect on my first day in San Mateo
    - i was supposed to temporarily replace a "research analyst lead" (supposedly senior title) during her maternity leave; manager made her train me, but i could tell she felt threatened/annoyed by my existence, as I am 5 years younger and I have less experience (but have better credentials and tech skills) and they were obviously paying me less than what they were paying her.
    - inane amount of pettiness/nastiness by this "research analyst lead" -- she was filled with condescension from day #2; laughed at me when I didn't KNOW something specific to their INTERNAL systems; she never explained anything; she laughed when I missed one specific detail about a fund; she didn't even want to lend me a pen when she asked me to take notes on what she was saying (what she was saying didn't require pen/paper) --- ARE WE IN HIGH SCHOOL? I was never her threat, but she took out all her frustrations on me. It's no surprise the hiring manager never asked her opinion on her replacement during the hiring process.

work here at your own risk, really, there are so many better places out there. this was just a super big waste of my entire month.

Advice to Management

- get rid of people who are there just because they've been there their entire working lives
    - think outside the box more please
    - be patient, 2.5 weeks is hardly enough time to get to know a person

3. "Legal Secretary"

Former Contractor - Legal Secretary in San Mateo, CA
    Former Contractor - Legal Secretary in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Franklin Templeton was a great place to work. Very helpful co-workers. Very flexible hours.

Cons

It was a temporary assignment.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and you will get positive results.

"Nepotism and checked out incompetence run rampant"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, awesome 401k match, chill environment, decent campus (but terrible cubicals), plenty of nice people, average restaurant on site, decent gym

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism in hiring and promotions, culture of passive aggressiveness with no accountability, not very good at core business functions

"FTI as employer"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, great benefits including generous bonus, 401K matching and nice corporate environment to work in

Cons

Easy to get lost in the corporate maze, lots of politics and hard to find path to promotion unless "you know someone", a lot of lifer employees that don't want to innovate or think outside the box

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees - they leave if they are not happy.

6. "Great employer"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health care, vision, dental, profit sharing, education reimbursement, two weeks vacation plus more as you stay on with the company

Cons

Family business so unless you are a Johnson don't expect to g all the way up the ranks. Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

"Overworked but underappreciated"

Current Employee - IT - Infrastructure Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IT - Infrastructure Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, including 401 contributions

Cons

Poisonous culture and work environment caused by a micromanager CTO. The CTO want to be involved with every project, which is fine, but he makes everything so much harder than it needs to be by his micromanagement. Most projects are delayed because of him but everyone is too afraid to tell him the truth. He is also not very professional at times and can become verbally abusive during meetings. I would not recommend working for this company…

Advice to Management

Be truthful and tell the CTO how much of a damage he is causing to the work culture and employee moral.

8. "Great culture"

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. Office in San Mateo headquarters is very nice.

Cons

Bureaucratic and slow. Feels like family shop with Johnson family running the show.

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Good compensation and 401k plan. Bonus pool used to be good but has been cut for the workers NOT in management over the past two years. Some management understand working from home is an excellent way to get more productivity out of workers, however many others in management do not.

Cons

Company is technologically behind. Silos of business and technology teams. Management does not cooperate with each other- they are divided. No clear technology blueprint for teams to use in making decisions on projects. Management avoids making decisions and pushes responsibility down to the lower levels. There is a lot of the blame game going on. Very high stress. Top heavy with management personnel and not enough resources to actually get the work done. No career path. Management has their favorites in management and those are the ones getting the promotions and the money while the workers remain stagnant. Management is not supportive and does not mentor the team members. Management wants to keep the knowledge and control in order to suppress the workers and not risk their position of control. Very toxic environment where people become beaten down and demotivated.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at the reality of your culture and change it before all of your talented people leave and the only ones remaining are those who can't get things done. Applying pressure to your management to contain costs has meant the workers are being abused. Management is not taking this opportunity to improve the environment to become more productive, they have simply increased the workload for non-management and created a demotivating and toxic environment which is counterproductive.

10. "Good company to work for with great benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great fellow employees and management is good.
    The benefits are great.

Cons

Can get pretty stressful and fast-paced during times of market volatility