Fred Finch Youth Center Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2020

Fred Finch Youth Center President and CEO 	Tom Alexander (no image)
Tom Alexander
Pros
  • "Annual raise is usually 3%, good benefits and extra money for health purposes(in 6 reviews)

• "Some great co-workers, some people trying really hard to support clients(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "They pay people a salary that is impossible to live off of in the Bay Area and because of that, there is a high turnover rate(in 6 reviews)

• "Negligent in its treatment towards clinicians who are continually traumatized secondarily(in 6 reviews)

"Solid place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful mission and work with populations who have a high need for support.

Cons

Self care is needed or else burn out can be high.

September 24, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback will be shared with our Trauma-Informed Committee as well as senior leadership. They use this type of feedback to consider how to better support staff resiliency in the face of serving participants with extensive exposure to trauma, and/or we’ll continue our initiative to develop supervisor competency in supporting staff.

2. "Low Pay"

Former Employee - Staff in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

Co-workers are nice to work with

Cons

Low pay and lack of growth

Continue reading
  3. "Good place to accrue hours"

1.0
    Former Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work makes for excellent learning opportunities for those who want to step up. Some great co-workers, some people trying really hard to support clients.Decent PTO and benefits. Good place to accrue hours if you are a recent grad working towards license.

Cons

Management as a whole is terrible, there are a few exceptions but the pass the buck culture is truly toxic. Always asked to take on more than your role, very little appreciation or acknowledgment expressed. Turnover is high because people get overworked, underpaid and burnt out. The pay is very poor.

"Good to start, not a long-term job"

Former Employee - Residential Youth Counselor

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked overnight shifts which allowed me to study while I was at work

Cons

The job gets very boring, it becomes harder to stay up during the shift. Also, get ready to do some cleaning, the overnight team is considered the clean up crew

Continue reading

"Great Peers Terrible Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate co-workers and great benefits.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. Management is very disorganized and often not on the same page, often telling people different expectations. The director actually asked us in a department meeting, to go online and submit a positive employee review because all of the reviews are so bad. Haha! Ridiculous. Company also presents themselves as “trauma informed”, which they clearly are not.

Continue reading
  6. "Decent entry level work experience"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personally, I had a very good supervisor - not all programs did. Valuable clinical experience building positive relationships with youth in need. Flexible schedule Decent benefits Some trainings were good

Cons

Low pay Burdensome paperwork Some trainings felt like a waste of time

"Consistent turn over due to high burn out"

2.0
    Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Few supervisors who are supportive and take feedback well. Great efforts in working towards cultural competency. Great practice in comprehensive documentation.

Cons

Management is will to listen to feedback and yet makes little effort to put into action. Negligent in its treatment towards clinicians who are continually traumatized secondarily. Little put in place to provide clinicians with needed support. Company is working from a place of traumatization and has difficulty seeing blind spots. Too much focus on paperwork which contributes to high burn out as well as less focus on clinical work. Work culture is extremely negative and does not foster growth and expansion.

September 24, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that FFYC's leadership is listening. We would like to take this opportunity to let you know that retaining employees is important to us; and, we have been working to improve this. Although this is a work in progress we are happy to report that our turnover has in fact decreased. We will use your feedback as we continue our efforts to better support staff resiliency in the face of serving participants with extensive exposure to trauma, and/or we’ll continue our initiative to develop supervisor competency in supporting staff.

"Great opportunity for growth."

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

The flexibility is wonderful and the PTO accrual is awesome. Exposure to the social work environment.

Cons

Way too much for just one employee to manage successfully. Which creates frustration and burnout.

September 24, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insights into our organization. Your feedback is appreciated. Improving communications is a formal part of our strategic plan, and includes updates to our e-mail practices, meetings and manager training. We are also working on ways to support staff. Your feedback will be shared with our Trauma-Informed Committee as well as senior leadership. They use this type of feedback to consider how to better support staff resiliency in the face of serving participants with extensive exposure to trauma, and/or we’ll continue our initiative to develop supervisor competency in supporting staff.

9. "Amazing People, Excellent Experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Residential Youth Counselor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly, the children can be so sweet and inspirational, there is great support from coworkers, the job can be pretty easy when times are calm, free food and entertainment (like movies, bowling, etc with the kids), plenty of opportunity for overtime (yay double pay!)

Cons

The pay is somewhat low - it's increased now and that's good but it's still too low for the Bay Area

September 24, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. FFYC participates in annual industry salary surveys and works hard to increase salaries when data demonstrates that positions at FFYC are not competitively compensated and our funding sources permit. We have been able to provide increases for many positions over the last 1-2 years, as well as annual 3% increases for all staff every year for more than a decade. One of our organization’s strategic goals is to continue to find strategies to better compensate our valuable staff.

10. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Program Specialist

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

Easy going, Good experience, Many opportunities to move to different programs

Cons

Unorganized, co workers can be unprofessional

September 24, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! FFYC loves cultivating a diverse and exceptional team, and we pride ourselves on helping all staff to build advanced skills and experience through their work here, where they participate in our robust training programs and partnering with more seasoned staff. There’s always something great to learn.

Found 61 reviews