Fred Finch Youth Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Alexander

1. "Management"

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

The leadership team is extremely supportive. Tom, the CEO, is an amazing leader.

Cons

Accountability is not held all through the agency which forces some of us to work harder than others.

Advice to Management

Accountability so you don't lose your loyal employees.

2. "Mental Health Therapist"

Former Employee - Marriage and Family Therapist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Marriage and Family Therapist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and freedom in the work. Great experience. What you learn you take with you and almost anything is easier.

Cons

Really challenging work, trainings are boring and don't add value. I felt like I was running around a lot all the time trying to get things done. Everything is hard including the paperwork, productivity requirements.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback and find a way to negotiate greater ease. Financially rearrange because what's expected is too much.

3. "Too much change for little pay"

Former Employee - Help Desk in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and beautiful campus. Learn alot really fast. Good information and trainings for the most part. Nice benefits if you are only looking to enroll in the bare minimum. Great work experience to carry elsewhere for more pay.

Cons

Way too much turnover. It is an IT nightmare and very stressful to keep up with equipment. Regressive technology for the most part, but its getting better. Although, you learn alot, you stress a whole lot as well. It is literally sink or swim.

Pay is too low to keep people. Upper management can be a bit stuck up. Would only advise this job for beginners looking to gain experience.

Advice to Management

Bump the pay. Eliminate turnover. Need better more updated equipment and work areas.

5. "Good place to get experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good experience for entry level people
    - Benefits are good: Great PTO Accrual, 401k matching, medical/dental is affordable (if single w/no dependents), hours toward licensure for direct service staff
    - There are some great managers and supervisors
    - Most employees really care about the work
    - I was lucky to have some really supportive supervisors

Cons

- Pay is low and hard to live on in Bay Area
    - Mixed bag of manager/supervisor competency (some really great managers and some really bad ones)
    - Upper management and executives appear out of touch

Advice to Management

Make pay more competitive, really invest in training managers

6. "Residential"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience if you ate just starting out in the mental health field. Residential has some of the most passionate, caring people you'll ever meet. My supervisors are amazing at New Yosemite and really support staff.

Cons

Pay is ridiculous and is constantly "being looked at" but never changed. The amount of work and safety risk in residential deserves a livable wage. We shouldn't have to work 50 hours a week just to be able to pay the bills.

Upper level management and the CEO don't seem to care and seem insincere.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve. You'll reduce turnover and keep quality employees. Your programs are going to start suffering if you begin accepting too many people without experience and it increases a safety risk for those who do.

Instead of always preaching self care make things available for residential staff as well.

"Poor pay, except for the top level exec staff of course."

Former Employee - Lcsw in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Lcsw in Alameda, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will take almost anyone because they have to keep hiring to fill the constant turnover. Get your hours here if you must & then run!

Cons

People with masters degrees making poor salaries. For years we heard how the management leaders were taking a look at this & working on a way to address it. But no change, in fact, insultingly low wages weren't enough. Working 50-hour weeks is a given if you want to meet productivity requirements, so in all reality, an even worse average salary. More turnover in the clinicians role than I've ever seen anywhere else, & yet they continue to act as if this is the norm & to be expected. Retention of quality employees is not a priority unless it pads the exec staff's pocketbooks. Also, after hearing recently from a former coworker who told me employees were asked to pay for their own tickets to a staff appreciation dinner, it was just more confirmation that moving on to Kaiser was the smartest thing I did. Fred Finch, this is the Bay Area- you are dealing with some of the most educated, savvy proponents of social justice, who believe in the services we provide for those who so dearly need them. Stop treating these same employees as if they haven't got a clue & should just be grateful for whatever you scrape up to give them.

Advice to Management

Tom, take 100k less & give all the No Cal employees a decent bonus check for Christmas. Oh, and keep the $20 Safeway gift cards, they are insulting.

8. "Mht"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support, trainings on trauma based CBT, MI, goodbenefits

Cons

Lot of paperwork, lot of change

"Great for Experience!"

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

-Plenty of hours towards licensure
    -Supportive coworkers and management
    -Flexible schedule (you create your own)
    -Plenty of training
    -Mixture of clientele will give you great experience
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Meeting minimum requirements of weekly productivity hours is difficult (e.g., putting in a 50-60 hour work week for salaried 40 hour pay)
    -Mediocre pay
    -Cases are distributed to clinicians based upon immediate need (as they should), but this can sometimes lead to one clinician being overwhelmed with extremely difficult clients. Others may get the "luck of the draw" and get fewer clients with further distances.

10. "Good for experience"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours and supervision towards licensure
    Awesome coworkers and supportive environment (for the most part)

Cons

Micromanagement from the higher levels
    Non-profit level pay
    Sometimes overwhelmed with cases due to politics.

11. "Mental Health Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best people to work with that are patient and caring for the participants.

Cons

Hiring process takes about a month.