Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews

Updated May 27, 2020

3.9
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center President And Director Thomas J. Lynch Jr.
Thomas J. Lynch Jr.
Pros
  • "FHCRC provides a healthy work-life balance and laid-back academia culture(in 43 reviews)

• "Good benefits for entry level employees(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "It may be a non-profit but no one is spared from the pressures of capitalism (corporate partnerships with unsavory companies)(in 27 reviews)

• "Low pay with no opportunities for advancement(in 12 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Senior Research Technician

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

NO cons as such applicable

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-05-27
  2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture and people

Cons

salary , No work from home

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-05-19
  3. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Great research being conducted in many areas of cancer, infectious disease and vaccines research Good benefits

Cons

Some growing pains with management, but generally good leadership

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-05-15
  4. "Overall enjoyable place to work."

4.0
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment overall with the highest level of science and good colleagues.

Cons

Managers don't always treat people well, but this varies and depends on the group leader.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-05-13
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

Pros

community, quality research, plenty of ways to get involved, focused on helping you succeed, great place to start your career

Cons

easy to experience bias due to academic hierarchy (but that's found at almost anywhere)

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-04-13

"Awful management"

1.0

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

IDK, it's fun to be around so much great science

Cons

Management is awful; these people couldn't manage their way out of a box

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-05-18
  7. "Wonderful Environment and Mission"

Current Employee - Lab Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Collaborative caring and exciting workplace. Employees are treated very well, great on site food and coffee stands. Most importantly, science driven and patient focused.

Cons

Traffic congestion in the area and freeway entrances/exits. Longest part of my commute is often getting the one block from the parking garage to the mercer street freeway entrance.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-04-09

"Good place to learn new skills"

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Hutch participates in some amazing research. It feels really good to be able to play a small part in the research happening at the Hutch, and people feel very passionate and dedicated to this work. Work life balance is promoted, and there is a general understanding that you have a life outside of work. A lot of internal courses to develop "soft skills", and the Coop offers a lot of great courses as well.

Cons

There are several reasons why I left the Hutch: 1. Complete lack of transparency and no value placed on their employees or their careers. There is one performance review performed annually, that does not lead to any sort of opportunities for advancement. Feedback given is vague, and managers don't care about the careers of their employees. No feedback is elicited from coworkers, and those who make the most noise/cause the most drama get all of the attention. A lot of false promises are made and never delivered on. 2. Similar to reason 1, there is no chance for career advancement or effort placed in developing employee's careers. I was able to learn a lot while at the Hutch, but those opportunities were all things I sought out on my own, and paid for myself. They say each employee receives money for professional development each year, but I did not find that to be true. When I found opportunities I was interested in I was told that there was not money to pay for it (around $500), and I ended up paying out of pocket. 3. Cold and political culture. While generally people are very nice, a few bad eggs ruin the culture. People are generally reserved and keep to themselves. Some have very strong opinions and are very disrespectful. If you don't play the political game, you will not be recognized here and will remain invisible. In general, I did appreciate the type of projects I worked on and the skills I obtained working here. This is a good place to work and develop some skills, and then move on. There is no opportunity for career advancement here, nor do they care about your career.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-04-05
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Proactive Leadership, career development opportunities, great employer

Cons

Non-profit salaries may be lower than other industries

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-03-25
  10. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smartest people on planet solving challenging problems to advance science to cure cancer. Self drive, empathy and sense of urgency is present through out the organization.

Cons

Processes are slow when compared to industry standards. Siloed functions.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-03-19