Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews

Updated May 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • non-profit in terms of benefits (in 13 reviews)

• Politics can make it difficult to move laterally (in 7 reviews)

1. "Institutional review"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Company mission, benefits, campus atmosphere all contribute to a great overall company feel, and the people who join all have the same mindset of eliminating disease and improving human health

Cons

Can be political at times and therefore makes it slightly difficult to accomplish things occasionally, but not anything over the top that would make it seem like a hard place to work at.

Advice to Management

Communicate more, from a higher level to lower level, to get input on needs of all employees so that overarching implementation of new protocols will accurately reflect what employees want.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People have a sense and attitude of purpose and it's infectious. You know that the cause everyone that's working for is greater than yourself.

Cons

They're IT department is going through tons of changes and shakeups. It's a normal part of moving things forward but people tend to get lost in the shuffle.

"Excellent institution"

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good benefits
    Bike riding subsidy
    Good affordable food
    Rooftop access with grill
    Free beer on Fridays
    Great community of scientists and staff

Cons

Depending on what lab you work in, or building, the atmosphere can feel kindof stiff. People rarely acknowledge one another in the halls or get together for lunch, it seems. Though this might be a part of the "freeze" in Seattle culture that I've heard about.
    Parts of the employee website are severely outdated and non intuitive.

Advice to Management

I think letting the labs basically run themselves is a good idea, as it prevents homogenous thinking and management. I would really like to see more active collaboration between various scientists, and more social events might help to break this in, as I suspect it is largely lacking due to the Seattle culture.

5. "Great place to work.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Office atmosphere; your fellow co-workers.

Cons

Difficult to get there during rush hour traffic.,

6. "Good place to work in a few years"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and great mission

Cons

Currently going through restructuring and modernizing process

"Great benefits and work environment"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Speaking as a post-doc, the Hutch has a fantastic support system. Even though its a non-profit and not directly affiliated with an academic institution, they do a lot to support graduate and postdoctoral researchers and career development. Excellent facilities, strong IT support staff and fantastic library resources won't leave you waiting or in the dark for long. Even their cafeteria is great! Also (added bonus), post-docs get retirement benefits!

Cons

Every lab is its own microculture - but that's not a comment about the Hutch, as much academic science.

"It's fair"

Current Employee - Statistical Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Statistical Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has very interesting research. Also, there are many teams here, so you can switch from one group to another.

Cons

It's non-profit, so you can't expect great pay, and burnouts.... And the location is not great, with pretty bad traffic nearby. There are some buses that come here, but it's still in this awkward, not quite downtown, but traffic is just as bad location.

Advice to Management

There need to be a better childcare option. Hutch Kids is constantly full and expensive (I'm on the wait list for 1.5 years now), on top of the bad traffic on Mercer, it's definitely affecting my willingness to stay here.

9. "Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, people are willing to teach, great community effort and management

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

"No path for promotions or movement within the company"

Current Employee - Research Technician Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, good benefits, and great people who truly care about what they are doing (no matter how small the job). I have worked at Fred Hutch for almost 10 years and I greatly enjoy working here, you get a feeling that you are making a difference and working toward positive outcomes for many different people and diseases. The campus is very nice and there is a great work-life balance (very family supportive).

Cons

Support staff have no path to move up and be promoted.
    There is no easy way to move to a different group, department, or lab. There is little to no support for internal candidates looking to stay at the Hutch but wanting to move to a different position.
    Great talent is lost due to these two issues as excellent performers who want to be challenged end up moving to a different company.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for talented people to advance, perhaps dedicate a HR position to help promote within and retain top performers.

"Impression after 6 months...."

Current Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA

Pros

Collaborative research environment, decent benefits, flexible hours if need be

Cons

From talking with co-workers, it sounds like it takes a while to advance to higher position titles.