Fred Meyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Fred Meyer President Joe Grieshaber
Joe Grieshaber
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the greatest (in 25 reviews)

• Full time employees must have 100% open availability (in 26 reviews)

"The Best You Can Be, Every Day"

Current Employee - Parcel Assistant in Raleigh Hills, OR
    Current Employee - Parcel Assistant in Raleigh Hills, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get plenty of arm and leg exercise as a parcel clerk pushing carts.
    Plenty of opportunities to interact with customers, be cheerful to them and most will be happy and thank you.
    If it's a sunny day, 1-2 days before a holiday, or word hits that there might be a storm coming, more customers will come in, which means there's more people coming in and doing business.
    Managers are usually prompt about their 90-day reviews, their 6-month reviews, and their 1-year reviews; you'll get a review within 1 or 2 weeks of hittin g that milestone.

Cons

Fred Meyer forbids employees from accepting tips.
    Parcel clerks have to put back groceries from the backs of checkstands to a shelving unit (non-perishables like cereal, flour, canned goods) which is dumb since not many parcel clerks know where everything goes like anyone in the food department does.
    Parcel clerk job is minimum wage - look to change positions if you want a raise.
    If you're in school looking for a part-time 12-hour job don't be surprised if they initially schedule you on 20-26 hrs / week; we don't have very many parcels.
    If it's a sunny day, 1-2 days before a holiday, or word hits that there might be a storm coming, more customers will come in, which means there's more people coming in and taking the carts and leaving them all over the parking lot and sometimes outside the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Keep recommending parcel clerks to the Raleigh Hills location. Also, higher wages would be much appreciated; say, if 1 or 2 parcels call in sick, the parcels that -are- working get increased pay for that day since the sick person isn't going to get paid for that day anyways (if they do get paid for the day even if they're sick, disregard this last bit).

"It has changed over the years with the merge of Kroger."

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Store Director in Battle Ground, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Store Director in Battle Ground, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady job, area to move up in the corporate ladder, great associates, nice clean stores, somewhat flexible schedules, health benefits if you're pt 20 hr or more. Vacation pay is nice.

Cons

Stock options were taken away, split days off every week, no raise in pay for huge promotion, understaffed so corporate is unhappy, but not enough hours to give out. Kroger is planning many changes.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Auburn, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy store keeps employees working toward a goal.

Cons

They don't like disabled who can only work 20-24 hours a week, claiming "not flexible" even though I was available any day any time of day. What???

Advice to Management

HR needs to review policies directed toward helping disabled or those on SSDI maintain employment.

5. "Dairy Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is pretty laid back most days.

If you work hard you can advance provided you are the right type of person.

They have a culture which is all about the customer which is good.

Cons

Sometimes you are asked to do overtime and management doesn't like it if you say no but other times there is not only no overtime but they cut hours drastically which sucks for part timers and full timers who need coverage.

Kroger owns Fred Meyer, Kroger is turning Fred Meyer into the same thing as every other Kroger store which makes no sense since Fred Meyer makes more money.

Only certain managers can no throw away trash/cardboard. (disgusting and a waste of time)

Kroger has been asking us to do more stuff while cutting our coverage.

Lazy employees are not disciplined and get to keep their jobs which makes it harder for good employees.

Kroger doesn't understand what works in Ohio may not work elsewhere like the Northwest.

Pay isn't worth it.

We have corporate visits where corporate expects everything to be perfect so we have to stack tons of hours on the days they will be in the store and sometimes borrow people from other stores to make it look perfect to kiss but however the big wigs never actually see how the store actually looks with normal hours to see if their policies are working. Ow and if you are a manager and if corporate comes in and the hours are not there you may be expected to come in on your day off to make everything look perfect.

Advice to Management

Bring back the Home department, do random inspections that are unannounced while having realistic expectations, hold corporate responsible for decisions they make that make customers mad on the OSAT not the store level employee.

6. "Human Resource Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay potential, career advancement

Cons

Work/life balance is very hard, lots of nights and weekends even in HR

"good pay, lousy company"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the pay is really good. almost $20 an hour.

Cons

managers constantly bugging you, always short staffed and micromanagement. people always calling in sick.

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging so much. we get less done when you come over and try to tell us what you think we need to do when you have never worked in the meat shop and have no idea how to do our job.

8. "Not Bad for Retail"

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Spokane, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While I wasn't able to benefit from it, several current employees have expressed a liking for Fred Meyer's employee insurance policy.

Their wages seem to be competitive for retail, but the baseline is still minimum wage.

If you aren't scheduled for a day, and someone calls in sick, they don't harass you for not being able to fill in when they call. Managers will stand in where they can if nobody can come in for someone who called in sick.

Cons

It is, ultimately, still a retail job.

Changes that come on down from Kroger Corporate are solely focused on the bottom line.

9. "Cake decorator/bakery clerk"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits. free food every so often. Easy to request time off. Sick, holiday, and vacation pay. Theoretically there is advancement potential. Union. Customers and co-workers are mostly nice. Pay is okay, not great.

Cons

They seem to decide who they want for a position, then do the interviews as a formality. Poor support infrastructure. If your equipment breaks you have to be on hold for a long time to get to talk to the help desk, then a technician takes their sweet time getting there and often doesn't fix the problem the first visit. Also the warehouse shorts your orders all the time and then you're held accountable for not having a product in stock. The osat program surveys customers constantly and the department gets a stern talking to if the numbers are down or even the same. Raises are union negotiated and not performance based. Bad work life balance, since almost nobody gets regular hours or set days off. If you want hours you have to work "clopens"

Advice to Management

Be fair with your promotions. Provide support instead of criticism when departments face problems out of their control. Recognize associates for job well done and don't focus so much on the osat survey numbers, and structure so people can have regular hours.

10. "Good job for students or retired folks"

Current Employee - PIC/Home Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - PIC/Home Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and the pay is pretty good for the work you do.

Cons

Not a place i would want to work long term (even though I have while going to school). Direct managers are pretty good, but upper level coordinators are not grounded and don't see what really going on in the stores.

11. "Recent changes in vacation and payouts to vacation, insurance problems!"

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be happy. But I'm upset right now. Stated in the console my pros as well.

Cons

So I have worked for the company for a few years now at a few different chains in a few different states.Each time transferring easily to my current postion in the pharmacy.

So after working for Wal-Mart for 8+ years I was fairly pleased with Kroger. I felt I was treated fair. There were decent benefits, hours, and decent pay. It wasn't until this past 6 months or so when the "OFFICAL" KROGER takeover of the store I have been at for the past 3 years that I have started to feel like they don't care anymore.

We have had 3 different HR people, none that know much of anything. You are better off looking it up yourself on the BarneyWeb or calling Total Rewards. They are starting to take away more hours and give us higher expectations for the less hours. Whatever, that is common of corporate but its frustrating.

The most recent and irritating incident involves updates to the VACATION POLICY. It is posted on our main benefits site. The site ALL associates access for ALL benefits. Right at the top of the page.

So like others did I would assume, I clicked the link and read it. Things sounded good, more vacation, new vesting dates, etc. Etc. Well turns out, its not for us.

Just MANAGEMENT! SOMEONE TAKE IT OFF THE WEBSITE THEN. Then theres the issue of insurance. Cant even go to a dentist here this year.

No ones in network. We can gile a claim, and it might get paid.

Hmmm thanks Kroger.You let us down

Advice to Management

Fix the problem or good talent that isn't management is going to go elsewhere.