Fred Meyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Fred Meyer President Joe Grieshaber
Joe Grieshaber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Well... it pays, right?"

Former Employee - Parcel in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Parcel in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Well, it pays...There's not much good to say about Freddie's.

Cons

Day after day after day, an employee can work her ass off and get very little recognition. Good luck trying to advance, too- if you get hired right before another employee's family member you're going to sit behind him your entire life.

Also, don't plan on getting injured-- the workman's comp system is carefully designed to make sure you lose your job as soon as they know you can't sue.

Advice to Management

Keep the low employees in mind. Yeah, they're easily replaceable, but they're the heart of your company.

2. "What's on Your List Today: Discrimination and Retaliation"

Current Employee - Apparel Clerk
    Current Employee - Apparel Clerk

Pros

College students who are only planning to be employed a short time may benefit from some managers willingness to accomodate a student schedule.

Cons

"Good ol'Boy" mentality among managers makes sure only white males and the occassional female get promoted. Human Resource is ineffective in dealing with complaints often resulting in retaliation by management. Not the sort of place you would want to work if you are the sort of person to blow the whistle on racial, sexual, or any other kind of personal discrimination.

Advice to Management

Take retaliation complaints seriously and investigate them without bias. Learn what diversity means in the workplace and terminate managers who show an obvious bias against others.

"Get treated like a doormat by customers and management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Pay is okay for a part time job. Many of the co-workers are really nice.

Cons

Management writes up employees for petty stuff. Customers are petty also about complaints and clerks are held responsible for it. The problem is these big corporations have become un-American. There is no respect for the employee. They get treated like doormats. Some customers come in to take advantage of the store and are allowed to get away with it so the honest customers pay higher prices to compensate for the scammers.

When management wants to fire you they will cook up ways to do it.

Advice to Management

Re-join the American culture and un-join the big corporate socialist mentality. Big corporations are socialistic in nature and are inclined to oppress those at the bottom. The United States will not survive as a nation when all there is are big corporations.

4. "good work, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Food PIC in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Food PIC in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This comapany has great benefits and great coworkers. pay is decent, and discounts are great. Flexible hours make it great for college students

Cons

No work life balance for full time employees. must be available 24/7. Many hazards related to being in an isolated zone. Senior regional staff plays the buddy system and hires people for store management positions that they are friends or family with. If you arent in their click then good luck. Feels like high school again. RDS is rude and generally avoids speaking with anyone he deems to be "beneath". Management is so concerend with the bottom dollar and their bonuses that they forget their employees. This prevents employees from having the tools they need to do their jobs. They are so focused on limiting hours that we cant get our jobs done. In order to have a set schedule you can plan a life around you have to have a key position but once you have a key position you need to be available 24/7 so you still cant make plans.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and care about your employees. Many long term employees are talking of leaving the company because of the recent direction we are taking. The core values of Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Diversity, Safety, and Inclusion are out the window right now. One of the most common things employees hear is that we must take ownership for our faults and our problems. The challenge is out for senior management to do the same.

5. "Painful"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed being able to meet my fellow cashiers and other underling type people. They are very nice for the most part. Some customers are great.

Cons

You don't get paid much, you're hours are always being cut, and they love to work you in only four hour shifts, but five days a week so you get the 20 hours required by union. This is despite management being informed that I would have to quit because I couldn't afford to drive to work because the amount I was being paid was barely enough to cover gas costs, let alone pay for rent or other crucial bills.
    The union is non-existent, I have never seen my union rep do anything for me, even when I called repeatedly requesting a meeting or even just to speak over the phone about a valid complaint about management, I was always told that the rep was in a meeting and would call me when they got out. I never received a call back.
    As a cashier, the job is very painful, the design of the check stands means that we are bent over all day stretching to grab groceries from well beyond the supposed "safe" limits. Very nearly all of my fellow cashiers and I have developed severe back problems from working, and have received no assistance to help fix these issues. Also many cashiers have developed wrist problems and shoulder injuries.

Advice to Management

Stop treating us like little kids. We are adults, and in some cases, older than you. Also start recognizing when your employees are having problems because of the environment at work.

6. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Springfield, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing that I enjoyed here.

Cons

The management is horrible. They favor shitty employees and are so blatant about it. Just one instance of this was when one employee literally walked out and left for home. The next day she was given a raise. The pay is horrible and the customer's are rude.

Advice to Management

If your going to favor certain employees, either do it more discretely or do it towards employees who actually do their job

"Standard retail, go nowhere career"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager Home Electronics
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager Home Electronics

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some discounts on purchases but it's just a trap to get you to put your pitiful salary back into the company.

Cons

All the bad that comes with working in retail: Inept management, mistreatment of the rank and file, profits over people.

Advice to Management

Refocus on providing great customer service and retaining valuable employees. Get out of the churn and burn mindset.

8. "The most degrading company that I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros are that if you don't work you get rewarded while those who put in an honest effort are viewed as a threat.

Cons

This company is unprofessional in every aspect of it's functions. From top level employees to low level workers. Upper management and district managers look to degrade and humiliate employees any way that they can. Sexual harassment, verbal aggression, mental and emotional abuse are rampant in the work environment. Customers are even treated poorly. The largest problem with this company is managements desire to create a hostile work place to prevent employees from doing their job. Management in this company enjoys watching their employees fight and disagree with one another. This is one way that the company has successfully divided the workforce to weaken the Union.

My advice to those who are currently working for this company is this: put behind you the differences, and the work performance of those who you work with. Stay strong and push back. The strength of united employees who are unionized scares the employer both Kroger and Fred Meyer.

Advice to Management

The employees are not objects, they are not ponds in a game. The employees are human beings that deserve to treated like such.

"Complete waste of effort."

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and discounts offered were easily above average, the fact that you can save on Kroger groceries was very useful. Pay only scales accordingly in FOD departments.

Cons

Over a decade working for Fred Meyer. Demoralizing lack of standards and procedures, or following policy. Grossly under staffed in most departments but FOD along with extremely limited resources to assist customers properly. General neglect for basic store functions and show-boating by upper management. Hostile red leadership by untrained and undisciplined management.

Advice to Management

I was told multiple times that management training was 'you're not at work to make friends', this is a poor foundation for a 'community store'.

"poor communication among employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers were the only reason I was there.

Cons

Poor communication from management team... does not give proper training for success. if they don't like you then you get terminated and don't give you a reason why? You get hired only part-time and have to pay union dues. the union did nothing for me except take a portion of my minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Communication--- if you expect your employees to do a good job and succeed . let us know what the expectations are... don't set the employees up for failure and not give them a chance to improve. Correct the behavior, train, mentor, coach, communicate, be a team leader, extra support when needed? Every manager had different styles and nothing was consistent, so you never really knew what you were supposed to do?