Fred Meyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Joe Grieshaber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "freds"

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time

Pros

a job to get you some cash. n

Cons

not livable wages at the moment

Advice to Management

give your people steady hours and decent pay. you will keep more new people

2. "Good for short term employment only"

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time

Pros

Having great coworkers makes the day better!

Cons

-Compensation
    -Benefits
    -A general feeling of neglect by corporate and upper management.
    -Problems do not get solved only patched enough for it to pass. An example of this would be our A\C unit has been broken for about 5 years. One half of the store is okay but the other half is a furnace. Grocery took a pallet of chocolate over to the hot side of the store and it started melting pretty quick. So instead of addressing the air conditioning problem we moved the melted chocolate pile over to the cool side of the store. I understand it cant be fixed in a day or even a week, but it's been five years! It's this kind of stuff that happens all the time.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. They are not robots!

3. "One of the best "Part Time Plus" jobs around"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very positive work & shopping vibe. Management is friendly and respectful. Extremely inclusive toward LGBT employees. The store I work at is busy enough for 'part-time' employees to get nearly full-time hours for much of the year. Health coverage is very good, especially dental. You might also get credit for past retail or grocery work experience (remember to bring it up in the interview!), making it possible to reach journeyman pay a lot sooner. Opportunities to become involved in union activity, and economic justice work.

Cons

Pay raises are very slow for several years, but credit for past experience can allow you to bypass the first year or two of "hour grinding." There are very few official full-time positions....HR tends to lowball scheduled hours, and then call people in early / keep late as needed. Health benefits require 6 or 7 months for eligibility. Deli & coffee departments in particular, need better journey pay.

Advice to Management

On balance, they are doing pretty good. The biggest thing to work on fixing is lowball scheduling. Please try to schedule hours according to "good faith estimates" of the volume of business.

4. "Company Turned Sour, Mistreats Employees"

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get in if you just need a job, pays above minimum wage in most positions/locations, most stores are part of a union, medical benefits are available depending on your hours, dental after 3 years, paid time off, sick pay, personal days.

Cons

Since management restructuring happening throughout the company over the last year, things have taken a very dramatic spiral downward. Management and ASMs do not receive proper training for the positions they are given and are over-worked, underpaid, and have no idea how to handle the stress and power they have. This often results in the mistreatment of employees.

The new message Fred Meyer is sending to their employees is that everyone is replaceable and they don't care how you're treated. It is a frequent trend throughout many stores to allow customer to verbally abuse and harass employees and management now does the same thing. The ASMs abuse the managers, the managers abuse their subordinates; no one cares to change this and if you speak up about it you're informed that it's normal and nothing is wrong. Most of the people I know who haven't been able to leave yet are showing signs of abuse and major depressive episodes and the symptoms that come with those things.

Upper management, including HR, frequently hide information from employees so they can not use it to their advantage. Almost everyone I know, including managers, have been lied to by upper management at some point about things they are allowed to/not allowed to do. If you ask a question, for example about paid medical leave to take care of your bed-ridden child, you will be lied to and given ambiguous half-answers which frequently result in pay loss because you "didn't complete the process correctly" as you will be informed of after the fact.

There are very few opportunities to move up within the company if you begin at store level. If you start in the store, you can feasibly expect to become some kind of supervisor at best, possibly you will be able to go through management training and become an underpaid assistant manager. You will most likely not be able to advance your career to the office.

The office teams are mostly unhelpful and much like the untrained managers, most seem to have no idea what they're doing. In any department where you have to communicate with the office staff it becomes quite clear that they do not have the answers or ability to assist you with what you need to do on a regular basis nor do they care to correct this. They hire Buyers as blanket "buying staff" and then put them in charge of whatever category they need them in instead of hiring someone who would actually work well in that position. I've never seen one of the Buyer trainees (who are required to do in-store training) be placed in a position they knew anything about. This results in terrible buying decisions which then put cheap, unwanted product on the shelves, which then result in huge monetary loss not only for individual stores but for the company as a whole. The company would rather blame "the market" or store workers than accept that they are doing something wrong and change their strategy.

Advice to Management

Start some actual management training instead of just having trainees shadow existing managers, retrain all your management, do not promote the Red Manager tactic, learn how to treat everyone with respect and care, undergo sensitivity training, stand up for yourselves when you are being treated unfairly by your own superiors, do not continue the cycle of abuse, listen to your employees when they have problems and work with them to find actual solutions, remember that happy employees will be happier to help customers, remember that you and your employees are both people with feelings and struggles outside the workplace.

5. "Grocery Parcel"

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people out a d or associate discounts

Cons

It is lmost always busy

6. "They always want more from you without offering anything in return."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Salem, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with.

Cons

They say customer service is top priority, then, cut everyone's hours to the bare minimum so there's no one available to help the customers.

Advice to Management

Don't cut the hours so low.

7. "Bad policy"

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Twin Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Twin Falls, ID

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good and fine

Cons

Bad policy so yeah all I have to say

Advice to Management

Do employee surveys for policy changes

8. "A friendly place to work"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to use system for requesting time off and seeing schedule two weeks in advance online. I could also easily access my payment information and pay stub a day before direct deposit which was helpful.

The other employees were friendly and helpful with learning my way around. There is a strong community feeling. I expected most people to be new hires. Lots of turnover. Many people had been there five or more years. They seem to take care of their employees

They encourage growth within the company so if you're interested in a higher up position it seems like it would be fairly easy to move up.

Cons

Management structure was a little rocky at times and it seemed like certain departments faired better than others.

Requesting time off, while easy, was often loaded in judgement. I oftened worked far more hours or far fewer hours than expected. There wasn't a lot of stability in my schedule. I never knew which days to expect off and rarely had weekends free.

Advice to Management

Improve the communication system between higher management and managers.

9. "Fred Meyer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my bosses and coworkers, bosses are always quick to defuse situations with customers, management actually cares about you as a person

Cons

Not enough hours, bosses dont listen to criticism of employees they like, part time employees cant get benefits, benefits can be taken away every quarter

10. "Pharmacy"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better staffed than most retail pharmacies.

Cons

Outside management tries to regulate things they know nothing about. Implements software changes without notifying employees.

Advice to Management

Before telling staff that they can handle extra work, work with them to see how they manage what they already have.