Fred Meyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Fred Meyer Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the greatest (in 25 reviews)

• Full time employees must have 100% open availability (in 26 reviews)

1. "Cake decorator/bakery clerk"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits. free food every so often. Easy to request time off. Sick, holiday, and vacation pay. Theoretically there is advancement potential. Union. Customers and co-workers are mostly nice. Pay is okay, not great.

Cons

They seem to decide who they want for a position, then do the interviews as a formality. Poor support infrastructure. If your equipment breaks you have to be on hold for a long time to get to talk to the help desk, then a technician takes their sweet time getting there and often doesn't fix the problem the first visit. Also the warehouse shorts your orders all the time and then you're held accountable for not having a product in stock. The osat program surveys customers constantly and the department gets a stern talking to if the numbers are down or even the same. Raises are union negotiated and not performance based. Bad work life balance, since almost nobody gets regular hours or set days off. If you want hours you have to work "clopens"

Advice to Management

Be fair with your promotions. Provide support instead of criticism when departments face problems out of their control. Recognize associates for job well done and don't focus so much on the osat survey numbers, and structure so people can have regular hours.

2. "I have worked at Fred Meyer for 4 years and it is an amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working at Fred Meyers because I get to feel like I actually make a difference in the way the day flows. I can ensure that my team will succeed and can come to me with questions about standards and course of action.

Cons

Policies tend to change way too often at Fred Meyer. I feel like the crew is finally trained and remembers to do what they need to. Then it changes again.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to focus more on individuals and making sure everyone feels heard.

3. "Love it"

Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the benefits and the flexability

Cons

Stressful, busy, Holidays usually working.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The actual work isn't bad. There is a lot to do but nothing unreasonable.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism among the management and everyone isn't held to the same standards.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees based on the job they do not if you hang out after work or not.

6. "Retail Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers were nice most of the time. Co workers that weren't in my department were nice. Sometimes free food in break room.

Cons

No work life balance terrible hours. Don't work with you on your hours at all. My manager scheduled me everyday from 2-11pm on the register in the clothing department. Gave me no opportunity to learn anything else I was supposed to learn I had talked to her about it several times and she scheduled me on the floor for a couple hours some days then on the register the rest of the time. My manager also didn't care to manage our department I would have co workers from other departments come over and tell me she was telling them great work and stuff but giving no recognition to anybody in my department. 3/4 of co workers in my department were just lazy and getting better hours than me which was ridiculous. Assistant manager of my department was more of a manager to us. I was pregnant while working for this company and when I was done with my work I would just ask for a chair to sit in because my feet would kill me after a while and with all the other things that were up by the register that were work projects I was doing including putting merchandise on hangers to be hung up and hung on a big rack and carts with boxes of shoes, etc other assistant manager would tell me a chair is a trip hazard. She would tell me If I would have to sit down to tell someone to cover me at the register and go back to the back to sit down. Even customers would ask me why I'm standing up here without a chair to occasionally sit down. Then when trying to put in my application over the phone for a leave when I was going to have my daughter the phone system wouldn't work and I went to HR to seek out help and she just told me to keep trying to call them when the call kept dropping every there was a problem with their system so I didn't get to even apply for my leave.

Advice to Management

Management wasn't even present. I think HR should do anonymous reviews of managers to make sure they are doing their job correctly. They don't recognize hard workers. And if a chair is a trip hazard isn't anything considered a trip hazard? Just wondering...

7. "Good job for students or retired folks"

Current Employee - PIC/Home Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - PIC/Home Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and the pay is pretty good for the work you do.

Cons

Not a place i would want to work long term (even though I have while going to school). Direct managers are pretty good, but upper level coordinators are not grounded and don't see what really going on in the stores.

8. "medium job"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent, pays every week, generally friendly people.

Cons

raises based only on time in place.

Advice to Management

Merit based Raises, give PIC's more of a pay increase then .25/HR

9. "Recent changes in vacation and payouts to vacation, insurance problems!"

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be happy. But I'm upset right now. Stated in the console my pros as well.

Cons

So I have worked for the company for a few years now at a few different chains in a few different states.Each time transferring easily to my current postion in the pharmacy.

So after working for Wal-Mart for 8+ years I was fairly pleased with Kroger. I felt I was treated fair. There were decent benefits, hours, and decent pay. It wasn't until this past 6 months or so when the "OFFICAL" KROGER takeover of the store I have been at for the past 3 years that I have started to feel like they don't care anymore.

We have had 3 different HR people, none that know much of anything. You are better off looking it up yourself on the BarneyWeb or calling Total Rewards. They are starting to take away more hours and give us higher expectations for the less hours. Whatever, that is common of corporate but its frustrating.

The most recent and irritating incident involves updates to the VACATION POLICY. It is posted on our main benefits site. The site ALL associates access for ALL benefits. Right at the top of the page.

So like others did I would assume, I clicked the link and read it. Things sounded good, more vacation, new vesting dates, etc. Etc. Well turns out, its not for us.

Just MANAGEMENT! SOMEONE TAKE IT OFF THE WEBSITE THEN. Then theres the issue of insurance. Cant even go to a dentist here this year.

No ones in network. We can gile a claim, and it might get paid.

Hmmm thanks Kroger.You let us down

Advice to Management

Fix the problem or good talent that isn't management is going to go elsewhere.

10. "Upheaval"

Former Employee - Health and Beauty Department in Lynwood Center, WA
    Former Employee - Health and Beauty Department in Lynwood Center, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers can create a very tight bond, lunchroom break room and locker room was very open and most everybody did there part to keep it kept up

Cons

Constant change of the management and the security and has little room to move up or around departments. Cliques are apparaent

Advice to Management

Have more frequent multiple department meetings, get out more info on transitions within management and be open to discussion about possible in store promotions

11. "Pharmacy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Union, competitive pay, flexible shifts

Cons

Retail hours, standing shifts,