Fred Meyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Was great, Kroger has ruined the environment though."

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The insurance and pay when you get to journeyman. Also the coworkers are pretty great. Five more words now twenty

Cons

Not staffed enough, long work weeks. (50+hours) the union can be both good and a waste of money. Now twenty

2. "Apparel Clerk"

Current Employee - Apparel Clerk
    Current Employee - Apparel Clerk

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an unionized job. Pretty easy job , too- just answer phones, clean the department and open fitting rooms. Some of the regular customers are really nice. The pay winds up being okay, even if it takes awhile to get there. Best part of the job though is the people you work with; you really bond with your coworkers.

Cons

Rude customers, of course, though that's every job. Hiring too many people at once seems to be a problem, at least at my store. It cuts everyone's hours to the bare minimum - sometimes even the full-time employees sacrifice some of their hours just so the part-timers can afford rent! Takes forever to get a raise. Can get stressful during the holidays and people get more rude when you run out of the item they want for Christmas. Somehow always feel short-handed even with a decent amount of employees in the department.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many people at once! It cuts the hours to the bare minimum and just irritates everyone. Trust that your long-term employees can handle the job themselves. There are plenty of people in the department to begin with; we don't need five or six new hires. Also, LISTEN to your employees' concerns; don't just brush everything off. It makes us feel like you don't care.

3. "Front End Parcel"

Current Employee - CCK Parcel in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - CCK Parcel in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, shifts available to change as needed. Full benefits to part time employees. Medical benefits to employees after six months. Also includes bonuses for employees that manage to find and report thieves to loss prevention.

Cons

Lots of physical labor for little pay. High expectations and stressful management makes working harder than it should be. Only working with one other person for the entire store is frustrating as it's a big, busy place.

4. "Loss Prevention Specialist review"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, advancement opportunities, job security.

Cons

My current position has not gotten a wage increase in four years. Smaller retail company's pay better for the same position. I find that unacceptable for Kroger/Fred Meyer.

Currently there are a lot of changes. Loss Prevention will now me Asset Protection. They may downsize the LP/AP department soon. Kroger is doing a lot to Fred Meyer and moving people to different positions.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the market and see what other retailers are paying for the same position. You're losing to Amazon.

5. "It really is a mindless job. All you really need to do is give good customer service and clean."

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Tumwater, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with the schedule. So if you're a student or a mom that only wants to work part-time & only have certain hours you could work, fred Meyers would work around your schedule. At least for the managers that I've worked with. So if you're in school & want some gas money or already have a full-time job but still want that extra cash, fred Meyers might be a good place to work at for you. Not to mention this store has practically everything & you can get discount on most of the merchandise sold in store, most.

Cons

Room for advancement is very little. They like to keep you at your minimum hourly wage so they won't have to pay you what you really deserve. Rarely gives full-time positions. You have to beg to get more hours because the management likes to keep the hours so that they can get bigger bonuses themselves, while all the associates live paycheck by paycheck. They promote people they want to get rid of & just transfer them to another branch because they are too scared to talk to/ discipline the people that needs to be put in their place. While excellent workers get nothing in return. Though you do get discounts on most items that they sell in the store, a lot of the food items are excluded. Even in the Deli &Bakery.

Advice to Management

What happened to treating your associates farely? If you only give your associates little time to do their work & do customer service, of course one of those will suffer! Either nothing will get done up to standards or excellent customer service will be down the drain. Instead of cutting the regular associate hours, Stop hiring useless people and cherish the good associates that already work for your company. Also, discounts on Deli & Bakery items should be available for associates. Afterall, we are your biggest customers.

6. "A friendly place to work"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to use system for requesting time off and seeing schedule two weeks in advance online. I could also easily access my payment information and pay stub a day before direct deposit which was helpful.

The other employees were friendly and helpful with learning my way around. There is a strong community feeling. I expected most people to be new hires. Lots of turnover. Many people had been there five or more years. They seem to take care of their employees

They encourage growth within the company so if you're interested in a higher up position it seems like it would be fairly easy to move up.

Cons

Management structure was a little rocky at times and it seemed like certain departments faired better than others.

Requesting time off, while easy, was often loaded in judgement. I oftened worked far more hours or far fewer hours than expected. There wasn't a lot of stability in my schedule. I never knew which days to expect off and rarely had weekends free.

Advice to Management

Improve the communication system between higher management and managers.

7. "freds"

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time

Pros

a job to get you some cash. n

Cons

not livable wages at the moment

Advice to Management

give your people steady hours and decent pay. you will keep more new people

8. "Pharmacy"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better staffed than most retail pharmacies.

Cons

Outside management tries to regulate things they know nothing about. Implements software changes without notifying employees.

Advice to Management

Before telling staff that they can handle extra work, work with them to see how they manage what they already have.

9. "Fred Meyer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my bosses and coworkers, bosses are always quick to defuse situations with customers, management actually cares about you as a person

Cons

Not enough hours, bosses dont listen to criticism of employees they like, part time employees cant get benefits, benefits can be taken away every quarter

10. "Fred Meyer Salmon Creek"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10-20% discount, management is friendly and genuinely care about you

Cons

Management does not always listen when you tell them a coworker is negatively affecting customer experiences

Advice to Management

LISTEN to staff when they tell you an employee is not doing their job correctly and negatively impacting customers' experiences at the store