Freddie Mac Reviews | Glassdoor

Freddie Mac CEO Donald H. Layton
Donald H. Layton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You usually won't see or hear much from senior management (in 31 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be compromised at times (in 13 reviews)

1. "Non-Officer"

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

Flexible hours (come early leave early; come late leave late).
    Reasonable work/life balance..
    Better health insurance than most places.

Cons

Basically everything else.

For all the talk about changing the culture and being our best, this is a company full of petty people who are set in their ways and extremelly territorial about their fiefdoms. This comes from the top down. There are a handful of EVPs and SVPs who are genuinely smart, hard-working, admirable individuals. However, the vast majority of them seem to have jobs for life.

I've never seen so many ethical issues in one company. I've had to stand up to company officers a coulple times when I was asked to do things that weren't illegal but were not good business practice. I reported a third situation to the ethics hotline and I was told a few weeks later that an investigagion was done but there was nothing wrong with the department head's behavior.

Advice to Management

Reign in SIngle Family.
    Hire smart people from outside the housing industry and teach them.
    Stop hiring former Fannie people.

"Not a great place to work for Experienced Professionals"

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and benefits. Not much else

Cons

Huge diversity issue, especially in IT division where at least 70% or more are Indian. No parking after 9 am. Lack of vision and leadership.

Advice to Management

Change the hiring practice to create more balanced work force with diversity. Common! anyone can see this is just not right.

3. "Not a good experience"

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

work life balance.. good 401k match

Cons

HR provides vacation days , but some department won’t allow vacation if you don’t have backup, making it very hard during holiday season.
    Leadership lacking people management skills, they carry final authority above everything and always surrounded by like minded individuals.
    WFH : Monday, Fridays are not allowed
    1-1 : no career development discussion, i had about 2-3 1-1 during my 2 yrs stay

Advice to Management

Bring culture change, promote diversity, open environment , promote autonomy.
    Have leadership undergo trainings, so they can foster a healthy work environment where employee need to worry about the work and only work
    Have employess plan vacation, wfh as per their need. it shouldn’t be too much controlled by hiring manager.

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Pay are good but no 401k match in the first year.
    Cafeteria in HQ is great!
    Some really great junior and manger staff that want to do great things but not allowed to act on their ideas because of leadership.

Cons

High attrition rate, especially in IT - Greater than 35% attrition in some divisions
    Director/VPs will terminate employees for trivial reasons
    If you speak out or disagree with leadership they will manage you out or terminate you.
    There is absolutely no job security! No matter what they tell you!
    Massive turnover at all levels - especially in leadership, re-orgs are frequent
    Legacy Culture/Old way of thinking, especially in IT.
    Virtually impossible to get training, even for local events.
    Work trumps everything, no respect for work life balance.
    There is a lot of micromanagement, red tape, and administrative overhead.

Advice to Management

Preach culture but they don't actually implement it.
    Employees have very little say, all decisions are made by leadership and employees are blamed and terminated if something goes wrong.
    Why aren't VPs held accountable for toxic culture and passive aggressive behavior?
    Treat employees well and they will accomplish great things but create a toxic work culture and employees will shut down and hate their jobs.

"Stay Clear"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, location, parking, end of day

Cons

Management is not supportive, VPs are unapproachable. No one is happy being there and if you don’t want to be part of the “Mean Girls” club, you may want to look for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and initiate a 360 feedback program and know that those in a leadership position are anything but leaders. Poorly managed with VPs on a pedestal.

6. "DO NOT work here as a contractor"

Current Contractor - Senior Technical Leader in McLean, VA
    Current Contractor - Senior Technical Leader in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There is a pretty decent cafeteria.

Cons

Freddie Mac treats contractors like third-world slaves. The seating arrangements is where it starts. There are several hundred contractors in the building (HQ4) where I work that share "tables" that pass as work space. These are not temporary assignments. I'm talking about a table that is about 2.5 X 6 feet with TWO people assigned to sit there. The spot where I work has 8 people in 72 square feet. And there are hundreds of people in my building with the same seating.

Meanwhile there are plenty of empty cubicles that are off limits for contractors. I counted 63 between my desk and the bathroom which is about 30 yards away. And there are whole areas that are completely empty.

Think about that for a second. Freddie Mac has a corporate policy to treat contractors this way. It's shocking. I didn't even think to ask about working conditions when I interviewed. Would never have dreamed it would be this bad. And would not have taken the gig ... now I'm stuck for at least a year of dodging and weaving to find my seat and getting bumped and excuse-me'd all day long while co-workers move to and from their postage-stamp squats. And the worst part about it is ... it appears to be a racist policy. Over 90% of the contractors are brown-skinned people. And they never complain. But it's not hard to connect the dots ... when the contractor population is so compliant, Freddie gets creepy-cheapy about designing work space. And it doesn't stop there. The way contractors are treated at Freddie is shocking. Go somewhere else! There are plenty of contracting gigs in the D.C. area ... you will regret taking a contractor job at Freddie Mac especially since the FTEs have no clue about Agile software development. So, no good experience to off-set the crappy treatment.

Oh, and before I forget ... they make you park your car about 3/4 mile away and then shuttle to the office. FTEs get to park in the building Contractors park a few blocks away. This adds up to an HOUR to your commute every day depending on how long you wait for the shuttle! Freddie Mac SUCKS for contractors.

Advice to Management

Stop treating contractors like cattle ... or sardines.

"Culture of ignorance, servitude, and magical thinking."

Former Employee - Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

EEO protected groups enjoy significant advantage and job security.

Cons

Nothing gets done.
    Personal hygiene is optional.
    Employees sit two to a desk, six to a table.
    Contract workers are treated lower than dogs.
    Visa workers are treated lower than Contract workers.
    None of the skills you will learn here are applicable to the real world.

Advice to Management

Brush your teeth, take a shower, wear some deodorant.

8. "Sr. Product Development"

Former Employee - Senior Product Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits
    nice on site campus
    decent pay

Cons

culture of the company or your experience depends heavily on your direct manager
    upper management far removed and ineffectual - they pick personal favorites --at times to the point of being discriminatory.
    company is very top heavy when it comes to managers and above

"Multi Family IT is horrible"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There a very select handful of good managers and workers. I can count them on the fingers of just one hand. The experience at ITPMO was awesome.

Cons

Multifamily IT has a notorious group of people who form clicks, dont share information and literally act like kindergarten kids who have traits and tendecies of high school bullies! People here even seem to have hard time smiling at people who dont belong to thier closed group! Envoronment and mangement is below average. Top management is the worst at resource planning and doesnt care for the team. Middle management does not even bother to know what the team does from people managers instead expects team to blow thier horns and make a show rather than actually focus on doing work.

Advice to Management

Whats the point? A GSE that gets bailed out even after severe blunders has leadership that cares less no matter what!

"not good for hard working people who are in the early stage of their career"

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

good 401k match, some teams have good work life balance

Cons

compensation not tied to performance, too much office politics, promotion is based on years of experience rather than merit

Advice to Management

change the culture of middle level management