FreeWave Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Kim Niederman

1. "good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good collaboration, excellent, qualified people and very good pay

Cons

There seems to be some confusion about the path forward

May 26, 2016

Response by Kim Niederman: Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback. While we have spent a lot of time communicating a vision for our products and markets, the market itself has ... More

2. "Good company getting stronger"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support within the teams/departments.
    Company is aggressive in new and better technology for the now and future.
    Most employees here are active in the continued growth of this company and not just waiting for it to happen.
    Great facility to work in.
    Customer satisfaction is a key value.

Cons

Understaffing has put extra stress on everyone.
    Sometimes extra hours are required and at times with very little notice.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is the person and not the process that needs corrective action.

Apr 13, 2016

Response from Kim Niederman: Thank you for the feedback! Collectively, we have been working very hard on satisfying our customers with new technologies that will solve real world problems for our ... More

3. "FreeWave has potential"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for with exciting products and a nice work environment. There are some exciting new products that have just been released that I think will take off and become very profitable in the future.

Cons

Too many projects going on at once with accelerated schedules and short on staff; too much to do in too little time, which can create a lot of stress.

Advice to Management

Appears that management has a clear idea of what direction they need to be heading in to gain more of the market and make FW more profitable. A lot of money was invested to develop some new exciting products that just haven't taken hold yet (they will in time though I think). The company founder is a visionary with some great ideas and I think he will make FW a billion-dollar-company in the near future! (It has a lot of potential).

Oct 5, 2015 – Human Resources

Response from Kim Niederman: Thank you for your post. I agree! We have a lot of excitement building. The team has been working hard to introduce some new and exciting products that will change ... More

"Vision vs. Execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boulder, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Senior Management has ambitions vision for new directions for company growth.
    - Installed base and history of delivering reliable solutions in various vertical markets.
    - Excellent reliable access solutions for M2M

Cons

- Sr. Management has little value for personal capital.
    - Non scale-able channel model
    - Lack of continuity in engineering development.
    - Startup mode for new products & technologies.
    - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish.

Advice to Management

- Diagnose before you prescribe. Spend more time in determining the potential market demand for technology before committing resources for development.
    - Balance financial pressures with sustainability for operations. The most expensive OpEx is always the hiring, training and development of new staff.
    - Trust the people you hire to make decisions, delegate authority, communicate early and often.

Oct 14, 2015 – Human Resources

Response from Kim Niederman: I appreciate you taking the time to post on this site. Feedback from employees – both current and former – only helps us to improve! Perhaps the most insightful ... More

"This radio company may surprise us all."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Drive, hunger and some of the smartest people I've worked with and for. I am beginning to think that this little company is going to surprise us all but only if they heed the advice below. The culture is horribly damaged.

Cons

Some layoffs to correct the ship for success. Communication could be improved by including critical employees in solutions. There are some very smart people working there and there are some strong egos as well. Leadership realized too late, the impact of poor employee attitudes on others. Kept egos and let go of critical thinkers.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, you have nothing to lose by doing this. Employees notice that there are three members of management whose housing is fully paid for by the company, yet lays off just happened in order to save money. If you intend on getting employees onboard with your initiatives, you must be men of character (I say men because the only woman on executive staff resigned) and integrity, that means sacrificing fancy second homes for executives and keeping solid performers. Those left will only be burdened by the lack of support and the increase in duties left behind while two or three of you fly home every Thursday to be with your families.

Jul 31, 2015 – Human Resources

Response from Kim Niederman: Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I agree with your point that transparency is critically important. That is precisely why we hold monthly company ... More

"Procrastination gets you nowhere"

Former Employee - Sales in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Boulder, CO

Pros

Vertically integrated
    Equitable customer base and channel of distribution
    Commendable support of heritage products

Cons

New executive team with little or no radio knowledge
    Lack of complimentary products
    Small and obsolete manufacturing facility
    Unethical treatment of former employees
    Obsession with local competitive radio manufacturer
    Vacuum of independent/dependent market research
    Reliance on disintermedation, especially with IoT
    Susceptible to elastic demand

Advice to Management

You are either a radio company or you are not. Develop new radio products or find another niche market - but stop procrastinating and costing people their jobs.

Jul 23, 2015 – Human Resources

Response from Kim Niederman: Six months ago, I would have agreed with a few of your points above. That is why we have spent a lot of time developing our go to market strategy and supported it with ... More

"So much potential"

Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to grow since leadership is weak. Direction has been lacking for a while. Got rid of a couple of execs and the one replacement is great. Need a couple more, though.

Cons

Don't join if you want to be a sheep. This is a place to put your ideas into action. If you just want to be told what to do everyday, or hide in the drapery, go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Execs need to form policy, managers need to figure out how to execute that policy. They both need to listed to each other.

"Could've went the distance..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's in Boulder, right next to the mountains.

Cons

You won't be free to enjoy the mountains...or at least that was the case when I left. 60-70 hour work weeks became the norm. 50-55, even on salaried would've been fine, welcome, and accepted had they kept the corporate culture that was present at the time I hired on full-time. They forgot/lost themselves somewhere along the way and never quite found themselves again.

Compensation started out with an unbelieveable profit sharing plan (part of what sold me on the place...)- but like the saying goes about something being too good to be true, it only worked when they cleared big profits. Those days are completely gone now with no good vision if they'll ever come back to them, combined with a trending to doing away with the practice altogether.

Advice to Management

Find the company's roots. New product should be worthy instead of cheap Chinese/India knock offs given final assembly in Boulder. Quit worrying so much about brownfields- and figure out how to make a modern solution. One size does not fit all and you can fabricate radios that work as replacements to your legacy technology, but built with modern tech. You can reach for high performance and distance- without resting on "standards compliant gear" that doesn't work well in the first place. You were great once. You were great when I signed on, with a bright future. When I left, you were imploding. Still are from what I've been told. Go back to what made you great. It's not hard. Just un-do some of the things you moved to- they don't work.

Jul 9, 2015 – Human Resources

Response from Kim Niederman: Thank you for your feedback. I agree that FreeWave should never sell products that don’t meet a high quality standard to our customers and partners. That is why we ... More

"A Grim Place To Work"

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building looking more and more empty. Sweet bike trails.

Cons

The depressing chipping away of every little employee perk from the SEP and bonuses, to gym membership to free pop. All of it is going away or already went. There is constant talk about change* as if it’s a great thing and that everyone is supposed to be so happy about it, but then people are disappearing. People are just suddenly gone and other people are “promoted” which is really just a pile on of more work without more pay rather than real promotions. I knew it was bad but I kept hoping it will get better, maybe things will improve soon. But it just went from bad to horrible.

I write this as a warning because I know they are always hiring. Talk to people who work there. This is not a company just changing and redefining itself. The fake cheerfulness doesn’t fool anyone. It actually made things worse (kind of like the fake reviews on this site.) It just shows how bad things really are.

Like other former employees I do feel bad for people who are still there. For their sake I do hope things get better. But sadly, things will probably only get better for them when they leave that place.

Advice to Management

People are not objects. Your employees deserve respect even in times of crisis. In fact it should be in hard times that you treat your employees really well, especially as you give them more and more work and take away benefits that were part of their hiring package. I’ve seen good people suddenly gone for the most arbitrary, backwards reasons. Talent does not grow on trees. Stop acting (and firing people) as if people are just cogs to replace so easily. Clearly that hasn’t been the case, yet the practice of pushing out talent still happens and continues to cripple your company. Sharing past mistakes, then making new and even worse mistakes just shows how little management really learned from history.

You’ve lost a lot of really great people. Try to value the people you have left.

"Seemed like a good fit, at first."

Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at FreeWave Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An opportunity to be a part of what I thought was a legendary company, some great colleagues, some short lived fun times. Like most reviewers here, I thought the move from the old office to the new office was a good choice. The new office is really nice. I also liked the free drinks and fresh fruit every day. It gave the impression of a company that cared for its employees. But impressions can often be deceiving.

Cons

My first 6 months were great. I made some fantastic friends and felt really good about my decision to join a company that had such a good reputation in the marketplace. Add in the bonus and SEP schemes and it felt like Christmas. But then things drastically changed for the worse.

Impossible deadlines, poor management, hostility, disrespect, and a clear lack of direction. Being critical of anything was a big NO NO! Anything remotely perceived as negative would get you fired, even if you were awesome at your job. The short sightedness of these decisions really worried me. Seriously, who wants to work under conditions such as those? When you can't be critical of where the problems lay how are you supposed to fix said problems?

I genuinely feel sorry for the people who still work there. It's an oppressive place to spend your days.
    Then there's compensation. No SEP for Q3/Q4 '14 and by all accounts it won't be coming back, ever. Bonuses were never part of the equation for me even though it was part of the "package" I signed for.

Overall, a professional mistake on my part, but I did take away some good life lessons and great friends.

Advice to Management

If you want credibility on this site it's probably best not to leave fake reviews that paint a false picture of what is really going on. Because there appears to be a lot going on.

And I think everyone knows that treating your staff with respect wins you respect. I was on the receiving end of some pretty disrespectful interactions that ultimately led to my desire to get out. Disrespect wins you nothing but failure. Putting yourselves in the shoes of employees would bring some benefit to your leadership, which was often questioned by numerous employees during my time there.

Lead from the front and take care of your people, because at some point you'll have nobody left but yourselves. And where will you be then?