Freedom Communications Employee Reviews about "bankruptcy"

Updated Oct 18, 2016

2.9
Freedom Communications President, CEO, and Director Mitchell Stern
Mitchell Stern
Pros
  • "Good benefits - very competitive for the industry(in 4 reviews)

• "Great people- lots of growth and expansion into new markets(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Newspaper industry struggling and will continue to do so(in 6 reviews)

• "The company was in transition from bankruptcy to being acquired by an investment firm and then sold off by property(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "bankruptcy"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Sales Manager"

4.0

I have been working at Freedom Communications full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my team members and the teams we worked with. New products were rolled out on a regular basis with plenty of training.

Cons

The company was in transition from bankruptcy to being acquired by an investment firm and then sold off by property.

2. "Journalist"

Former Employee - Journalist in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Freedom Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

From 1980-2002, a fast moving, competitive organization owned by the Hoiles family. Decent pay, good benefits, outstanding esprit de corps among staff. Really smart, fun colleagues. Lots of innovation.

Cons

The management was always very bureaucratic, but beginning in 2003, with the entry of private equity "partners", top executives became fixated on bottom line and pushed out editors and reporters who didn't fit their bland mold. With first bankruptcy in 2009, the company was completely under control of private equity, who started selling off assets, and paid themselves huge management fees. Any gross profits went to a small number of investors at the top. Management turnover left the company to be run by people whose only prior business experience was in greeting cards or casinos. Company went bankrupt again in 2016 and the carcass sold to notoriously tight-fisted Digital First Media, who continued with cutbacks.

3. "Sales"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Freedom Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people and the fast pace keep things interesting. Good exposure to clients across many different business segments

Cons

Chaotic changes in top management, company in bankruptcy and restructuring with new ownership for the second time in less than 4 years

4. "Account Manager Majors and National"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Freedom Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with a great team

Cons

We are in bankruptcy and don't have much direction

Continue reading

"It used to be so amazing here."

I have been working at Freedom Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everyone whose left is great to work with. Despite all the calamity around us everyone is still trying to make the best of it.

Cons

The company is in stress. Difficult to find motivation past helping out coworkers. Always feels a looming sale, layoff, or bankruptcy.

Continue reading
  6. "Frustrated, overworked staff"

Reporter in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I have been working at Freedom Communications

Pros

The majority of the people in the newsroom are good friends who hang out together a lot outside of work. If you want to gain or improve your computer/job skills, there is always someone willing to teach you.

Cons

The company cut salaries by 5% to dig themselves out of bankruptcy but did not discontinue management bonuses. Now (in 2011), 2% has been reinstated. But, the rest is considered a raise that must be approved by management. They currently are not giving raises. The assignment editor is a nag who makes the newsroom a stressful place to be. The staff once met after work to discuss ways to get back to enjoying the work environment. it boiled down to ways to handle and work around her.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.