Freedonia Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey Weiss

1. "Custom Research Analyst"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Freedonia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy in my work, great formal communication structure, great communication among team members, everyone here is really smart

Cons

Sitting at the computer all day due to the nature of the work, but we get up and take walks every so often

2. "Short-timers and lifers only"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is low to start but they were good about giving annual reviews with cost of living and merit increases. The dress code is casual. If you like quiet, independent, focused work, this is a good place to grind out a couple of years while you figure out your career path or apply to grad schools. Company does seem to take pride in providing a high quality product and you can't really phone anything in and stick around here long. There aren't any dummies working here and people are fairly serious about the work.

Cons

Annual reviews (and other discipline) can be harsh and picayune. Computer use and log-in/log-out times are monitored by senior management who seem to have nothing better to do. It seems like people either spend a couple years here, or their entire career, and there is a bizarre tendency to venerate the old-times even if their behavior is inappropriate. Clannish atmosphere which is disguised as social activity - my coworkers were nice enough but who wants to spend evenings and weekends talking about work? The nature of the work pretty much eliminates any chance to be creative or to innovate - marching in lock-step is the order of the day.

Advice to Management

I see the company has been acquired & I'm not familiar with new management.

3. "The lunch room is empty"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst Intern in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can wear what you want when you want and how you want it. That is nice because I saw a guy with a Mario t-shirt and a tatted calf and I knew I was in a place where no one cared.

Cons

The lunch room that everyone was raving about for 3 years is just an empty wasteland that no one wants to go near. It is seriously probably the most depressing place in a 35-mile radius. Also, I think they laid off an 80-year-old woman. I have no idea how some people stay at this place for the entirety of their careers.

Advice to Management

You should pay your employees a living wage and stop laying off old ladies.

4. "Stay Away"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None since the company was acquired in 2016.

Cons

The new management lies to its employees. I'd give it 0 stars if I could.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees.

"You'll only be stopping by..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dress code is very casual, there is a decent work environment, and for a bunch of anti-social people most everyone is friendly.

Cons

Career advancement is hard to figure out, but I guess they're trying to work into the company. Old and tired equipment. No vibe or energy, and feels like working at an old library.

"Good place to get some experience."

Former Employee - Analyst in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Mayfield, OH

Pros

The people there are genuinely pretty friendly and definitely likable, but they do not really talk much. Everyone is really busy with their work which I suppose means good things for the company moving forward.

Cons

The work was pretty boring and uninteresting. I did learn a lot of facts about manufacturing and certain areas of supply chain that I would not have otherwise though.

Advice to Management

Make the corporate culture a bit more open and friendly. Also, upgrade the office with newer technology and desk supplies / furniture

"Industry Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Freedonia Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Excellent work atmosphere. Very bright and friendly people. Almost feels like working in academia.

Cons

Overall compensation and benefits on the low side.

Advice to Management

Would prefer better eating area and places in office to socialize among coworkers.

"Good work place, good coworkers"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a lot of young, bright people. My supervisor cared about my success and went out of his way to make sure I had the tools and knowledge I needed to succeed. My co-workers were also very helpful and responsive, they took time out of their own schedules to help me get acclimated to the job.

Cons

There is no where to eat lunch so most of the time people eat at their desk or go out to lunch. There can be long periods of down-time between projects, which can be difficult, especially if you don't have other work to keep you busy.

Advice to Management

Increase cultural/racial/ethnic diversity. Diversity leads to different perspectives, which leads to different ideas and ways of doing things. In turn, you will have better solutions to recurring problems.

"Great company, interesting people, rewarding experience"

Former Employee - Industry Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Industry Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Freedonia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of opportunities to interact with smart, friendly coworkers. The work is very interesting and rewarding once you get into the projects. Writing skills improve on the job, and you also pick up tons of interesting trivia through the research. You become an expert in many fields - great for conversations. Company activities range from potlucks, to volunteering, to co-ed softball, to poker nights. Also so many great cooks at the company!

Cons

Work can be isolated at times, however there are opportunities for collaboration and interaction when talking with people working on related projects.

"Casual, "academic" place to work with challenging work and smart, likeable coworkers."

Current Employee - Industry Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Industry Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Freedonia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is mentally challenging and the people you work with are very bright and good natured. A lot of diversity in political views from outright anarchists to right wingers, but somehow it works well. The atmosphere is casual, almost academic - blue jeans and t-shirts are the norm. The company offers a lot things to do outside of work, such as hikes, poker games, charitable events, pot lucks, etc.

Cons

You spend the better part of your day sitting in front of a computer monitor - researching, thinking, and writing. If you enjoyed researching and writing college term papers (I did), then this job could be for you. If not, think twice.