Freescale Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Competent management team, operates in over 30 countries (great opportunities to see the world), management supports career development at all levels

Cons

Semicondutor industry is maturing, but still volatile relative to other more stable industries; subject matter can be complex

Advice to Management

Senior Management appears to be open to new ideas, especially in light of new CEO. Keep the communication lines open.

"Freescale is the right fit for me"

Current Employee - Communications in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Communications in Austin, TX

Pros

The talented employees and the opportunities for growth at Freescale make it a great choice for me. I have more than ten years of communications experience, and I've found that Freescale offers a great number of challenges and opportunities that inspire me to try new things. I also enjoy a great level of flexible work options, from the hours that I work to where I work. The company is clearly supportive of making the environment comfortable for all employees.

Cons

Like any large company, there are downsides to getting things done because you have to identify the person responsible. Sometimes there is more than one person responsible. Nonetheless, I've learned a new skill (networking within a large organization). Another downfall is the ongoing organizational restructures that take place. We've lost many of the senior leaders recently, so that can feel like we're operating on unsteady ground.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent to employees about what's ahead for the company.

"Freescale a fair and honest company that cares about its associates and it's customers"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Chandler, AZ

Pros

I have worked for Freescale for 14 years. I am a single mom with four children. I work in the manufacturing part of the company. This is a great company with excellent benefits. They care about their associates and try to work with them not against them. They make great products, We have parts in the Blackberry, Electrolux Steam Dryer, Samsung Flat Screen Televisions, several micro controllers for automotive.There are so many things we make that we use in our every day lives. They care about 5s and follow the rules to make sure the plant is running a clean and safe work environment. I would buy any of these products they are a trust worthy company and I trust everything that I make even the air bags for my kids when I drive them in my car.The CEOS for Freescale all took a pay cut to try and help us through the economic crisis. I am proud of them for making these choices while other executives on Wall Street are giving themselves bonuses in this critical time.

Cons

They are 12 hour sifts in Manufacturing. They are long days but it is nice to have the three and four days off every other weekto spend with your family.

Advice to Management

I thank them for making the neccessay cuts to keep us in business.

4. "Wonderful company facing challenging times"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits, intelligent coworkers, opportunities to grow and work in many parts of the globe. Because of all of the change the company has gone through - from spin off to IPO to private equity, etc. there is rarely a dull moment. I found the senior management team to be very approachable. I felt my salary was fair for the position and my experience level. I have great faith in the leadership team to carry the company through the current economic crisis.

Cons

If you plan to work in semiconductors, you need to be prepared to work in a complex and volatile industry - particularly right now. Policies seemed to be inconsistently applied within different organizations.

Advice to Management

Source best experts around for open SVP positions

5. "great place to work for"

Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Tempe, AZ

Pros

good pay and benefits, big company so a lot of chance grow

Cons

close to IPO, so management is careful of growth

Advice to Management

none

6. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I really enjoyed the Great Coworkers in my work group. It was good to be part of new technology and work with a variety of people.

Cons

Limited staffing in North America results in need to make tough choices and leave a lot undone. A lot of changes from upper management were out of sync with day to day customer issues.

Advice to Management

The objective of broader more complete customer solutions is good, even if challenging. Consistent approach would be better than falling back to old model. You made tough choices well.

7. "very enjoyable"

Current Employee - Senior Validation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Validation Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Good breadth of work, relaxed atmosphere, respect, good compensation, great vacation. If you like working with micro controllers then its like getting paid to play.

Cons

Little to no structured training packages, small minded upper management, silly top management deals during 2006 IPO means they all had too much money to stay and work.

Advice to Management

stop being a 'yes' man.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the managers I have interacted with at Freescale have treated their employees with respect. It's a great community, everyone is friendly and understanding with one another. Benefits are also excellent, and the facility has a great gym with fantastic instructors.

Cons

There are not really any downsides to working with Freescale. I will say that if you live downtown or on the north side the traffic on Mopac can be extremely tedious.

9. "Great Momentum with New CEO"

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A re-org took place soon after he took over. Overall things seem slim, moving along at a good pace.
    Benefit of physical office-redo is questionable at present; is yet to be seen if 'collaboration' improves.

Cons

Lots of overseas projects. Trained people leave as soon as they've learned something, which results in a lot of wasted time/resources.

Advice to Management

Salaries are lagging the industry.

"A career can be what you make of it"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have some exciting technology.
    There are lots of speaking and travel opportunities.
    There are lots of writing opportunities.
    The company allows you to be creative and incentivizes individuals to come up with innovative ideas.

Cons

There is a lot of unnecessary email traffic sometimes

Advice to Management

Help employees achieve their potential