French Gerleman Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at French Gerleman full-time

Pros

Strong company culture
    Nice building and work enviroment

Cons

None that I can think of. Pretty Satisfied

Advice to Management

Nothing that I can think of. Typical management structure.

"A Different Perspective"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at French Gerleman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I believe one of the things that really sets French Gerleman apart from many other employers in the St. Louis, Illinois and Kansas marketplace is "average employee tenure" with the company. Bottom Line: I think the amount of time an employee is with a company says a lot about any organization overall. Specifically, around the company's commitment to employees and their overall stability. French Gerleman is a well-established privately held company - more than 90 years young. The company offers careers, not just jobs.
    Being in Marketing, I like to work with facts and data. The company has 217 active full-time employees, 87 employees have been here 10 years or more and 34 employees have been with the company 20 years or more. I'm actually a newbie. I have only been here 8 years. The ability for a company to keep and maintain good employees says a lot.
    If you’re looking for a professional work environment that offers a family-owned business atmosphere and rewards individuals for hard work, maintaining customer satisfaction and a focus on growing sales then French Gerleman is a good fit for you.

Cons

I think it’s important to consider corporate culture when selecting any new employer. Every company is different. It's important to find the right fit. The company is a conservative, fifth- generation family owned business that stands on a strong foundation of history and growth. While new ideas are considered, they really need to fit within the overall framework of the business and align with management's strategic goals and objectives.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for new ways and ideas to enhance the lines of communication between management and employees. Communication is an important part of any growth strategy.

"Best Place I've Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at French Gerleman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here >20 years and have found it to be a great work environment. We work hard and play hard. Goals have been aggressive and success has been rewarded. Strong benefits, too.

Cons

May not have as many different career paths as a large company, but you also have a lot more visibility and autonomy.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting talent and remain innovative.

4. "sales at french gerelman"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MO

I have been working at French Gerleman full-time

Pros

good benefits and good products

Cons

no down side wish I got an offer

5. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Upper management is asleep at the wheel... it's just about impossible to get fired from this place.

Cons

Upper management have vacation homes, everyone else is on food stamps.

Advice to Management

Retire. Get new blood in place.

6. "My time there was fine."

I worked at French Gerleman full-time

Pros

They really don't care what you are doing, as long as your work gets done. You don't have someone breathing down your neck all the time.

Cons

An older crowd. A lot of downtown.

7. "Job, not Career"

I have been working at French Gerleman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly people and atmosphere. Work schedules seem to be fairly flexible and management seems to be understanding of extenuating circumstances.

Cons

Very large gap between upper management and the remaining staff. Warehouse employees seem to be neither "seen nor heard". Office personnel are usually overloaded with work due to the company's inability or unwillingness to teminate the inept. It's incredibly difficult to make a decent wage here and advance out of the position you were hired on for. Training is almost non-existent which means that each employee must apply themselves and then hope for compensation.

Advice to Management

Take it upon yourselves to analyze what is happening from within. Better business is attainable through education, inclusion, and elevation. Make time to recognize those who strive to secure the company's success and provide the tools needed to achieve all related goals. Change.

8. "Previous Employee"

I worked at French Gerleman full-time

Pros

Excellent family environment, good flexibility from management when needed, friendly coworkers willing to always help

Cons

Lack of promotion ability, folks at lower levels lack upward mobility, pay raises are very minimal if at all, benefits are average and costs continue to rise, young family members will eventually run the business but they are not stepping up yet and contribute little, management seems disengaged from the little folks, a lot of turnover once folks learn no career advancement exists or they can make a lot more elsewhere, other companies are willing to pay $5-$10 more per hour for same job!

Advice to Management

Engage employees and develop a culture that rewards feedback. Need more career paths to retain good talent and pay people what they are worth, develop bonus structures that reward folks even at lowest levels via objective based bonuses, bring some fun into the stiff culture, us at the ground level need to make a living and starting pay is low and raises need to be more than a cost of living adjustment if employees excel in their job, make a decision and move on, it takes forever to get anything done! Hold departments accountable for poor work habits and failing to do the basics of their job.