French West Vaughan Reviews | Glassdoor

French West Vaughan Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2019

Found 24 reviews

French West Vaughan CEO Rick French (no image)
Rick French
  1. "Loved my experience!"

I worked at French West Vaughan

Pros

I really felt valued as an intern and communicated with my supervisor daily. I was never without an assignment, which was good because I felt like my time was well spent!

Cons

I never got to fully see a project come into fruition because I was always working on bits and pieces of projects. Not much can really be done about this though because that's how the business is.

French West Vaughan2019-03-06

"Poor leaders at the top create the madness that is FWV."

Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at French West Vaughan full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Two hours of PTO a week (but it’s hard to take because you’ll get behind on deadlines) -Free drinks/snacks (but not restocked well so people hoard stuff when things are replenished)

Cons

-Working from home is frowned upon. -Pay is below average. -Parking is $110/month if you have a pass. When you first start it’s $12/day until someone leaves the company and you can get their pass. -The office building might look cool at first glance but all day you hear the floors creaking from people above you. Freezing on the 1st floor and a sauna on the 3rd. No elevator and steep spiral staircases. -Some... clients/brands are cool, but too many smaller or local clients that aren’t exciting to work on and can be overly demanding. -No direction (or poor direction) is giving from management. Favoritism is shown to incompetent employees. Way too top heavy and not enough people to get actual work done. -No work life balance. Expectation is for you to be on and checking email. Constant turnover amplifies the workload. -No actual HR or IT teams in house which means everyone on an “HR committee” is biased.

Advice to Management

Times are changing and you need to give trust to your employees. Allow them to work from home for special cases and don’t treat them like children. Pay for the parking passes. Hire more lower level employees so the hardworkers aren’t stretched to death. When people leave the company don’t act like it’s a big secret, actually give notice to clients and internal teams. If you treated your employees better (and... listened to then acted on their feedback!) more would stay.

French West Vaughan2019-06-14

"Ehh"

Current Employee - Account Service

I have been working at French West Vaughan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented staff and interesting clients

Cons

Management, workload and salary, just to name a few.

French West Vaughan2019-05-08

"Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at French West Vaughan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team dynamic for the creative team. Free snacks in the kitchen. Great office location in DTR.

Cons

Not a lot of office space. I worked in a closet with one other person. Pay could be better. Very top heavy. Wish there was free parking for employees. My title was very ambiguous, especially with the work that I was doing. A lot of negative employees that kind of dampened the place.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to employees. The turn around is very high. The company often announces that it is "expanding" which may be true, but the reality is, it feels like its staying the same size as the new hires are actually filling the roles of those employees that are no longer there.

French West Vaughan2018-09-10
  5. "With a Grain of Salt"

I worked at French West Vaughan

Pros

-Great people to work with -People come and go at the drop of the hat so your connections will expand if you get along with the employees

Cons

-Highly inflatted client list, they do consistent work for maybe 2-3 of the people on the website -Treat interns like free work, bill your hours to the client while paying you a stipend equaling out to .53 cents an hour or so. -People come and go fast so byt he tiem you internship ends you might be working with new people -People tend to be new, so their experience is limited. -Marketed as a full service agency... but really only focus on PR so the other departments get little to no good work.

Advice to Management

Care more for the people who work for you and create a culture that rewards good work of all employees instead of consistently praising senior management.

French West Vaughan2018-08-14

"Okay-ish Internship"

I worked at French West Vaughan part-time

Pros

Great clients to work for throughout the internship and direct supervisor really invested in my interests.

Cons

Upper Leadership showed no interest in investing in the lives of interns.

French West Vaughan2018-07-20

"Yikes"

I worked at French West Vaughan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of the people are great - talented, smart, and good to work with. Free beer is always nice. Fun downtown location.

Cons

I've never had a job where so many of my coworkers were actively searching for new employment! FWV employees are impressively up to date on the latest posts on LinkedIn and Indeed. Work-life balance is non-existent for account managers and lower-level staff, and the organization is incredibly top-heavy. VP-level is swamped with mediocre managers who somehow don't share much of the workload. Comically terrible... benefits, and you have to pay to park downtown.

Advice to Management

Rethink your benefits packages and company values in order to attract and retain talented employees.

French West Vaughan2017-12-12

"The good, the bad and the ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at French West Vaughan full-time

Pros

On the whole, the associates are extremely talented and there are some great clients that come through the door. If you are able to find a niche, you can do some fantastic work and build good experience. But I wouldn't recommend staying long term. Free candy, soda and beer in the kitchen.

Cons

The workload is a huge issue, while all agencies are very fast-paced, FWV doesn't staff accounts properly. Most of the time it's 1-2 people doing all the work, even on the biggest accounts. Very little time for any strategic thinking, employees just try to make it through their to-do list with no support. Top management doesn't listen to client managers and the people actually doing the work and therefore believe... projects take much less time/effort. New clients are over-promised results and given very low rates to get them in the door. Employees are then the ones tasked with delivering the impossible. You will be reprimanded when unable to deliver on promises made by mangement. If you succeed at the impossible you will be ignored or they will take credit for your work. As an employee, it doesn't feel like you are valued. Top management doesn't care about your goals, be prepared to be the only person advocating for your career. Keep careful track of conversations, as there is a lot of double talk that happens and management will often makeup facts or conveniently "forget" conversations so they don't have to deliver on promises. Employee performance reviews never happen on schedule, except for a few select employees. Don't expect to receive promotions or raises without having to fight for them. When you do receive recognition it will be treated as a gift that was bestowed upon you and not something that you earned. There is no true mentorship happening. Management is MIA most of the time, more often than not focused on side projects or personal events. They typically have no idea what you are working on. They do not communicate with staff openly. There is always an air of secrecy in the building and that's by design. Decisions are handed down and there is no discussion or transparency. Even when it comes to changing teams, clients or roles, you aren't given a real choice. It is not a democracy. The atmosphere is very negative, people do their work and go home. The turnover is the highest I have ever seen, and there's a reason for that. While the potential is there for the agency to be terrific, management is getting in its own way.

Advice to Management

You can't force culture. It comes from the top down. If you want employees to feel engaged you need to engage them. Give them respect and treat them like adults. Be more open with communication and listen to the feedback that you are given. Your employees are your most valuable resource and should be treated as such. Understand that if your employees succeed, so does the agency.

French West Vaughan2017-11-13
  9. "Cuckoo's Nest"

Former Contractor - Art Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at French West Vaughan for more than a year

Pros

Surprisingly successful, accomplished PR firm

Cons

The trappings of a progressive workplace but paranoid and vindictive at the top. Denigrating comments about those who jump to competitors. Scrooge-like policies re: hours, expenses, hiring, etc

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Hire smart and let them make you look good.

French West Vaughan2017-11-15
  10. "ok"

I worked at French West Vaughan

Pros

cool office, looks good on a resume, very flexible with hours

Cons

-didn't actually learn anything; not very valuable -bc it's unpaid you aren't given real responsibility -SUPER awkward environment. Hardly anyone spoke to the interns and when they did it was so awkward for some reason.

Advice to Management

Need to figure out a better culture. Doesn't seem like people there are very friendly.

French West Vaughan2017-09-14