Frenkel & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Frenkel & Co. Reviews

Updated 18 May 2019

Found 18 reviews

2.6
Frenkel & Co. CEO John F. Kelly (no image)
John F. Kelly
  1. "Great company that delivers on what they promise."

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Frenkel & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I was recruited just over a year ago the Director of HR and my hiring manager specifically explained my responsibilities and outlined a career path for me. The firm has met every promise, giving to me including raise and bonus. As a more junior broker, just starting out my career, Frenkel has given me exposure to accounts much larger than the agency I came from. After I started they organized a lunch for... several new hires to meet senior executives. I love working here. It is challenging and I feel that they are invested in keeping me on board.

Cons

There are a number of older employees who have been at the firm for over 20 years that are set in their ways (they obviously like the firm or else why would they stay). But since they are close to retirement age it will give the junior employees an opportunity to grow as they retire.

Advice to Management

Keep medical benefits changing as costs go up.

Frenkel & Co.2014-05-07

"Not perfect, but I hear it could be much worse."

I have been working at Frenkel & Co.

Pros

Friendly and spirited staff, good morale, many educational opportunities. Company outings here and there throughout the year. Overall, there seems to be a good demeanor and pleasantness to the staff. There is an ability to joke and stay more or less positive when the really busy times come around. Most people truly want to make things better and do the best they can for the clients. They are hard workers.

Cons

Employees are frequently overworked and are underpaid. Bonuses and raises for the staff are a complete insult - a cruel joke if you will. The management seems to know just where they want you to stay and they will keep you there - glass ceiling. They also play favorites here and it's sickening. Certain people get special treatment and "deals." The favorites are, 95% of the time, the less talented and less... intelligent of the bunch. Management does not know enough about day to day activities to understand deficiencies in workflow and how to correct them. Training of new employees is non-existent - "sink or swim" style. The next employee in line is only as good as the teaching skills of the person before them, unless they are intelligent enough to come up with their own way to do things, which usually means they are intelligent enough to get out while they can. Needless to say there is quite a bit of turnover here. Side note: The "Face of Frenkel" is evil to all guests, delivery people and employees who do not have their key card (God forbid she needs to reach out her hand 12 inches and press a button that opens the door). She must have some dirt on the CEO because she hasn't been fired after several complaints and decades of "service."

Advice to Management

Pay more attention when your brightest employees have ideas for bettering workflow, efficiency and communication. These people are in the trenches every day and know what needs to be done. Provide technology if it will enhance productivity. The brightest people will use it, so give it to them. The ones who don't care to learn new and better ways to do things will sit back, stagnate and show who they really are. They... will deflect, delegate and still get away with not being skilled or valuable employees. There are always a handful of very bright people who are held back by the disorganized masses with their thoughtless and archaic ways of doing business. It seems management would rather let things stay the way they are than take the time to initiate real change. Promote these bright people, give them a chance to grow and earn more, reward them for what they bring to the table and stop playing favorites.

Frenkel & Co.2013-11-22
  3. "Frenkel Benefits = Great Environment"

Current Employee -  in New York, NY

I have been working at Frenkel & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company knows how to make a potentially BORING subject, interesting! Working with fun people that get the job done but still know how to have a good time. Location is up and coming... many events and happy hours to help boost moral.

Cons

The workload is high while compensation is low. Office could use some serious renovations and casual Fridays should return. When working in such a serious industry, like insurance, one appreciates a privileged day of 'lax/casual attire.

Advice to Management

Focus on "TEAM" and give recognition and praise as needed.

Frenkel & Co.2013-11-22

"Hostile environment"

I have been working at Frenkel & Co. full-time

Pros

Small office. Co-workers are friendly. New York and New Jersey offices are in great locations and easy to travel between. Staff is helpful with daily activities.

Cons

CEO corners employees in the hallway and yells at them. Environment thrives on public embarrassment. Management is generally confused. Most employees are unhappy. A former reviewer referenced inappropriate touching, this is true.

Advice to Management

Most managers are afraid to speak up for fear of hostile reactions.

Frenkel & Co.2013-10-04

"Family run company where the family members wouldn't be hired anywhere else......"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Frenkel & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally the people are very nice

Cons

low pay - unprofessional mangement

Advice to Management

get rid of the family members

Frenkel & Co.2013-07-24

"Standard company with low ceiling"

Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Frenkel & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are friendly and nice Hours are great, standard 9-5 job Company is growing Location isn't bad, there's a New York office and Jersey City office

Cons

Definite ceiling in how far you can go Low paying job with possibility of bonus after 1 year Some people don't know what they are doing

Frenkel & Co.2013-03-13

"Very painful"

I have been working at Frenkel & Co.

Pros

interesting industry but very limited growth

Cons

terrible place to work, I mean, really.

Frenkel & Co.2011-01-12

"Weak"

Sanitation Administer in

I have been working at Frenkel & Co.

Pros

A lot of fun, but there is no work to be done and barely and pay

Cons

Management will tbe creepy around you

Advice to Management

Stop poking people

Frenkel & Co.2010-10-08