Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2020

3.6
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer Senior Partner and Managing Partner  Edward Braham and Stephan Eilers (no image)
Edward Braham and Stephan Eilers
Pros
  • "Great people and location good quality firm(in 16 reviews)

• "Great contract rates and opportunities within the firm and a chance to work with a Magic Circle law firm is great for building a good reputation(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "On occasion long hours when working on the service desk but overall a good experience(in 37 reviews)

• "Unpredictable working hours and quite hierarchical(in 13 reviews)

1. "Shadowing Scheme"

Former Employee - Shadowing Scheme

I worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer part-time for less than a year

Pros

Interning at Freshfields at a very early stage of my legal career was truly an all-inclusive experience. Work-wise, I got the opportunity to get involved in several technical tasks within a wide range of case situations. I was sat with the Corporate Teeam. I was excited to get involved in the team's efforts, even if my contribution was, needless to say, of minor importance. I got acquainted with several high-profile and inspiring individuals, got to attend conference calls and get insights on cases which the firm handles. All employees were friendly, and got some useful guidance by having lunch with trainees who had just been in my place.

Cons

The only downside I could think of would be that, despite being allocated work tasks, these were of a minor nature and did not have the opportunity to do any drafting of documents. I only handled research-based and proofreading assignments.

2. "It is what you make it."

Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time

Pros

Work kept me busy so days flew by.

Cons

Lots of turnover so work/life balance suffered a lot

3. "Good work, lack of transparency"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to international work and market salaries for big law.

Cons

Lack of transparency from management and partners. Unclear what the US strategy is for growth.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great. We work in teams and if you have any questions, someone is always willing to help.

Cons

The technology is lacking for the firm of this size but our local IT is always willing to help.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Junior Associate

I worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time

Pros

So far great culture and everyone is very aprochable.

Cons

Nothing to disclose as of yet

"Nice Place"

1.0
    Former Employee - Lawyer

I worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

International work for top-notch clients

Cons

Vicious politics; lazy partners; no promotional prospects

"Leadership and identity problems (New York office)"

I have been working at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time

Pros

- Prestigious - Great international work - Challenging assignments with early responsibility

Cons

- No sense of teamwork among team members: associates tend to become good teammates, but there is a gap between them and partners. You often feel like you work “for someone and their goals” instead of “with someone towards a common goal.” This is made clear to you with passive agressive comments when partners get stressed. - Very clear favoritism by the managing partner of certain employees. This sets bad precedent for the rest of the partnership to behave in the same way. - No proper work assignment system in corporate. - No cohesion in associate development between groups within the corporate umbrella. - No proper database for corporate precedent. - Fear of giving real feedback about superiors when asked: people tend to not say what they think about bad leaders/managers even in “anonymized reviews”. - No proper integration of new lateral hires. You see all these new faces walking around but no one bothered to introduce them and welcome them to the firm. - Focus on litigation and arbitration training and lack of focus on corporate.

Continue reading
  8. "Still less salary than US Firms"

I have been working at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time

Pros

Best in class in almost every area of law in Germany

Cons

The salary is still considerably lower than US firm salaries

"Stay far away!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Support Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helpful and friendly support staff, engaging Attorneys, good projects, decent benefits, PTO, good location, staff events, casual Friday’s, stocked fridge.

Cons

Where do I begin; incompetent management, even worse HR, worst yet, Prehistoric IT systems. IT management just hides and has no clue as to what’s happening around them. Management only there to collect a pay check, nothing else, if they were competent, they would at least help out or at the very least do what they are getting paid for instead of passing off their responsibilities to lower ranks who are over worked as it is.

10. "Good Firm"

4.0

I have been working at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits & collaborative environment

Cons

Overall technology improvements needed to stay competitive.

Found 212 reviews