Fresno Pacific University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Food Services"

I have been working at Fresno Pacific University part-time

Pros

Great management, friendly work environment.

Cons

Limited hours available for students.

Advice to Management

Doing great!

2. "Collegial Atmosphere Sophomoric Administration"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at Fresno Pacific University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Numerous engaged students
    * Visionary deans

Cons

* Administration lacks strategic thinking above the Dean level
    * Marketing department is abysmal. Good money thrown after bad. Does not emphasize institution strengths, and is more branding than marketing.
    * Lack of course pre-requsities often leave students unprepared for upper division courses.
    * Health insurance premiums high, with mediocre coverage
    * Some students unprepared for rigors of college

Advice to Management

Board needs to be more involved in student recruitment drives, particularly in vendor selection which seems limited in scope and vision.

Many transfer students complain about the difficulties in transferring with such a heavy GE load. This diminishes our capacity to accept transfers which would make the difference between being in the red and the black.

3. "poorly run"

I have been working at Fresno Pacific University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students are wonderful and the school has an inspiring mission and service to the central valley. Very diverse student body.

Cons

poor compensation. No raises or evaluations means there is no incentive to do good work. Many employees do poorly and end up bogging down the efficiency and progress of the institution. Doesn't seem concerned enough with hiring diverse faculty.

Advice to Management

Allow professionals the autonomy to make decisions in their area of expertise. Fire those who do poorly. Cut waste. Pay more. Institute evaluations w/ raise incentives.

4. "FPU"

I have been working at Fresno Pacific University part-time

Pros

Good hours, friendly staff, tutor certification and training

Cons

Can't get as many hours as I would like

Advice to Management

Be a little more respectful of the volume in the ASC when people are studying/ working on homework/ tutoring.

5. "A Rewarding Place to Work"

Pros

Great mission - truly does transform the lives of students
    Small college - very personable
    Welcoming and inclusive - open to everyone, with a strong push for diversity

Cons

Financially tight times mean that you don't always have the resources you need, and may not be paid what you can get elsewhere. But the mission makes working here worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your best for the school - it's worth it. Get us back to financial stability. Find a way to increase our salaries - we're doing our best!

6. "Wholesome place for now, but intellectually mediocre"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Fresno, CA

I worked at Fresno Pacific University full-time

Pros

By far the best thing about Fresno Pacific University is the wholesome campus environment. The students are very nice and respectful. The Office of Spiritual Formation, under Angulus Wilson, is crucial here, holding weekly services for students on Wednesday that keep the school's Christian identity lively and strong, even if a corrosive liberalism has gone far towards compromising the Christian faith of many of the faculty. There are strict rules about student conduct, which I don't agree with in detail (e.g., on alcohol) but which help to maintain the wholesome environment. Combined with a physically attractive campus, with a fountain and quads etc., Fresno Pacific is quite a pleasant place to work.

Cons

When I was in grad school, I had serious doubts about whether I'd ever find an academic job, but I took for granted that if I did find one, the intellectual environment would be scintillating. I expected that a lot of clever colleagues, who could understand and take an interest in my ideas, would sit down at the lunch table every day to hone our knowledge.

With these perhaps quixotic expectations, my disillusionment upon coming to Fresno Pacific was extreme. Not once in my years at Fresno Pacific did I have a conversation with colleagues whose intellectual level reached that which I routinely enjoy on Facebook, on blogs, or in conversations with my highly academic family. One or two of my colleagues were shockingly indifferent to ideas and the life of the mind. Others had a favorable attitude to it, but no habits of rigor or intense curiosity. Nor did I meet anyone at Fresno Pacific who could come close to understanding my academic research, or who took an interest in it, and I very rarely met anyone who seemed to have an active research program that they cared to talk about.

The other con, from my perspective at least, is that the wholesome environment seems unlikely to last. The president is wonderful and may yet hold the line, but the faculty's commitment to Fresno Pacific's Christian values is very shaky.

Advice to Management

1. Defend Fresno Pacific's Christian heritage! Stand on the side of God and truth, not fashionable opinion.

2. I'd like to suggest ways to create a thriving scholarly environment, but I don't really know how.

"Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Fresno Pacific University full-time

Pros

The people and culture here are incredible: the values and collegiality are filled with grace. I truly love where I work. Students receive individual attention from faculty and are truly mentored here at Fresno Pacific University.

Cons

Those not used to higher ed may find it a difficult transition from the business world, which is much faster-paced.

Advice to Management

HR needs to develop more competitive compensation as some areas are under the industry standard. We often cannot retain talent because they receive better offers elsewhere. The benefits package is nice, although the health insurance cost is higher for individuals or couples without children than a lot of other industries.

"Pretty okay"

Current Employee - Food Server in Fresno Crossing, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Fresno Crossing, CA

Pros

Sense of community on campus really has a connection between everyone you serve a day.

Cons

School always being a pressure, many people call out all the time or flake on covering your shift and you have to take the fall for that

Advice to Management

take into consideration how much a team can do at a shift time and realistically give tasks with appropiate time limits on it.

"Nice place to work for"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Fresno Pacific University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work when you want to.

Cons

Can be overworked and lack of benefits for adjuncts

10. "A supportive and encouraging work environment"

Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Fresno, CA

I worked at Fresno Pacific University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, supportive & encouraging office culture, opportunity for increased responsibility, job training, weekly devotionals, work life balance

Cons

The only con I can think of is that I was not allowed to stay longer. The position I held was only available for students. Because I graduated, I was no longer eligible for employment in that position.