Friendship Community Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Advisor I"

I worked at Friendship Community part-time

Pros

Very friendly and helpful to others

Cons

Work schedules vary with locations

2. "Supervision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Friendship Community full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Persons who not only have the passion for the work, but live it everyday within their work.

Cons

Administration is bias, fighting amongst each other constantly, always "reorganizing and redefining" themselves and the organization without any real benefit to anyone (only provides confusion and conflict), and has no respect or honor for those that do not make the bigger paychecks and actually do the work of the people that keeps the organization alive. Communication amongst all levels of the organization is horrible. Trendy terminology passed down by administration and management to shadow the truths of their bad decisions or "raw deals" to Team Members/Individuals are completely seen through. They/You are not fooling anyone.

Advice to Management

Persons in higher management...I am not talking to Program Managers or Program Coordinators, as they already do the highest amount of work on both the management and the direct care sides of their positions/jobs. I am talking to those in the highest levels of management....Associate Directors and Directors. What ANY person working within Friendship Community desires to see is that you all work just one day/one week, or even better, multiple shifts, and on the weekends, where you need to actually do some dirty work. While trying to understand what it is like to actually work rather then sitting behind your desks or a conference table and make decisions that will affect so many Team Members and Individuals that you do not even know by face or by name. Stop with the emails that sends such negative information to those that actually do the jobs that keeps this organization running. Without us, what would your jobs be? You would not have one or you would be pulling those open shifts yourself. Actually talk to us, without a meal attached to it. Really, do you think we want to spend our free time off from work with the CEO (who gets a free meal on the organization and gets paid to do it) to sit down with us for a hour of our time and drill us about what we think, knowing she only wants to hear the wonderful things we are suppose to think she does within her job, instead of spending it with our families or working a second, or third job to keep food on our tables? Come and see and do what we do within the homes and working with the Individuals. Take an active interest outside of your management bubble. Maybe, just maybe, if you do that....all levels of Team Members will begin to respect and believe in you and the integrity level of this organization once again!

3. "Poor leadership, no appreciation of employees"

Former Employee - Various Direct Care Roles
    Former Employee - Various Direct Care Roles

I worked at Friendship Community full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I spent over ten years building relationships with the developmentally disabled, sharing their lives and building memories. It was a wonderful, if difficult, ministry opportunity.

Cons

Low pay with no merit raises. When new employee pay rates are raised, existing (long term) employees receive no commensurate raise.

Management can be petty. Independent thinking and ingenuity are discouraged.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like people, not commodities.

Give a fair pay rate especially to long term employees.

An annual appreciation dinner means nothing if your employees can barely afford to feed themselves the rest of the year.

"Direct Care workers are not valued by upper management"

I worked at Friendship Community full-time

Pros

Admirable mission of providing care for those with Intellectual Disabilities.

Cons

-Poor, top heavy management with little concern for the employees who are providing the daily care for the individuals served by the company.
    -More concerned about appearances than reality and truth.
    -Employees are demoted or fired for very little reason. If you express any independent ideas or concerns, do not expect to advance or keep your position.

Advice to Management

Put more effort and resources into your hard working direct care employees and less resources to upper management. The inequity in the pay scale is very sad for a Christian, human services organization. CEO receives regular increases based on the 990 forms submitted to the IRS but direct care staff have endured 5 + years with no increases.

Be less concern about appearances and more concerned about the truth. Treat others as you would like to be treated. The work place should not be a popularity contest.

Remember that management exists to support the staff who are actually carrying out the every day care of the individuals served by the organization. Not the other way around.

5. "Former Employee"

I worked at Friendship Community part-time

Pros

Excellent company
    Great people on staff
    Flexible work hours

Cons

Split shifts
    Can take a long time to get trained

6. "Disappointment"

Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Lititz, PA

Pros

The pros about this company is you get to meet individuals and develop a relationship with each one and their familie, and help assist them with their every day needs.

Cons

The cons to this company is there is poor leadership. Each home has their issues but nothing seems to be addressed. I worked in one of the group homes where one of the individuals was moved out of the home for no reason but because the program didn't benefit her anymore. If you are looking for a company to grow in this is not the company for you unless you are a "teacher's pet." I attended the yearly banquet last year, and the theme was "love" in the power point there was not one caregiver in the PowerPoint and it was mainly the CEO and her assistant. I went to HR several times complaining of issues that had happened in the home with the coordinator, and nothing was done. In fact, the time I was there the coordinator bullied one of the supervisors to the point where she left the company. This company mission and values are very misleading and my advice would be do not apply unless there is massive improvement.

Advice to Management

The company needs improve especially towards the care of the team members and individuals

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Direct Care Professional in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Professional in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Friendship Community part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain lots of experience working within the homes and with the individuals. Awesome co-workers!

Cons

Many inconsistencies within the organization; lack of communication; low pay.

Advice to Management

Better salary! More opportunities for advancement.

8. "Great environment"

Pros

Friendship Community is a great place to work at if you like helping people. They're really flexible with their schedule.

Cons

The only downside is that the rate is not that much but good enough for extra income.

9. "Case Manager"

Former Employee - Employment Coordinator in Russellville, AR
    Former Employee - Employment Coordinator in Russellville, AR

I worked at Friendship Community (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has been around a long time and provides well needed services to individuals with severe mental illnesses.

Cons

Low pay and very limited room for advancement.

10. "Advisor I"

Former Employee - Adivosor I in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Adivosor I in Lititz, PA

I worked at Friendship Community part-time (More than a year)

Pros

everyone truly cares about the individuals.

Cons

It is hard to get overtime.