Froehling & Robertson Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam Proctor

1. "Engineer"

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment to learn and grow within your field of expertise.

Cons

Need more mentoring of young talented staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Environmental Scientist"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    company truck
    company pays for training and certifications
    HSA account
    sometimes you are more than just a number

Cons

low pay
    poor benefits and high health insurance
    poor management
    vacation doesn't roll over
    raises are a rarity

3. "False Positive Reviews"

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The capacity of the Glassdoor platform to allow former employees to convey the truth about this company to future employees, before they have their lives destroyed by management which absolutely cares less about the consequences of their self centered and greed driven decisions.

Cons

You will, first of all, be misled and lied to about opportunities for growth and promotion with the company. Secondly, you will find it difficult to understand the sometime anti-productive decisions which are made by the senior ranking staff, and ownership. Third, if the branch for which you work, even if you are one of their best producers, begins to suffer, you will find yourself falsely (with it implied they will look after you) led to believe they need you elsewhere. You will be asked to move, and take family along with you. If after 6-8 months at the new location, you find yourself being the scapegoat for that branch's failure, and they terminate you...do not be surprised.

Advice to Management

Get out of the business if you can't run it ethically and without destroying people's lives as result.

5. "Sad Company, poor communication, little care for individual"

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional history and some wonderful projects to load their resume (and yours if you get to work on any of them). Attention to detail, good quality program.

Cons

Terrible marketing. Does not communicate with staff in any meaningful way. Health Insurance is very, very expensive. Benefits are slim to none. President is from far away Lynchburg and is hyper conservative bean counter. CEO has no engineering experience and weak social skills.

Advice to Management

All engineering management staff need training relating to a new younger generation of engineers. Management needs a strategy to retain staff and communicate effectively with staff.

"Learn At F&R"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jessup, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jessup, MD

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson (More than 8 years)

Pros

F&R was a great place to start my career. It is full of many bright and talented engineers and inspectors, all willing to teach and pass on knowledge from their years of experience. Even with very limited experience, my managers gave me responsibilities, challenging me to work hard and excel. I was easily able to prepare for the PE test and pass on my first attempt. I've had the opportunity to advance my career both in the business by taking on managerial roles, as well as technically through their Senior Engineer program. There are no brownie points at F&R for just showing up. F&R rewards those who seize opportunities, take on responsibilities, and meet challenges.

Due to F&R's longevity and strong history, I've had the opportunity to work on some exciting projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic (one of our Nation's most historic regions).

I've been very pleased with the stability of F&R, especially during these recent times of economic uncertainty.

Cons

Since the majority of F&R's work is in the construction sector, schedules need to be very flexible. Often times you are reacting to changing circumstances with your staff and clients, and need to adjust on the fly.

Advice to Management

Great work bringing in new human resources staff. Continue to make investments in human resources and employee development. We are full of many young talented professionals with endless potential. In our haste to focus on project related issues, our management needs to also work to continue to cultivate this talent into the future leaders of the company.

"Civil engineering technician"

Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment employees wise with good experienced staff.

Cons

No raise and no position title and duties change even if someones is qualified for it ..they pay way less than what they ask the employees to do and when the time for a raise comes no one is willing to pay it.

Advice to Management

Be honest, more trustworthy and more respectful to your employees and there qualifications.

"Engineer"

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time

Pros

Great people most of them

Cons

No real benefits expensive health care

Advice to Management

Annual fair reviews pay based on region and profits

"IT Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with a very family orientated environment.

Cons

Basic pay and little to no advancement in the hierarchy

"Engineer"

Pros

Have learned allot and been able to take on allot of responsibility early in my career. Take home car and company phone are a nice benefit.

Cons

No major complaints. 401k matching/vesting is ok but not great. Unable to carry over unused vacation time.

"Solid Company"

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time

Pros

The work environment here is very good and is one of the key reasons I have stayed here as long as I have. The technical abilities and professionalism are second to none in the market. There is a very good program in place to recognize senior professionals who must truly earn the title because it is not based simply on the years of service. The longevity of the company is a testament to its staying power. The pay is decent and other positives include health/dental insurance options and the ability for most to have a company vehicle.

Cons

While the company is technically sound, the culture is very reactive to the market. The company is rarely on the cutting edge of new technologies or services. This is a family-owned company, so employee ownership is not an option. The 401K match is not in line with the industry. It is also very difficult to know how the company is really doing financially.

Advice to Management

Please remember that the selling point of a "family culture" will only pay an employee's bills for so long.