Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Reviews

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hard working Company"

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to be able to help those get the training that they came here for. This place has a great working environment.

Cons

I think that the mangement should incorporate more employee feedback when making decisions for the whole company.

Advice to Management

I think that the current changes that are being made are good for for the business overall. It brings in some new perspective.

2. "Phenomenal Training; Crappy Management and Employee Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

Pros

Very rewarding to train people to teach. The program works for even those that have never held a firearm. It is great to see disbelievers on Day 1 walk out believers on Day 4.

Cons

Where to start? Management is horrible. Complete God complexes because they are good shooters. Well, good shooters don't make good people managers. Those of us who are people managers in "our real lives" know the difference.

The work conditions suck. They don't confirm when you work, there are no regular sessions, and the pay is just horrible. No one can make a living here. Pahrump Walmart pays better.

Promotions are based on how well you can memorize scripts. Yep. Everything said at FS is scripted. From the gate greeters to the bathroom lecture. All words are scripted and you must memorize them. If you have a photographic memory, you can be promoted in one summer to Range Master.

Advice to Management

Nothing changes from year to year. From talking with previous staff members, it is situation normal. Nothing will change in the future either. Hire a non-FS COO and give him/her the power to manage. So far, it is just the kids who were bullied in school taking over.

"Job is great, Management and employees not so much"

Current Employee - Range Master in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Range Master in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute full-time

Pros

If you like teaching people how to shoot, this the place for you.

Cons

Starting pay 8-10 an hr, then 12-21 hr as u move up. Lose work in jul-sept, and all holidays. Not a career.
    Instructional staff is not professional as they should be.
    People that have no idea how to use or have a background in the field teach others
    and the list goes on
    management is a joke, they are not qualified to do what they do

Advice to Management

Nothing will help them
    its all about money pinching and brainwashing

"Nice Place to Visit, But Don't Want to Work Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people you work with and most of the customers are nice people.

Cons

Management attitude is that everybody is overpaid and easily replaceable -- according to management. Leadership talent is all at the bottom, while dysfunctional micromanaging describes the top. The pay is too low for anyone except retirees or others with supplemental income to survive for long, and that really hits home when everyone above you will jump at the chance to put you down or bark about something you did wrong (even if you didn't do it) but wouldn't pay you a compliment about a job well done if their life depended on it.

Advice to Management

The problems run too deep for any "advice" to be even acknowledged, let alone used, and that's what's really sad.

"Current employee - range staff"

Current Employee - Hand Gun Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Hand Gun Instructor in Pahrump, NV

Pros

Very rewarding to teach people how to properly and safely handle a handgun. Every class, we have students thank us for an experience beyond what they expected. We personally get better since we live the life. Great job if you have down time from your "every day" career.

Cons

Pay is the first down side. Above, msomeone said the "sell" a 50k salary. Not true. They clearly state a full time range master makes "up to" 50k / year. Those that can afford to work here as a full time job, such as retirees that have a pension, and this is additional income, work out very well here. Work here or stand at the front door of a retail store....I'd pick here for sure. That brings us to the egos here. You'd better be prepared to put up with those better than you that think they're G*d! Management is great if you're in the "click". If not, look out. They threaten your job (as if they're paying me 100k / yr). I comr here to teach, help people, and learn even more, yet they believe they can treat you likeyou're nothing. Then wonder why you get an attitude. You can promote at your own pace, however, if you don't domit at a pace they consider normal, they wonder what is wrong with you and you get even less respect. Promotions work on how many lectures you learn. They fail to realize that most of us work part time and we continue doing this because we love it...not because of the salary or benefits (there are none and we work at our own risk) they give us. Taking time to learn more is on a back burner (for me anyway). If you're someone looking for a career move, this is not the place. There are very few openings at the top and those few who hold those positions are not going anywhere soon.

Advice to Management

First, I think this area is pointless. This organization has run well for years the way it is...why should they change it. Hey, if I could pay my employees next to nothing, not pay for benefits, talk crap to them on a daily basis, and have them keep coming back......you get the idea. Last year, promotional raises were made harder to get...AND those that HAD made thepay raise by the old standard, had money taken away to match the new criteria. That's BS right there.
    Every employer wishes they had employees that really loved their job. You have that and you don't appreciate it. I guarantee that if the management in Pahrump in fact read this, they're laughing at the complaints and at the same time mad as hell at them......how DARE I say such things!!!

"Good work. wont get rich"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

Pros

It is rewarding to help people learn how to defend themselves
    I enjoy working outdoors
    you are being paid to carry a gun

Cons

low pay
    work rain or shine
    uncaring company
    uncaring management
    can be difficult to get scheduled during slow months
    no work during summer

"A very gratifying job."

Current Employee - Handgun Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Handgun Instructor in Pahrump, NV

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You choose which classes you want to teach. You advance as quickly as you want to. Great people to work with and for.

Cons

You are outside in every kind of weather. It can get very hot in May-June, and September.

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Instructor in Pahrump, NV

Pros

It is fun and rewarding to teach firearms skills to students. Many of the other staff members are good people. They hire every month as the turn over is really high, so it is easy to get hired.

Cons

They sell the position as a $50,000 per year job. Starting pay is only $10.00 per hour. You may not get full time hours, and they are closed over the summer, and over Christmas. As the student numbers go down, so does the work hours. The turn over is really high, with people taking the job there thinking it is a career move, to understand the mistake in about two weeks. They do not have full time employment for range staff, and although they say you can work as much as you want, you have to wait until the last minute to see if you are getting hours for the next week.