Frontier Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Frontier Communications President and CEO Dan McCarthy
Dan McCarthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • team effort, good support management, excellent pay and benefits (in 58 reviews)

• good pay, good benefits, great coworkers (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Good work life balance for all employees (in 32 reviews)

• As far as upper management is concerned you are just a number (in 74 reviews)

"Be wary!"

Former Employee - Management in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Management in Everett, WA

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people there are great.

Cons

Lack of communication with employees. Be aware that Frontier is having financial issues and is constantly downsizing. No job there is safe. Benefits and bonuses have recently been cut.

2. "Technical Supervisor"

Former Employee - Foreman in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Foreman in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Previously acquired 3 strong territories

Cons

Maintaining market share and morale

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Scapegoat in Dallas, PA
    Current Employee - Scapegoat in Dallas, PA

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Good holiday/vacation/sick time. Building located in a nice, scenic area.

Cons

Company is based on the Peter Principle. There are no processes or procedures. Mid and Upper management is extremely top heavy, and refuses to give any meaningful directions or requirements in order to avoid responsibility. If you are a sociopath who is avoiding a career, but still find yourself needing a place to dish out heaps of malice and misery onto honest, hard-working people, then Frontier Communications may be the place for you.

Advice to Management

As a telecom company, I would think the first order of business would be to adopt standards and procedures that are followed across the company footprint. Maybe some metrics. Have some meetings where you identify and address problems. You know, like managing.

"In a downward spiral with no signs of pulling up"

Former Employee - Senior Network Architect in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Architect in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good company to be from, not at.
    The checks still clear, but apparently the bonus checks don't anymore for C-level employees and managers.
    You can see what internet providers networks were like 5-10 years ago because that's what Frontier has out there and is still deploying
    there are still *some* dedicated employees, though I'm not sure why after Danny McCarthy's letter in March blaming them for the company's performance.

Cons

Frontier is trying to squeeze every last penny out of its ancient installed network and infrastructure before they improve it, and they're wondering why they're losing customers? The company's internet speeds are a joke in many areas where they will guarantee 'up to 6Mbps, 8Mbps or 10Mbps' but in reality they can often only sustain 3Mbps. In areas where they've 'improved', it's only marginally better because of their heavily congested backhaul network.
    Keep in mind, this is a company that aims to be 'just better than Satellite' in rural areas because that is often the only alternative in the markets they're still trying to buy or build into. In areas where they have competition they are the cheaper but horrible alternative to much better cable networks.
    I tried to improve things as much as I could because I was embarrassed by the network Frontier had, and most of the big improvement projects I worked on were delayed for months/years or shelved because management didn't want to spend any capital
    If you want to really look at how the company is doing, just look at what their bond ratings are now (just downgraded again) and the overall outlook of the company.
    health benefits were some of the most expensive I'd ever paid for.

Advice to Management

You need to treat your employees better for initiative instead of punishing them, and treat them better than the taco-bell managerial style you're using right now - I seriously think that you may need to revisit management school because I don't think you were paying attention the first time.

Find someone who isn't afraid to make decisions and put them in charge. Once you have done that, quit. (No, seriously - I saw more missed opportunities happen at Frontier because management couldn't make a decision and then the competition would race past them and beat them to market every time)

"Sales not for the Weak of Heart"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and Paid Time Off.

Cons

Getting the order written and programmed correctly. The processes are fragmented, dependent on human failure and embarrassing to defend to the customer. Orders get dropped from the system without notice. Demands on Sales Force are high, but commitment to support sales implementation remains low or non-existent.

Advice to Management

The fragmented system of the order process and repair/trouble needs to be addressed. There is clearly a breakdown, from the point of the sale or ticket creation, to the time the local techs get the order to install or repair. Then, address the Culture.

"Sr leadership has no idea what is going on in the field."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New Haven, CT

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad. If given the tools and resources to achieve targets and goals it would be a good place to work.

Cons

The senior leadership will say/ promise what they believe the customers want to hear. Then demand it be accomplished without providing the tools to make it happen.

7. "Frontier Communications Review"

Former Employee - Online Sales and Service Representative in Deland, FL
    Former Employee - Online Sales and Service Representative in Deland, FL

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation plans for online sales and service agents like myself were good. The benefits were also adequate for what one would expect of a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Complete lack of consistency with regards to recruitment and promotion.
    Mandatory Overtime
    Systems Issues - constant, across the board, un-resolved, inefficient troubleshooting procedures.
    Initial Training- Inadequate for job responsibilities
    No separation of vacation/sick time and penalized regardless when call outs are unscheduled regardless of whether there is PTO available.
    Lack of follow-thru with management at ALL levels of the company and in every division.
    Senior management fails to properly forecast the affects of changes and then blames negative outcomes on lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Get senior management on board that actually REFLECTS your mission to provide superior service and customer experience to its customer base and prioritizes the upkeep and improvement of facilities in existing area prior to absorbing new territories with failing facilities and decreasing customer bases.

8. "Escalation Support Supervisor"

Former Employee - Escaltion Support Supervisor in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Escaltion Support Supervisor in Allen, TX

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There we opened 24 hours

Cons

Frontier did not offer pay raises nor did they have much job opportunities The job was mostly sales which was not revealed in the interview - so in the future please advise your new hires

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your workers/employees let them know they do matter

"I Have Questions, You Should Too"

Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative, Online in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative, Online in Allen, TX

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were very Vet friendly and community oriented when Maggie was the CEO.

Cons

At the end of my time there, I dreaded going to work more and more. I was eventually let go due to an HR issue and the people that work for their HR department in the Texas center (when it was open) were exceptionally ill-equipped to do their jobs. There was a lot of favoritism shown throughout the Residential customer service department in terms of advancement and moving up with the company. If you weren't a part of the "in crowd" or sleeping with someone in leadership or brown nosing you weren't going to get very with the company. It was, like with most companies these days, all about who you knew, not what you knew. I'm thankful I was fired at the end of it all since Frontier eventually laid off all the people i worked with here recently in the last 6 months without batting so much as an eyelash.

Advice to Management

You all are just like the rest of these greedy telecom companies, except you have horrible service/products along with terrible customer service. You focus entirely on expecting high profit and sales margins from your customer service reps and not nearly enough on providing functioning quality service worth the price that you charge your customers. Ever since the acquisition of Connecticut and the Texas/California/Florida regions, you've become centered on getting every cent you can rather than upholding the integrity that your company was initially built on. I don't doubt that someone will have bought you all out within the next 5-10 years if not less.

"Not so much anymore...."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Allen, TX

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chain of command, benefits, co-workers

Cons

Senior Leadership Team, Work Environment, honesty, transparency

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the work

Showing 228 of 1,176 reviews