Frontier Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Frontier Communications Reviews

Updated November 27, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance because it (in 36 reviews)

• As far as upper management is concerned you are just a number (in 76 reviews)

"Management"

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time

Pros

Really can't think of any.

Cons

Senior leadership is a sleep at the wheel, which might be a good thing because they are simply horrible leaders and fail to take ownership for their many shortcomings. This company is destined to fail. Communications are poor, plant conditions are horrible, the company is bleeding customers and cash flow and employee morale can't decline any further. So many people looking for other employment.

"Don't do it!!"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Allen, TX

I worked at Frontier Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was a good company to work for, and develop. But they decided to take on more than they could chew. Customer service & employee morale is down farther than I can mention in a review. Those are the good things.

Cons

Too many of the wrong people doing the wrong job. It starts at the head, and just keeps going down.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your customers, and your employees that actually do the work. Not those that sit in the tower, and have no idea how things really work. Higher ups should not be trying to work where mid level staff works. They can't do it, and just make things worse.

"Dreadful company with grim outlook"

Current Employee - Internet Help Desk in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Internet Help Desk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good, but only because of the pre-existing CBA between the Union and Verizon. Once the CBA expires in 2019, we're all concerned that our jobs will no longer exist.

Cons

Super stressful job. Annual corporate goals were announced in June (halfway through the year) and change on a whim. This reflects our bonus and they seem to be manipulating the metrics to give us the lowest payout possible. Company has outdated software programs that break frequently and cause more problems than they resolve. No money left after the acquisition to invest in infrastructure. Rather than investing in the company and providing training to employees, they hire contractor centers to handle a lot of calls, who have little to no training with the systems or how the product works. Most of the issues we troubleshoot are a result of "employees" screwing things up because they don't know what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Invest in the company! Get rid of the contractors and hire and train employees who are competent. Don't blame the employees for loss of revenue when you're the ones making the decision to outsource!

"Cheese and Rice!"

Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician II in Sun Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician II in Sun Prairie, WI

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free ulcers, migraines and IBS...

Cons

No free treatment for ulcers, migraines and IBS. Unions these days are as corporate and money minded as the company's they claim to protect you against.

This is the worst position you could obtain with Frontier. Say good bye to your free time and hello to a world of hurt. Be prepared to be on your own with zero support from your supervisor and management. Be prepared to work with adults/peers with a grade school mindset (union!). Be prepared for everything to be your responsibility and constantly scrutinized.

Network outages, T-1 call-outs, rotting cables, angry customers, high union fees for low union support, mandatory overtime after overtime was cut, inept leadership from the supervisor on up, including the HR department... the list goes on.

Must be in the position for at least 2 years to transfer to another department. That's 2 years too long!

Advice to Management

Be open and honest when interviewing someone for this position. Communicate to the potential candidate they are on their own with no support from the supervisor, management or the union they will be paying for. Communicate they will have to be available 24/7 to support a chronically defective network with no adept individuals to support them while attempting to repair. Communicate there will be no training provided.

"Long way to go"

Former Employee - Second Level Management
    Former Employee - Second Level Management

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid on time and no waiting period.

Cons

Acquiring old copper networks.
    Not investing enough in upgrading existing networks.
    Corporate leaders lying to investors and employees about setbacks.
    Leadership is more interested in their own salaries, perks, and bonuses than what is good for the company.
    Pay is below industry average.
    Benefits are below industry average.
    Regional and Corporate leadership mental capacity is below industry average.

Advice to Management

You may have been able to run a $1B company, however, increasing your pay while you grew through acquisitions only to of $10B company does not give you the mental fortitude to run this type of business. Frontier is larger than what you can handle. All corporate and regional leadership should be removed and start fresh. Replace the board with new and experienced leaders. No one is being held accountable and that is why this company continues to fall. Stop being selfish to employees, shareholders, and customers.

"We can just get new customers..."

Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Co-Workers, checks clear for now.

Cons

Long List. Mostly management that has no idea on how to keep and bring aboard new customers. Management thinks it is OK to let current customers go since we can just go find new ones that are out there just begging to pay more for less.

Advice to Management

Fire most senior leadership. Retain customers as they are not knocking down our door for our service. Lower revenue is better than no revenue. Get rid of all Verizon and AT&T senior managers. Stop trying to be AT&T and Verizon you have no Wireless service. Be a data company and stop with costly and incoherent systems.

"Former VZ employee"

Current Employee - Billing Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Billing Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing that I can think of

Cons

Continuous cuts in pay, bonus, and benefites

Advice to Management

Reward your high performers or they will continue to leave. If you are going to cut pay and bonuses, cut them from your low performers.

"Not sure leadership know what they are doing"

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team are flexible in terms of work
    First and second level management seems to support our team

Cons

Sr Leadership seems clueless
    Lack of process
    Lack of tools
    Lack of Communications

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a leader, listen to your team.

"this place will not treat you like a human"

Former Employee - Ihd Tech in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Ihd Tech in Rochester, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

thecommisions were good if you were a top seller

Cons

the coaches there dont care about anything but money for sales and thats it they dont care about the employee going out of bussiness in my opinion stock dropped 3$ in two years

"Management desperately needs to course adjust and they are showing no signs of doing so"

Current Employee - Fiber Customer Support Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fiber Customer Support Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because I was transitioned from Verizon, we have great pay and benefits as a left over from Verizon's contract.

Cons

-Once union contract expires all benefits likely up for grabs, or my entire center could be fired
    - Upper management shows no signs of understanding what makes the business run and how to improve it, nor any interest in improving
    - Policies are absolutely designed, from the ground up, to be as frustrating and harmful to customers as management can devise. Customers can never get the same information from any two departments, because departments are so deeply fragmented there is no continuity.
    - Frontier doesn't believe in departmental bridges or "war rooms" to connect multiple departments and resolve issues that take more than a single department
    - Front line employees' responsibilities and empowerment to help customers have been reduced so far that it's clear that Frontier only wants us to sell, even though we are tech support. Actually supporting and solving customer issues has been reduced so far as to be almost non-existent. Frontier upper management seems to be under the impression that as long as we sell, there's no need to support or retain our customers in any way.
    -Skilled departments and employees are treated as worthless, probably because they cost more than outsourced employees. The fact that contracted employees are so helpless that they constantly call full time employees to ask them how to do their jobs seems to have escaped Frontier upper management's notice.
    - There is a general sense from upper management that actual performance doesn't matter as much as making numbers look good. Example: an ideal target for service level in our call center is 85% service level. The reason 85% is preferred over 100%, is because 100% implies there are people on the phones with nothing to do. 85% from a cost-efficiency perspective means that there is a constant flow of work. Right now most calls get routed to contracted vendor centers, so sometimes our full time center receives no calls. In order to "fix" the 100% service level, call agents are told to put their phones into "meeting" so that there are less people on the calls. In short, as long as the numbers are faked to look OK, everything is fine. Number targets matter more than the underlying rationale for the existence of the metric.
    -It's been a year since my region was brought into Frontier. Despite many promises from Frontier upper management when we were first brought in, Frontier has done absolutely nothing to improve the company. Example: One of the most basic things you would give a technical support rep at a competent telecom is the ability to run a line test on customer's phone service, which shows wire faults and helps troubleshoot landline phone problems. Frontier has apparently never had a line test ability despite the age of the company. In the year I have been with the company, they have made no attempts to add one.

Advice to Management

Ask your front line employees what needs to be improved. Include a web-based suggestion website that all employees can vote on; then when you have popular ideas submitted USE THEM. If you have skilled employees gifted to you from Verizon, use their talents and skills. Create a new department for them, use them as your bridge. Even if you drop them all when the union contract expires, at least use the time you have with them to enrich the company.

Showing 336 of 1,281 reviews