Frontier Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Frontier Communications Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Pros
  • the pay and benefits were great but I was better off finishing school (in 56 reviews)

• Solid company with good benefits (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Good work life balance for all employees (in 32 reviews)

• Communication between upper management and front line does not exist (in 67 reviews)

"Bully Sales Force disguised as Customer Service"

Current Employee - Residential Chat Sales Customer Service in Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Residential Chat Sales Customer Service in Deland, FL

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am unable to say anything positive about this corporation as it would not do justice to the egregious falsehoods they are getting away with.

Cons

Misleading, pushy, false, unsupportive, unethical and encouraging of deceptive employee practices. Quick to quiet any questioning of their immoral, unethical practices. Threaten to terminate any employees who question unethical, deceptive practices.

Advice to Management

Do you have the ability to talk your way out of actually helping customers? Can you give customers the run-around by transferring them to other departments when they don't want to buy the products you're required to sell or when they want to cancel their services? Can you pretend to be a customer service rep when you're really only supposed care about selling Frontier products to customers? If you answered YES to any of these questions, Frontier is the place for you. However, if you are a customer of Frontier Communications, you already know this. Florida is the perfect location for companies like this. Due to Florida's Right To Work laws (meaning an employer does not need a reason to fire anyone), unethical companies like Frontier, will thrive here. Their training consists of 4-6 weeks of lecturing by a bossy, pushy con artist who will bully anyone who asks questions or for clarification. They will slowly reveal the insane expectations of the job throughout this period while sugarcoating it in promises of $3000 - 4000/month commission checks. For example, you will learn that you will be expected to handle two customer chat sessions at the same time. Yes. This is how little they care about listening to their customers. Also, that they have just acquired 8 million new customers from Verizon and AT&T and that there are 10-20 different computer programs you will need to access and be proficient in, in order to help them. They will tell you in the beginning that it will take you at least 5-6 months to begin to understand this job yet some new hires with a conscience, or common sense will not return after a few days on the job and some will be terminated just before the 90 probationary period for allegedly failing to meet job expectations. That's right. What Frontier "says" and what Frontier actually "does" do not add up.

My requests for help were answered with "We can do that." What they actually did to help me was nothing. When I emailed a copy of a customers contact, I had received, whereby a customer's request for a downgrade, was transferred from customer service to 3 different departments, to my "Coach/supervisor." It was ignored. When I expressed some trepidation about chatting with 2 customers at the same time, I was immediately brought to the directors office and told my sales were too low, my handle time was too long, my sales per hour was too low, and basically was a complete failure and I would not meet expectations of the job and not meet my sales quota along with a lot of "what can we do to help you?" This was after one week on the job. This continued weekly. I was pulled off my sales/customer service work time to be berated and belittled and promised support with "what can we do to help" by my coach and the director. So I asked for help. When I asked for an outline of the 10-20 computer programs we were expected to use and each programs functions, I was told "we can do that." I never got it. When I asked for help by emailing 2 customer accounts to my "supervisor/coaches" whereby the customers complained for over an hour about being overcharged, double billed, and lied to about pricing, it was ignored. Finally, after 4 weeks of getting ignored and unjustly criticised by my "coach/supervisor" and director and out of sheer desperation I went to Human Resources. Realising this was probably the beginning of the end of my Frontier career, I told Human Resources that I could get no help or support from my coaches and or supervisor and that my best, novice efforts were being shot down weekly by my coach, and her supervisor.

In summary, Frontier is just another arrogant, bully corporation who knows they don't have to care, train or support their customers, or customer service/sales team or support ethical business practices to make millions of dollars. Also, anyone who questions what they're doing will be disposed of faster then you can say "due diligence.' I hope somebody with the power and authority puts an end to tyrants like Frontier Communications.

Finally, my advice to management is this: Ask yourselves how it came to be that you can get away with being so deceptive towards your customers and workforce. When you discover the answer, ask yourselves how much longer you will be able to get away with it before regulations are set in place and you are called to answer for your actions.

"Management Employees"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best people in the business work for this company. Great team and partnership.

Cons

The company's instability since its purchase of Verizon in April 2016 has caused a reduction in work force and fear and uncertainty among the management team. I would never recommend this company because of these factors.

Advice to Management

Frontier should have molded it's company into Verizon and not the other way around. The company has gone down hill since the inception of your purchase.

"Corporate stenchs seep into every aspect of Frontier"

Former Employee - Lead/Trainer/FiberOptics in Henrietta, NY
    Former Employee - Lead/Trainer/FiberOptics in Henrietta, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Competitive Benefits, although the market is atrocious anyways.
    - Excellent and dedicated co-workers
    - Some limited opportunity

Cons

- Complete disregard of employees and their families needs
    - Hypocritical to a degree that cannot even be measured
    - Upper management breeds dishonest, dividing, and unethical tactics
    - "Politics" of the company has reached an all time high
    - Failed and empty promises for higher caliber and paying jobs
    - 100% use and abuse of their own employees, offering higher paid positions but not offering the pay along with it -- and then ultimately pulling those jobs away from everyone once the company didn't have an urgent need for them any longer (multiple occasions).
    - Hired 300 new employees and then announced 1,250 lay-offs 6 months later.
    - Any higher tiers got out-sourced to different states (multiple occasions).
    - Co-workers and myself had been written up for answering a cell phone off the clock while 1 foot is already out the front door. Written up and stripped of Work At Home privileges for Cold Transferring a customer to a dept once they were on hold waiting for over 5 mins for the dept to answer the phone. Calling out Cx Service on slamming customers and unethical sales tactics, contacting people who neglected to do their job and holding them accountable, using extremely mild and soft curse words like "damn", "hell", and "pissed".

- And this was just the tip of the ice berg, I worked there for 4 years as a young professional, never in my life have I seen a company treat its employees the way that Frontier has.
    - Very blatant that they don't care about anyone besides money and ratings.
    - I made myself resign and find a new career within 1 month and have been happier than ever.
    - I could not believe I tolerated such treatment for so long.
    - I would not wish anyone a job at Rochester IHD unless being homeless was the only other option.
    - Was once considered one of the best employees in the office -- before being suffocated by corporate greed.

Advice to Management

Instead of being corporate pawns, fufill your job duties which are to defend and negotiate circumstances and relations between higher management and the floor reps. Entry level employee get zero protection and representation. Divorce fear tactics for motivation.

"Build a Reliable Network"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time

Pros

The people that were initially part of Verizon know what they're doing and could be levereage by the company to get themselves in a better place.

Cons

Company is too unorganized and lack of basic processes and automation. Too many things are done manually and we're in 2016. This is a telecommunications company that's supposed to be technology driven, but it's years behind impacting with it even the best products they have. People may have the heart in the right place, but it takes more than that to run a successful business. Senior leadership doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on and it seems they avoid addressing the major issues.

Advice to Management

Invest in the right systems and work to ensure the reliability of the network. Your people, then, will do the job. Employees need to believe in what they offer and what they have at the moment it's not what we used to have before.

"Just awful"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work for the LEC

Cons

Terrible commission structure, Management makes poor decisions, customer service does nothing, sales has to project manage the project managers, billing is always wrong, order entry/flow is cumbersome, sales engineers are basically data entry, limited technology, no accountability.

Advice to Management

listen to your people who are on the street working

"sucked"

Former Employee - Field Supervisor in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Field Supervisor in Middletown, CT

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

non unless you like to sell crap product that barely com peat with cable

Cons

only apply if you like to work for megalomaniacs who treat you like an idiot unless your a yes man

Advice to Management

get ready to sell a service that doesnt work

"For a technology company, they are really behind the times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Frontier Communications (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are ok. Vacation time is ok. Company credit card can be used for travel.

Cons

Very disrespectful managers - late to internal meetings and customer meetings.

It is really a good old boy network. If you aren't a good old boy, you need not apply. They spend more time telling redneck jokes and deciding where to go to lunch than they do actually doing their jobs.

Employees and some managers spend more time selling makeup during the work day than they do actually trying to make the customers and company better. Some managers even try to recruit fellow employees into their cosmetic pyramids on company time. Have even seen company-sponsored events where employees were actually selling makeup instead of telecommunications.

Salary is lower than most of the industry.

Office equipment and furniture are outdated.

Advice to Management

Put a stop to the above practices. Focus on timely installations of services and equipment.

"Unfortunate"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Irving, TX

Pros

The pay and benefits are the only reason to work here. You are an overpaid monkey that cant fix anything and gets yelled at all day.

Cons

The company was better as Verizon. It is being run into the ground by the managers that do nothing but collect a check and the rampant toxic environment that picks on people that have not been there very long.

Advice to Management

stop playing favorites and hire someone that knows how to run a call center and managers that dont just sit there.

"Horrible place to work, avoid at all costs."

Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY

Pros

Decent health benefits, 8% matching 401k

Cons

Poor Management, totally overworked and underpaid. They run their business like it was a mom and pop shop when it's supposed to be an enterprise company. They will work you like a dog and you are not at all appreciated. People who do nothing get don't get fired and people who are hard workers don't get rewarded.You only get a 2% yearly raise IF YOU'RE LUCKY! If you get promoted don't count on a raise of more than 5% because it's not going to happen. Started in a lower position and got promoted and only made a dollar more. Looked up the starting salary of my title and it was THOUSANDS higher than I was making. Told them about it an they promised me another raise on my 6 month review and never gave it to me.

Advice to Management

Do something about all of the slackers and start rewarding your good employees!! Stop working people long hours that are unreasonable. Stop taking away the only perks you provide your employees like work from home. Start running your business efficiently and effectively.

"Don't work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

Okay Salary and benefits. Time off is generous.

Cons

NEPOTISM CENTRAL, No management support. DO NOT work there if you haven't worked for commonwealth before or have a friend that works there.

Advice to Management

Have management on location. Too many want to play manager and seriously lack the qualifications except for time being in the positions..

Showing 287 of 1,106 reviews