Fru-Con Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Fru-Con Construction Reviews

Updated January 21, 2017

3.7
Ray Bond

1. "Good construction company"

Former Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fru-Con Construction (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company's been around for 145 years; even as a BBII division, the awareness of this history and commitment to continuing it is apparent in the company's culture. Management, at least in the financial aspect where I worked, was prudent in their behavior. The regional controller specifically made great efforts to help me develop professionally.

Cons

My complaints pertain less to the company and more to the project manager to whom I reported. He resented that the company hired me without involving him in the process (his exact words to this effect were "at every other company I've worked at, no one on the project team got hired if the project manager didn't want them"). This naturally had pervasive downstream effects on our working relationship and eventually led to my resignation.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Fru-Con Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very talented staff - among all disciplines.
    Large company with small company feel, you get to know most of the employees.
    Also trying to keep up with technology.

Cons

Sometimes a little unorganized.
    Has its share of blame throwers

3. "My first exposure to the Heavy Construction Industry."

Pros

High integrity heavy international contractor.

Cons

May not be able to move around within the company to increase your skills and knowledge to advance your career.

5. "Decent company to work for with limitations."

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Fru-Con Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and work hours.

Cons

Upper management seems to be compensated well. Middle management is held to lower salaries and benefits, typical of most companies these days. Difficult to move up in this company unless you play the games. I witnessed several quality managers come and go from this organization, with little concern from upper management as long as they could keep their hand picked few average employees jumping at their commands.

Advice to Management

Consider compensating the middle management employees more in line with what they contribute, than locking them in to a preset salary. The middle management employees are more of the face of the company and have more actual impact on costs and profits in a service oriented company.