Fruitful Yield Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Albert P Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Free education, but overload of work"

I have been working at Fruitful Yield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a lot of learning opportunities, and you receive a ton of free products from the company and vendors. They host a pretty good amount employee appreciation events and theres a small quarterly bonus.

Cons

The amount of information you are expected to retain is unrealistic. It'd be nice if it were possible, but a lot of it is collage level, nutrition and anatomy information. Their sales strategy is to have a brilliant staff who is able to educate the customer. They have also stopped promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find balance for their teams and realize how much they are asking of everyone and how small the reward is. (pay)

2. "A Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Darien, IL

Pros

Other employees were like a second family. The managers at my particular store were awesome (although both are unfortunately no longer managers). We got to learn about all the different products. We got free products every month. Now Foods is a pretty good company as far as quality of products is concerned.

Cons

Pay. Definitely the pay. Corporate put a lot of pressure on the managers, and it showed. Corporate micro-managing was annoying. Very limited ability to move up to higher positions. You definitely need to be on your A-game as far as customer service is concerned - there are some very difficult people, and many of them are repeat customers.

Advice to Management

The people who work for corporate should be moved up from the stores - we know a lot more about our customers than someone coming in off the streets. There are a lot of people in sales associate positions who want to move up.

"The company itself is great. They have a great selection at prices usually better than any other retailer."

Former Employee - Manager in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Fruitful Yield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good atmosphere, product trainings, a lot of free product. The people you would work with are generally very passionate about the industry.

Cons

Management is awful. Especially the new management that took over in late 2015. They came in from Vitamin Shoppe and sterilized a formerly warm lively fun atmosphere. They push store managers very hard and don't compensate them in any way. Not even a "good job" and a handshake is offered for working 60+ hours a week and getting paid for 40 hours. They think they can come in, slap a budget on everything, have ZERO marketing plans while cutting payroll to increase customer satisfaction. The opposite happened. They put a strict budget on payroll and then complained about not having enough staff on the floor to help customers. Store managers would constantly ask them for help and go to them for insight on increasing sales and their reply was "what are YOU going to do to increase sales?". Not very supportive at all. Complete opposite of the previous management. What was once a warm inviting knowledgeable place to get supplements and unique gluten free organic foods is now becoming a bland cold uninviting just-another-place-to-buy-vitamins retailer where staff knowledge is declining because upper management doesn't have a passion about health and wellness and that attitude trickles down to the store managers. The weight they put on the store managers also forces them to cut staff trainings in order to focus on other pointless tasks that are expected of them. The previous management genuinely cared about health and wellness as well as being keen business people. The new regime only cares about profits and progress. Same model as VS I suppose. Simply concerned about numbers. Absolutely no heart. So much so that when they came in they put an enormous pressure on store managers and simply targeted certain ones in order to force them out so that they can bring in their minions from Vitamin Shoppe. Since they arrived they brought in 3 of their former managers from VS and that doesn't even include the general manager bringing his district manager from VS that has followed him to every company for over 20 years. Seems kind of biased to me. Suffice it to say it is no longer the company it used to be and in my opinion will only continue to get worse. They have joined the ranks of those companies that will cut any and all corners to achieve domination.

Pay for a part time associate starts at $10/hr.

Advice to Management

If you're going to tell someone how to do their job you should be able to do their job. Get off your pedestal and get your hands dirty like you said you would. The general manager said "I'm going to spend a week in the stores working on the floor and see how things are run". Well that never happened. Spoken like a true politician.

"Shop down the lane"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL

I worked at Fruitful Yield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place to learn for people who are motivated; generous discount for all employees. Great training ground for eager folks with a slight nutritional background.

Cons

Shifting corporate ethos and changeover is influencing the way business is done. Store is often treated as the orphan child of the larger factory, now foods. Directives -- how business is done--will change from day to day, hour to hour.

Advice to Management

Remember the loyal shoppers who looked to you for help in their need for health and wholeness; do not replace staff with a computer as they do at the shoppe down the lane.

5. "Decent Retail Job"

I have been working at Fruitful Yield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for full-time employees and most managers try their best to balance individuals busy schedule. Definitely less stressful than most other retail jobs but a strong backing in supplemental knowledge or willingness to learn is definitely required.

Cons

If coming in as a part-timer looking to become full-time or in need of benefits it will be a hard long wait for full-time positions are pretty scarce at most stores. If not interested in supplements would not recommend trying to work here.

Advice to Management

Management is going through a good change and currently working under new leadership, which I have found to be working out decently. The only thing I feel is an issue is the core focus of avg sale over just end day net sale goals. This sometimes causes employees to have to try to bother customers and put them on the spot for doing so even if intentions were good.

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Darien, IL

I worked at Fruitful Yield (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were like my second family, we all worked well together.

Cons

The corporate side seemed to be a little bit stressful when sales went down.

7. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Darien, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Darien, IL

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Learn about products that benefit your health
    -Free product a month
    -Quarterly bonuses
    -Nice people
    -Great store hrs
    -If your in high school this is a great first job! For the most part you will be...getting paid more then most of your friends, get out earlier than most of your friends (so enough time for homework and going out and having fun), as well as having a job that is actually meaningful for your future (not many jobs will teach you how to better yourself health wise.)

Cons

I can say my pros as a young part time employee working for the company for a year. As for a long term full time employe am not sure how much more benefit one would receive. Like I said above great job to start off at as a high schooler and going throughout collage. Not many companies will give you what now foods can offer. But for some long term employes I have heard some negative comments about not making much more than the new employes are coming in making. I really do like the company and if that is the case it is a shame.

Another con is that there really is not a lot of room to move up in the company. There is a store manger, an assistant manager, as well as a nutritionist. But from my understanding they all have been working there for years and room for more employes to move up is when one steps down. There are opportunity to move up and work for corporate or in the manufacturing facility but I am not all to familiar with that and how easy it is to get into one of those positions.

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time

Pros

Great People, Great Training, Flexible hours

Cons

Retail position, as a sales associate expect to wear many hats, to be expected about any job though.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great pay, hours, and learning involved, but horrible corporate and management."

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Fruitful Yield for over two years as a sales associate and key holder and loved every minute of it. Hourly wages were outstanding for a retail job. I was started out at over 9.50 and hour and gradually moved up to over 10. The manager who I worked with was a saint and very understanding about coming in late at times, but also knew which employees to give more hours and responsibilities. Every employee that I worked with treated you as family and we all had no trouble getting the work that needed to be done that day in a little amount of time. If you needed more hours as a part-timer, they would gladly give me 30 to sometimes 35 hours a week.

Cons

The manager who I had worked with ultimately left for a better opportunity elsewhere, and that was when I realized how much of corporate and upper management they hid from us. Corporate is brutal with employees even those who have worked there for years. Rules such as when the cash register is short, everyone who had used it that day will get written up. Even if you had done nothing wrong. The new manager who I worked with the next day was very cold and heartless. Some of the first words I heard out of her mouth as we checked stock were, " This is so degrading. I shouldn't be doing this". Apparently management should not have to mingle with the little people such as you and just sit in the office all day playing manager. The reason I quit was that my school schedule was changing and I had requesting working two to three days a week instead of five. Corporate came back and announced that would not work and I left the next few weeks instead of getting fired.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to compete with huge companies like Wal-Mart and get it through your thick skulls that people are sick of being treated like dirt. This could be a excellent place to work if it was not for corporate bullies sitting in their office all day announcing new rules and procedures that ruin the employee moral.

10. "Learn a lot, room for growth, great environment"

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here. It's very laid back and flexible environment. You get to learn new things every day, and get training from different companies. If you put in work and show interest, the company really invests in you and your growth. Management is very understanding and friendly.

Cons

For the information and help we give customers the pay could be a little bit higher. Customers sometimes mistake you for a doctor and get frustrated (or even angry) with you when you tell them you're not.

Advice to Management

We want to make the business grow and expand just as much as you do. :)