Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training, Resources, Friendly Management, Flexibility,

Cons

Office needs major updating that should've been done last decade

Advice to Management

Update the Office

2. "Great Company, takes pride!"

I have been working at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is priceless. You can use your insurance, hassle free work environment.

Cons

None, satisfied 100. Not being paid daily? Lol

3. "trash"

I have been working at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage full-time

Pros

I never have to go back their again

Cons

Management and drivers are terrible and will steal your money without caring. you dont get to clock yourself in so you have to assume that theyre give you the right amount of hours which they literally never did. horrible place to work

Advice to Management

quit

4. "Old Boy company"

I worked at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage full-time

Pros

Employees are paid every week

Cons

Cliquish, managers play favorites, Lower managers use upper management like "Wait till your father gets home" "Do you want me to talk to Earl about this matter?" Managers are promoted more on seniority and rarely on skill set. Management will play one department against another. Each manager can follow company rules as they feel. So, while one department follows them to the letter another department will be more lax and upper manager doesn't see the problem.

Advice to Management

Most managers need to take a course on how to manage employees. Things should be fairer as to the Christmas party. Some have never had the "luck" of the draw that repeat "lucky" employees have had.

5. "A good company for a Mover."

Former Employee - Mover in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Mover in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage (More than 8 years)

Pros

They stay busy. They are basically the industry standard

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the Company, if you want to work, they will put you to work.

Advice to Management

None

"It's an OK Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Pros

The best thing about working in the Kansas City office was my peers in various departments. The people in customer service and sales really look out for each other and help each other out immensely because the job can be demanding and stressful and they truly operate as a team to make everyone as successful as possible. There is a divide, I felt, between office staff and operations that made things a lot harder than they had to be but overall the office staff were great and the only real thing I will miss about working there.

The only reason why I am giving 2 stars because of the rest of the office staff I worked with there, Fry-Wagner has a great group of people working there and I feel they go greatly underappreciated. Monetarily speaking that is..

Cons

As great as the office staff was, I felt upper management was lacking heavily. When I first started, the training and support was average at best, they really throw you to the wolves there, but allow you to make mistakes because there is a learning curve in the moving industry. But once the initial love affair is over I felt upper management's support and availability really started to wane. There would be times where my supervisor would be out of town for several days with no notice (not that he has to clear it with me first or anything, it was business related) and completely unavailable during those times, maybe a heads up would be nice?

There are certain individuals in operations management that are allowed to be rude and belligerent to members of customer service. I know in the 18 months I was there, one particular individual had 3 separate complaints on them for the way they treated other office associates. As far as I know, nothing was ever done about any of these complaints because that individual had been with the company for 20+ years. On one occasion, this person told me that "If I had been in the office when he received that (an email about a change of service for the next day) I would have been going to HR because he would have yelled and screamed at me so bad." Who says that? Why are people allowed to talk like that to fellow co-workers? These types of tirades were commonplace with this individual and whenever I confronted my supervisors about it, the answer I was given was, "That's just the way (he) is..."

But my biggest reason for leaving was when I received my annual review, I met or exceeded expectations in every single category possible and was given a 1.5% raise (maximum was 2%). This 1.5% amounted to a whopping $16 more a paycheck or $500 more a year. I felt this was an insult to how hard I had been working. My job had turned into covering multiple desks outside of normal duties, which I had no problem doing because I felt it was beneficial to my career, I was doing a lot more than others in my position and felt I deserved to be treated better than 1.5%. If there was more opportunity for advancement in the company the low raises wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't, I figured I was going to be stuck with the same salary basically for a few years before I would actually start seeing a difference in pay.

The company, and the moving industry as a whole, is ran by dinosaurs. There is nothing new and innovative happening at Fry- Wagner or any other moving company or agent of United Vanlines. Upper management will say they want new fresh blood and new ideas, but that is not the case, and once the people who are currently working there begin to retire, it will be hard to replace them because they do not appeal long term to younger professionals.

Working at Fry-Wagner was like watching a movie that's pretty good, and then the ending is so bad the movie is totally ruined. I went in to give my two-week notice with a letter of resignation, trying to be professional and do the right thing, and I was fired immediately. I don't know of a lot of other legitimate companies that have such a practice, but if anyone who currently works at Fry-Wagner is reading this, you're better off just walking out and bailing on your job than to do the right thing a give notice.

Advice to Management

People like me who are college educated are going to use places like Fry-Wagner as a lily-pad company. Somewhere to get experience in a certain field and then move on to a better company down the road. I know around the same time I gave my notice, there were others there who were moving on to other companies as well for similar reasons. Everyone likes the lunches and little treats the company provides for being great but, raises and bonuses are a better reward for good performance, if they are people like me, they have house payments, car payments and the dreaded student loan payments, people can always use a little something extra to help with those things.

And stop letting people in operations treat customer service associates poorly. When there's been multiple complaints in one year about certain people, maybe looking the other way isn't the best solution.

7. "do'nt work here, save yourself"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage (Less than a year)

Pros

the blue collar workers you would work with, if working locally in st. louis. it's the team spirit that keeps the good people going who work here.

Cons

cons, oh yeah theres plenty of cons, they're called the management, like a snake in the grass. save yourself some grief, go to work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

my advice, yeah go play on the highway. or just step aside and then some decent, honest people could do the job without making their living off of somebody elses back.

8. "Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture and people. The work pace is busy and challenging. Good to gain experience.

Cons

Small to medium size company. There is not a tremendous amount of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your people.

9. "Fry"

Pros

Not micro-managed, laid back, & flexible

Cons

Underpaid, under appreciated, horrible benefits, & no room for growth

10. "One big family!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly coworkers
    Low Stress
    Very accommodating management

Cons

Not much room for advancement since many workers stick around for so long since it's such a great company.