Fry's Electronics Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry
Randy Fry

Pros
  • Learn a lot about the latest tech, friendly staff, decent employee discount (in 48 reviews)

• You can make good money some weeks and no cap on commission (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • You used to be at least able to live off a sales job here but now everyone is just trying to make minimum wage (in 45 reviews)

• This is probably the biggest reason for declining or inconsistent customer service (in 32 reviews)

1. "Fun, Friendly, Knowledgeable, not much future for most, though..."

Former Employee - Electronic Entertainment Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Electronic Entertainment Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All my coworkers and even lower and middle management were very cool, interesting, knowledgeable and professional. When I joined Fry's needing a short-term but full-time job, I did not yet know much about electronics in general, but I learned quickly and did well in the sales role thanks to the support of my team. Some sales contests, great camaraderie and as much geekish conversation as you could stand helped make work interesting. I learned something new every day.

Cons

It seems they stay in business because of the Christmas season, as they hire a new crop of new recruits each fall, and the business all but falls off completely after the turn of the New Year. I was taking home $500 a week around Christmas, but barely more than minimum wage after New Year. I had to leave for another opportunity within a few months in order to make ends meet. Thus they seem to retain only a very small group of permanent sales associates, and seem to have fairly high turn over, mostly guys and gals right out of high school or in college.

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider changing the pay structure to help keep more tenured talent there longer. However, I confess I do not know offhand how to suggest doing so.

2. "stay away"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none that I can think of.... except looks good on a resume

Cons

company treats you like dung... management flawed in every possible way... pay is a joke... there's enough cons to write a book

Advice to Management

move on, get a better job... at least your resume will look good with "management experience" when you finally wake up and hunt for one

3. "So you want to be a sales associate at Fry's...?"

Former Employee - Appliance-Wireless Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Appliance-Wireless Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For me, during the 10 months I've worked at Fry's as an Appliance/Wireless Sales Associate, the biggest pro was the people I worked with in my department. They're a great group. Better than the other departments, in my opinion...
    As with many other retail stores, you can get a discount on everything in the store...other than food and drinks. There's a cafe in there which is cool. You are allowed a 10 minute break before lunch and one after depending on how many hours you work that day since the schedule fluctuates often... But it's a good job I guess for someone who wants a career in retail and sales. (Obviously). So there are opportunities for career growth. Even though training wasn't great, you start off earning $10 per hour without commission...for only two weeks when training is done.

Cons

Let me first start out with the fact that it's mainly a commission-based job with a cut-throat environment. If your commission amount doesn't meet the amount you'd earn each week on the $7.25 minimum wage per hour, then you'll be fired. That is, if it happens five weeks in a row. So I highly recommend trying your absolute best to sell items that give good commission like the appliances for example. But, with all the discounts for customers like the promo codes and price matching discounts as well as some items NOT EVEN GIVING ANY COMMISSION, it's hard to make your weekly quota. In order to get commission, you have to write up as many quotes for customers as possible who are planning to purchase an item from your department.

To write up a quote, if you aren't familiar with them, is to scan the customer's item, apply any discount they want, get their information, then print it and give it to them so they can be on their merry way. Other than the discounts slashing the commission in half or even more is the fact that we can't necessarily force customers to buy something if they don't want to buy it. And when we have freight (more products to put away) from Receiving, that takes away the time you could be making sales. Another thing is that some customers don't want to waste their time to have you write a quote for them or don't want to give any personal information. It's like, "There goes my commission right out the door".

Lastly, since the schedules change every week, if you have closing hours, you have to wait until all the other departments are done for the night in order to leave. Oh, and the only days of the year that Fry's is closed are Christmas and Easter. While I've been working there, I saw thirty co-workers leave. Either due to school, other employment, or just stopped showing up for work at all. The training was okay. Not great though because after watching all the cheesy training videos from the 90s, they just throw you out on the sales floor and if you don't know anything about the products, you get yelled at by customers calling you an idiot.

5. "Wireless Sales"

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the team that I worked within my department & the ability to see what's new coming into stores was pretty neat.

Cons

Pay, for was by far the worse thing about working here. It required you to meet a certain criteria but if you didn't meet it then they would cover you but if the following week if you made more than the minimum criteria they would deduct it from what they had to cover for you the previous week. Certain departments made more money than others and if you weren't in the money making departments you were pretty much screwed.

"inefficient"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fry's Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

good commission, good hours, mostly nice people

Cons

bad organization, uses old technology, terrible POS system, PC salesmen make ONLY commission

Advice to Management

switch to more efficient ways of keeping track of sales/commission and a better POS system

7. "Components can pay"

Current Employee - Electronic Components Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electronic Components Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fry's Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

If you know what you are talking about you will get regular customers looking for your advice.

Cons

Changes in the way the store is run and the non-sales related work that must be performed.

8. "really fun place to work there but no opportunity to be something"

Current Employee - Appliance/Wireless Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Appliance/Wireless Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the work it's not so hard,

Cons

you only going to work on commission, no base salary, they will give you the minimum 7.25 but if you not make it for 6 week they will fire you, and any items they put them on sales they will take the commission from you, also the match price you made from amazon or such you will lose it, the quote system is stupid wast costumer time but you need to give them the quote so you can get your commission, the management really don't care about the employers it doesn't mater if you stayed 5 years or 1 you will get the same !

Advice to Management

it's easy just lose the commission,and make it base salary

9. "Former Computer sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

Since Fry's is a big retailer has multiple stores all around the U.S, therefore selection of products and store size is never a problem. You can find anything from Fry's from electronics, cellphones, small computers components to TVs, etc..

Cons

Sales job are all commission based salary. Turn over are usually high and somewhat not really good management. Customer service is always the goal Fry's try to achieve as best but has too many issues due to complication policy.

10. "Was a good sales experiance"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to grow in the company was always there. I love computers so it was great to be able to sell something that I loved.

Cons

The department that I was in had 5 managers. And there were times when all of them were there. It was very difficult to understand the direction the department was headed when they didn't agree on something. I did not enjoy working after closing to put the signage up. It was a smart choice from corporate to get the sales guys to do this since we only made minimum wage.

Advice to Management

More respect for employees.

"Good start job"

Former Employee - Computer Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tons of freedom
    -You can make a lot of money if you're a good enough salesman

Cons

-Horrible management
    -PSC's
    -If you get promoted it's either out of luck or your just a good salesman
    -Fighting over sales
    -TSR
    -Trying to justify restocking and cleaning the aisles as a way of selling a laptop with a PSC
    -V-Con
    -Horrible employee discounts (Price match when you possibly can)

Advice to Management

Stop being oblivious to the fact that you work for a crappy company that makes salesmen do all the work that you hire hourly merchandisers do.