Fuchs Lubricants Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Puffpaff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Low salary compared to area

Advice to Management

Employee retention

"Probably the WORST and last industry company I'll ever work for!"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Harvey, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Harvey, IL

I worked at Fuchs Lubricants (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros

Cons

The environment sucks, the pay sucks (for what they put you through), and most of all, the ppl suck. There is absolutely no team work at all. Management gives a bunch of BS busy work with no purpose & watches your every move like you're a child. Even though there is absolutely no initiatives to move up, when you try to move up and go for a higher position, they look at you like you're crazy and hire someone from outside of the company, which tells me that they don't even value their own employees. Most of all the people who have been there for years have no respect for one another, have no clue what diversity even means, and are lazy as hell. There is no amount of money that they could ever pay me to come back. I leaned nothing from working in this dead end position.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management because in my opinion this company isn't event worth trying to save.

"Can't Believe anything said!"

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There are some very nice people here to work with, most people work very hard for minimal reward.
    - Company actually could be a very good company if it were run correctly.

Cons

Management is being run like a cult or a popular group in High School that only let a select few in. Profits are made Yearly yet raises remain lower than the average(for most). Nepotism rules throughout every department. The Bonus plan is TOTALLY unfair and one sided.

Advice to Management

Start to be more fair to ALL employees.....Stop asking for suggestions from the employees if no one is going to listen to them.

Stop lying to employees

"Change at higher management level is needed"

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very attractive paid time off policy. Great employees at middle/lower levels. Company sponsored events and flexibility of middle level management are nice things to have!

Cons

Benefits (401k, insurance, bonus) and pay are way under market average taking into consideration high profitability of this business. Very top heavy - the company has 12-13 vice presidents in various capacities and not enough middle level support (engineering, maintenance and R&D departments are bare bones). Some top senior managers (VPs) are an absolute joke - never had a job outside of this organization. The company grew faster than their ability to comprehend that command and control model with very little of goal/reward oriented motivational system do not work anymore.

Advice to Management

The CEO is an extremely intelligent and very well educated individual. He is trying to change the existing system and empower employees. It is a great principle. However, a lot of lower level employees have a negative opinion about him as he is being misrepresented by some of most senior VPs. These guys will never change and need to go. It is hard to respect someone at the VP's level who can't even compose an email, log into an SAP system that their entire department lives and dies by, or someone who spends more time talking about their golf adventures than worrying about performance of a department that they're in charge of. You can have the greatest CEO under the sun but if his VPs do a poor job this is the impression that the average Joe at Fuchs will get.

"Young, bright, talented? Not the place for you!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harvey, IL

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They say are trying to find ways to improve...but...

Cons

The upper level is so old in their thinking and mentality. They don't know how to change to make things better. They have executives there that will work against employees if they don't like them regardless of their work and performance. There is a lot favoritism and discrimination. No diversity at all. This company has a very old European way of thinking and that is why they cannot maintain young bright talent. Many talented people leave within a year because Fuchs is not ready for us. Keep your resume locked and loaded here! This company is dying quickly

Advice to Management

Get some exposure and walk your talk. You have been retaining people who are destroying your company and your bottom line. Let hem go before you lose all of your good people.

"Resistant to change!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harvey, IL

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Leader in specialty lubricants
    -High margins
    -Majority of the people are great
    -Had good capital investments this year

Cons

-We're stuck in the past and cannot budge from our command and control ideology
    -Middle management gets squeezed from both ends
    -Lack of resources!! (manpower, tools, training...)
    -Lack of approval of some executives, especially CEO
    -Recruitment has reverted to its old aniquated process
    -Low pay for employees that have been with the company a while, newer employees get paid more appropriately
    -Antiquated processes throughout the business

Advice to Management

-Hire better people and let them do their job
    -Don't resist change!!
    -Continue the path we started in the beginning of 2016 (before we crawled back into our shell...)

"My Two Cents..."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Harvey, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Harvey, IL

Pros

Fuchs U.S. has the potential to become a world class organization, and a phenomenal place to work. However, that potential will remain just potential until real changes in middle/upper management are made.

There are a few truly outstanding individuals that work at Fuchs Lubricants, who I will miss working with dearly.

Cons

A mature industry where little has changed in the past 30 years. Even though change is slowly occurring, if the mindsets of upper management do not change, it is unlikely that the necessary real change can occur.

Most issues can be distilled down to a lack of trust and empowerment throughout many levels of the organization.

Any impetus for change is quickly neutralized by the stale notions of upper management who do not appear to value the input of lower management or the employees beneath them.

Many employees seem comfortable with the status quo, and have lost the initiative with respect to continuous improvements.

Advice to Management

Unless trusted and empowered to carry out the vision of upper management, great employees are like a high energy NASCAR team without the steering wheel and fuel for their stock car. For those born to be part of the competition and win, being without the means to compete goes against who they are at the core, and it won't be long before they will seek an active racing team. At the end of the day, all that will be left are those individuals who are comfortable spectating, content to be going nowhere.

Outstanding people are key to a thriving organization, and when an organization thrives, success is the natural result. Attracting and retaining quality individuals will continue to be an issue where there are no performance expectations, no employee cultivation, and no consequence for sub-standard performance.

"They're trying..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harvey, IL

I have been working at Fuchs Lubricants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really great people that work here and sometimes that's the only reason I haven't found another employer.

On the plus side, the company is aware of how low the employee morale actually is and they are taking steps to change that.

Cons

Salary is especially low for employees that have been with the company a long time. New hires, especially in higher levels, seem to be where all the money goes.
    Employee morale is quite low and it seems to be because the company is extremely profit focused, usually at the expense of their employees. Almost all departments are understaffed and, therefore, overworked, yet no one seems interested in rectifying the situation because it's "not in the budget".

Advice to Management

Don't tell the employees what you think they want to hear. Tell them the truth. Care about them as much as you care about profits and everything will be fine.

"Poor Employee Morale and no Work Life Balance"

I worked at Fuchs Lubricants full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with. Salaries are fair, benefits are below most larger companies but decent. Exposure to many talented people.

Cons

Employee morale is the worst of any employer I have ever been with. Lack of understanding by company management that work isn't the only thing in life and people have families to take care of. People I consider excellent employees are always looking to leave but stay and do their job to just get a paycheck for lack of other opportunities, but will leave when the chance comes. Many of the people who really cared about the company as they considered Fuchs their family have left and many of the remaining staff do not really care and do their job to collect a paycheck and have no interest in long term goals for the company.

Advice to Management

Focus on Positives and Quit focusing on Negatives

"No good"

I worked at Fuchs Lubricants (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no good reason to work for them as a company that claims to be like a family they don't care about anybody

Cons

Where do you want me to start all they do is lie management talks to people like the company is doing the worker a favor.