Fuel Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Fuel Industries Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2019

2.9
Fuel Industries CEO Mike Burns (no image)
Mike Burns
  1. "Designer"

I have been working at Fuel Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment with projects that are flexible to designer input and flowing well with working on a team

Cons

Team is international and can be difficult solving problems when team members are working opposite schedules.

Fuel Industries2018-07-30
  2. "Unity engineer"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people Cool projects Incredible artistic talent From a development standpoint lots of autonomy

Cons

Lack of direction , lots of ideas get shotgunned or pigeon holed into things. And it comes across that way in the end- product. Creative direction on a design and mechanical level needs to be more consistent , the projects are haphazardly developed and I feel like that comes across to your end users. Lack of marketing strength in the digital space, the formula for success can be boiled down to X eyeballs= X... profit. I never felt like our projects received the requisite number of eye balls for any financial success. It was disappointing to work on something you don't feel that any body would ever see. Art review can be ..rigid.

Advice to Management

Make sure to dedicate time to fleshing out an idea, cool ideas are great but gimmicks are not entertaining for long . Do a better job of letting employees know what's going on in the company, everyone was on a big project and it feels good to know the company is doing well . The first time i hear about a cool internal project shouldn't be in an e-mail thread dedicated to its launch.

Fuel Industries2015-08-26

"A creative, exciting, and challenging work experience."

I have been working at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Put simply, you'll not be bored at Fuel. Fuel consistently presents a lot of interesting opportunities, working for well-known brands and innovating in the digital space - playing with advancements in mobile and gaming technologies, augmented reality, gamification, etc. For a newcomer, one gets to add a lot of name-brand companies to their resume, and for more senior staff, it offers the challenge of helping these... brands move into new technological areas they may not have considered before. The staff culture is relaxed, which I personally enjoy - though it does favor outgoing personalities. Take the time to open up and get to know the members on your team, the execs and leads, and you'll discover find most people are very good at what they do, and willing to talk issues through. I find this very different from other places I've worked that are loaded with many passive-aggressions - most of the leads have an open-door policy (but you must make use of it!) Benefit package is generous with dental, eyewear, massages, etc - and there are regular free catered lunches, festive holiday parties, and beer Fridays.

Cons

Some age-old internal process issues, that have since become almost part of the heritage, can cause some inefficiencies, and sometimes, repeated work. For this, I dock a star in the rating - especially when you can see the same issues arising at the same points in the chain. I've also seen certain personality types clash with the internal culture - it's not always for everyone, but having worked in many companies... both for-profit and non-profit, I simply prefer the candid (sometimes brash) nature of Fuel versus the passive-aggression of many other office environments.

Advice to Management

Perhaps encourage leads take the time to reiterate the open door policies to more mild-mannered staff so the same old voices are not always the ones being heard. For senior staff, given the hiring process is very thorough for key positions, be welcoming of their expertise and new suggestions regarding process changes, and ensure these suggestions are implemented.

Fuel Industries2014-10-24

"Very Poor Management- No Prospects"

I have been working at Fuel Industries

Pros

Great office, nice coffee machine

Cons

Very poor leadership and no faith in management. Basically an old boys club that revolves around the CEO who left and went to Los Angeles Not a great place for career advancement and the pay is lousy. It's like they are doing you a favor by working there.

Advice to Management

Take a management course or resign!!

Fuel Industries2014-11-28

"Not what I expected..."

I worked at Fuel Industries

Pros

Open concept work environment, not a typical office environment. In that sense it was a cool place to work. The promise was a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management, lack of focus, draining. You can quickly feel unappreciated and it doesn't help that your manager is out to look good for himself sometimes at your expense. Overall, I have had better jobs. Not the fun environment it was promised to be. I was happy to leave.

Advice to Management

Manage your expectations better. Your employees will appreciate it.

Fuel Industries2014-10-11
  6. "Grind and not great."

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

-exciting topics, big name brands

Cons

-poor management, small business style

Fuel Industries2019-10-17
  7. "Terrible management but talented staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

This studio had lots of devoted and talented general staff members who had solid experience. The type of clients they had were all big brands.

Cons

All management, directors, and partners were ill-fitting, delusional and bullies. They were the ones who drove that place bankrupt.

Fuel Industries2019-08-01
  8. "Software developer"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time

Pros

dynamic team, creative atmosphere, good location

Cons

overtime is needed from time to time

Fuel Industries2019-03-14
  9. "Work hard play harder!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team, great parties, good salary

Cons

Lots of hours, hard to manage work / life

Advice to Management

Better project planning to reduce overtime required.

Fuel Industries2019-01-22
  10. "Another rebuttal for "Great while it lasted""

I have been working at Fuel Industries full-time

Pros

The company has gone through some ups and downs over the years and when the last version of the company ended it was during a major downward spiral. Our paycheques were often late and people were leaving or getting let go pretty much every week. Decisions made by senior management had crippled the business well before the bankruptcy and we never recovered. After the company reinvented itself or as the other... review mentioned, a restructure occurred and it "was a giant failure". Now if a giant failure means paycheques come on time, company moral is much better, employee retention is much higher, zero debt after a full year as pretty much a new company and the ability to attract a larger company and be acquired by that company, then please I would like to take part in more failed restructures. New vs Old - Overtime is no longer expected and often, it is rare - We are getting free lunches again - We have cleaners that clean the building not employees - Work life is much happier and better all around

Cons

- Parties are not as fun - Company is much smaller so less people to talk to - Current location has less food choices then our old location

Advice to Management

The company still has some work to do but management is now steering us on a path the seems more achievable and will more likely help our future growth. Hopefully the mistakes of the past will not be repeated.

Fuel Industries2018-10-18