Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Reviews | Glassdoor

Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Reviews

Updated October 26, 2016

3.2
Edward Leung

1. "Fun place, cool environment, GREAT coworkers!"

Former Employee - Waitstaff in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Waitstaff in Brookline, MA

I worked at Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice place for first time wait-staff experience. Very flexible with scheduling, and coworkers are some of the best people ever. Also the co-owners are REALLY kind and professional people.

Cons

Steep learning curve if you haven't had a lot of japanese food/sushi.

Advice to Management

as the other guy said, manager with anger issues is still there. He's still a problem. Disrupts work, and makes workers around him on edge. Needs to go.

2. "Staff"

I worked at Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine part-time

Pros

The tips are great the people are nice the place clean

Cons

There were some communication issues, there were some cultural issues as well

Advice to Management

Communicate

3. "Unfair and Bad Treatment towards coworkers"

Former Employee - Waitress in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Waitress in Boston, MA

I worked at Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get about a 15% discount as a waitress.

Cons

I felt the reason why I was treated so poorly in that work environment was because of my ethnicity; the restaurant was mostly run by chinese staffs, just cladded in kimonos. I was treated rudely and given dirty looks from my head supervisors. I tried to be on my best and polite towards the supervisors when i see them, but they always seem annoyed at me for no apparent reason. However, if you're a chinese waitress/waiter, then they would smile and talk to them. Segregated much? They would literally pick on everything I do too. They would watch me very closely on camera (which i was aware of due to a coworker giving me a heads up), and when I did one small mistake, i was being yelled at a LOT. But when the other chinese workers made mistakes, my supervisor would just gently tell them to not do it again. Mind you, I only worked here for a month, so they'd have no reason to yell at me so much for small minor mistakes (I was new, give me a break!). At first i thought they just resented me for no apparent reason, but the only other vietnamese girl and this american boy was having a hard time fitting in the restaurant without feeling overwhelmed or stressed by the supervisors and the other waitstaffs. One of them was even forced to tape a sign (handwritten by the supervisor herself ) to his apron that says "ID PLEASE" because he forgot to card a customer. Harsh and embarrassing much? Oh and they cut my schedule from 5 days to only 2 days a week.

Advice to Management

Learn not to be racist. Accept all people from different background and nationalities. You make us non-chinese feel like slaves miserable working there. You should have better discipline than embarrassing a waitstaff's ego by taping a childing ID PLEASE sign on their apron.

5. "great fine-dining serving experience, great place to learn on the job."

Former Employee - Bartender in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Brookline, MA

I worked at Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful restaurant. high quality food with high-quality service. great place to learn how to work in a high-end, fine-dining restaurant.

Cons

be expected to be thrown into your job without much instruction from managers. Other servers will be nice enough and help you, but they will also complain about you (as you are a new server and thus a nuisance).

Advice to Management

more communication needed in upper management. the manager with the anger management issue obviously needs to go.