KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Fuhu Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

Found 148 of over 176 reviews

2.2
Fuhu CEO  Jim Mitchell (no image)
Jim Mitchell
Pros
  • "Sizable raises, free snacks, catered lunch Tues/Thurs or Weds every week(in 21 reviews)

• "Catered lunches and free snacks(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They laid everyone off and long hours(in 32 reviews)

• "Communication wasn't very good from the upper management(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Hardest working Management

Jan 6, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some reviews on here by short timers or contractors who are bitter, are just because they don't have any perspective on how business actually works and they live in a bubble. The management here are the hardest working, most passionate and genuinely good people I have ever met. The CEO is the friendliest and most approachable guy I've seen where he'll stop and say hello and ask you how your day is when I bet he has a million things on his mind. THe culture values competency and dedication, not just hours put in.

Cons

The company's innovation and speed to market has always been its greatest core competency, but the obstacles have been operations in terms of inventory management.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

benefit

May 6, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

good environment to work, coworker are nice

Cons

salary blow the market, no free food

3. 1.0

what a mess

Mar 19, 2021 - Accounting Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

interesting product that work have ben cool for kids

Cons

President was an empty suit

4. 1.0

So much opportunity missed

Aug 13, 2020 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of people, tried to run like a startup

Cons

There were a lot of hard dedicated workers, but this company was undone by the CEO and President. They wanted yes-men and women and hearing a different perspective was not tolerated which is what lead to the downfall.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Grateful for the experience

Nov 20, 2014 - IT Specialist in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Understanding and gave me an opportunity most companies never would have. I had no prior experience and to be given the position that they had was really giving me the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore, they gave me plenty of chances, a decent salary, and treated me like family. I felt compelled to end on good terms and am very glad that I did. HR even followed up with me a couple weeks later to see how I was doing and I thought that was very considerate of them. All in all and despite the many horrible reviews, a job is a job. I'm just grateful I had one! I definitely do feel like I got spoiled during this job and am very worried that I'm gonna have a sudden realization at my next job about how I shouldn't have given up my position at Fuhu.

Cons

The work in particular wasn't stressful, but the workload definitely was. I had no doubt in mind that I wouldn't be up for the task nor fail at anything that was handed to me, but rather if I could deliver in a timely manner. I was fully aware of the long work hours and had a life where I had no work and was just bored out of my mind. Work had become a place to squelch my mind and to keep busy and I really am/was grateful. I'm just a little sad that it took so long to get the help I needed.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

FuHu Field Merchandiser

Aug 14, 2014 - Field Merchandser
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for this company for a little more than a year and so far it has been the best work experience I have had. I work as a Field Merchandiser which requires you to be self motivated and highly accountable. Since day one management has been available to me at a moments notice whenever I had any questions or concerns. The pay is very competitive, the hours are flexible and to be honest your everyday tasks are relatively easy. You are required to do a lot of driving but you are well compensated for it. You clock both in and out for the day at your home, which means that all of your driving goes towards your 8 hour day. You are provided with a work cell phone so you can keep in touch with your peers and management. They do use the cell phone to track your whereabouts via GPS but this is used to ensure that both the employee and company are protected. I personally like this feature because it allows me to validate that I am out in my territory and doing my job. Overall, I have worked in many other types if jobs and I must say that working for FuHu has provided me with the best quality of life and this is the first job that I have felt appreciated as an employee, not just another number.

Cons

-No PTO. However they made that very clear to me during the interview process so there were no surprises.

7. 1.0

Late paychecks

Apr 20, 2015 - Contractor in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a few smart people here you can learn from.

Cons

Paychecks have been late recently. At this point I'm not even sure if I'm going to get it. If you value getting paid on time don't work here. While the paychecks are late it doesn't seem they don't mind to indulge full-time employees in free lunches and otherwise wasteful spending while their contractors are left to dry. This is very much the type of company that will have a party one day and next day announce they are shutting down. Very shady practices here. Communication is awful and everyone is left in the dark to figure out what's going on. Even managers seem to be at a lost as to what is really going. There are a lot of under qualified managers here. The same people working in another company would not hold these same positions. For a company that makes kids products, much of the management are under qualified young post college grads who have no kids and work insane hours. Hard to believe they understand the needs of kids or parents when they themselves do not live typical parenting lifestyles. If you think this is going to be parent friendly working schedule you'll be very sorry here. There are great points as to them breaking labor laws and misusing 1099 contractors for example demanding they be onsite and at specific times on a regular schedule.

29 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0

Would not recommend

Feb 19, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and free coffee, which is considerate. There are a few really great, intelligent people at this company, but they're either silently miserable or else outcasts who eventually get fired.

Cons

I was motivated to post a review because I noticed there are a lot of obviously fake positive reviews on here. There are so many things I'd like to say, I'm honestly not sure where to begin. It's expected that you stay hours late each night, just for the sake of staying late--what makes this even more frustrating is how inefficient everyone is. No one--especially not management--knows how to prioritize and set realistic goals, so you end up working on superfluous things that make it impossible to complete meaningful long-term projects. You end up having to try to do everything, while ultimately making no progress. It's like an endlessly sinking ship that you'll be bailing water out of until 8 or 9 each night. The inefficiency also stems from a lack of communication between coworkers and departments. No one is ever on the same page. This might be because people are afraid to ask questions--and rightfully so. You could be fired for things like that. It's really weird. There are also some unsettling cult brainwashing tactics at work here. As a rule, just never be candid with anyone, or it will probably be used against you. I get that it's a start-up but, as others have pointed out, it's been a few years and Fuhu needs to adjust.

24 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid this joke of a company.

Jul 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free Costco snack, and nothing more. Once you've experienced working here, things could only get better.

Cons

Trying to be as unbiased as I can, but every negative comment is mostly, if not all true. Cult like management business style, all orchestrated by the president. Both President and CEO are very unpleasant people to work with, would swear and belittle the staff in front of everyone else, not to mention very manipulative in their words. President didn't even acknowledge me when I greeted him once outside the building. For my department, the company terminated a staff, so that the work can be delegated to rest of the team, hence the long/unreasonable hours. The person that was terminated was a good worker and didn't nothing wrong in my opinion to be terminated. If you questions their ways, you'll will be terminated, and their reason is "bad attitude". The pay is not reflected from the work and hours you put in. Questionable company performance in term of their profitability, and growth rate. Personally, I think Fuhu is very good at marketing themselves in looking like a great company. But, realistically, it's all a front in masking the truth. As an ex-staff, I've experimented with their product, and in all honesty, it's a very inferior product in a market that is already saturated and dominated by their competitors. I would personally pay double if not triple the price for a competing product. Even when i was still employed with the company, i didn't believe in the product, nor the company itself. Everything I've wrote could be substantiate from the past reviews from other people.

14 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fuhu As A Remote Employee

Mar 19, 2014 - "leitender Forschungsmanager Deutschland, Österreich und Benelux"
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great part about being remote is that your daily timeline can be flexible. As long as managers are kept updated changes can be made easily and not micromanaged. Due to travel time starting early is the best option which results in free afternoons, perfect for pickings kids up for school. While it is true Fuhu uses GPS to track remote employees, I see it as a benefit. I have worked with the company for a little under a year and consider this a safety feature and a plus for the position. The only time it would be seen as a negative is if you’re not doing the job required of you. This is also a great position to be out of office life while still having a team, including management, supporting you along the way. Finally, while travel time can be lengthy it is also figured into your average day and compensated accordingly. At no time will you be asked to spend personal funds without being quickly reimbursed the following pay period.

Cons

No paid time off. While this is a con it is clearly stated before one decides to take the position. Optional weekend work. It also results in a free day off the following week to compensate the change. A pro and a con.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 148 Reviews