KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Mattel
Is this your company?

Fuhu

Add a Review

Fuhu Employee Reviews about "fuhu"

Updated Feb 27, 2016

Found 41 of over 178 reviews

2.1
Fuhu CEO  Jim Mitchell (no image)
Jim Mitchell
Pros
  • "I have been a full-time employee at Fuhu for almost a year(in 19 reviews)

• "They also reimbursed for mileage(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "One of the many incompetent managers working at Fuhu trying to move up in an already failing business(in 25 reviews)

• "There were a lot of hard dedicated workers, but this company was undone by the CEO and President(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Current Employee

Rewarding experience

Jun 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been a full-time employee at Fuhu for almost a year. Working here has been exciting, rewarding, and overall a good experience. I enjoy going to work each day and I appreciate the people here. The environment is energetic and collaborative. The people are hard-working, smart, passionate, and they care about making a positive difference. I feel proud to be part of a dedicated group of people who believe in and contribute to innovative products and solutions. In under a year I’ve learned more at Fuhu than during multiple years at other jobs. Every day is challenging and engaging. You're encouraged to continually learn and you are given the opportunity to take ownership of projects and make a difference in the organization. The emphasis on mentoring and professional development is invaluable. In my experience, there’s huge potential for growth here.

Cons

The company has been growing fast, so sometimes structures or processes aren’t established or agreed upon when you expect them to be.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I did not have a good experience

Feb 27, 2016 - Graphic Designer in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I got hired, I was so excited to be a part of the Fuhu team. It was a cool office and the employees seemed really dedicated to their job and the company's mission statement. There was free food, group lunches, and team building events like rock climbing and Vegas trips.

Cons

The long hours were stifling. I would come in to work not knowing exactly when I'd leave that night. Projects were given with no clear direction. I received some mind numbing assignments that were repetitive and not challenging. Eventually I left because I couldn't hang with the way I was being treated. On another note, it's a little disheartening to read replies to the honest negative reviews. Negative or not, the people writing reviews here have the right to express their opinions. People should be treated with respect and if Fuhu did a poor job in that, those issues should be brought up without the threat of being judged.

20 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

"Hardest working management" HA! What a tool.

Feb 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers. Without them, I would've ditched the place years ago. No amount of free snack would've gotten me to stay for so long.

Cons

Whoever wrote that gem must be... 1. One of the many incompetent managers working at Fuhu trying to move up in an already failing business. 2. Brainwashed. I guess this falls in with number 1. Seriously? It's not them but just bitter ex-employees? That "review" tells you what kind of company Fuhu is. They are oblivious to their own mistakes and like to throw employees under the bus. It is never their fault. What a joke this place has become.

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee

So long!

Jan 6, 2016 - Call Center in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

We watched Zoolander one time...that was fun because I actually like some of the people there and the TV was touch screen

Cons

I'm not at all surprised to see fuhu/nabi going bankrupt. Good riddance to a company that looked down on regular people and treated people like modern day slaves. I knew this company wouldn't last just like the battery life on those cheap tablets. That is all...peace

9 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Karma was fair to this Company

Jan 6, 2016 - Animator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can't say anything was really a pro but maybe the exception of one or two projects that I worked on was either on a TV commerical or was seen on the tablet. I can say I was proud of it, but not the environment i had to work with.

Cons

Speaking of environments, this company was close to a modern tech slave labor camp. You're treated like trash. It was the first time in my life I saw the talent i possessed to be a burden as time went by working for Fuhu. Management was not encouraging at all and they mentally try to break you down to size. The hours of work was so bad that you didn't have a life. I didn't even bother to make new friends with the co workers there. I knew if I did I would never see them the next week (because of high turnover rates) or I would be scolded for talking in the office. Besides... they made us look upon each other a certain way since they divided the company by freelancers vs full time employees (Which by the way, they were treated much better...well at least better than freelancers). Leaving that company was needed to enjoy life again. As much as I hated working there.. there was a fear that some would say "the fear of being unemployed" so like me, some stayed for a check and took the verbal and mental abuse. I've witnessed employees who either cried or got very angry about how they were treated as I worked there...I heard every story. Soon my time came and It was almost a burden was lifted off of me when they let me go. I recently gotten a letter from Fuhu and heard they went bankrupt and possible also been sold to Mattell. It's unfortunate that a man's dream comes crashing down and has to file for bankruptcy. I always say that If you treat people right, people will speak highly of you and will help bring great things your way. In this case... years of torment and shame from employees build up way too much that inevitably, it was a matter of time you'll meet your fate. Im not so sure how they ended up bankrupt.. but my thought still stands... what goes around..comes around. Its been a while since I was let go of the company, but I felt that now is the right time to express my feelings about them. Hundreds already explained the horrific experiences they all had with Fuhu. I've gave you my summerized experience from what I and others have already faced.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee

laid off

Oct 22, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was exciting to be part of such a growing company. They have some amazing ideas. I really liked everyone I met that was with Fuhu

Cons

They try hard, but occasionally it was impossible to do the updates I was supposed to do.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Step-Stone

Oct 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in South Gate, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is great about taking entry level employees and giving them an opportunity to learn on the fly and make what they want of their experience at Fuhu. People that want to learn new skills and challenge themselves will do well here.

Cons

They will often add more responsibilities to your role but no additional income is even brought up.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Dehumanizing nightmare

Sep 15, 2015 - Creative in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free Costco snacks. - Cool office. - Some nice people. - You learn what you don't want in an employer

Cons

I've worked for over 10 years at small companies, mid-size corporations, and global brands. I've never had a worse experience than at Fuhu. - Hostile environment: Upper management, from the CEO on down, berates and belittles employees. They will literally scream at you. - Poor management: You will be micromanaged. You will be thrown under the bus. You will be constantly asked to provide negative information about coworkers. Crazy deadlines will pop up and disappear. It's like they read books about good management, then proceeded to do the opposite of everything in those books. - Dictatorship: in the President's own words, this is a "democratic dictatorship." That means that everything down to the smallest detail has to be approved by him. This causes a huge bottleneck at the top that strains everyone else's schedule. - Long, long hours: You are expected to stay past normal working hours, even if you've finished your tasks for the day. - Misleading information: You're told that PTO is "unlimited." That comes with a huge caveat that your PTO has to be approved. The 6 months I was there, NOBODY's PTO got approved. If you try to take time off, you'll be pulled aside and told your not a fit for the company. The reason for this? PTO has monetary value that accrues the more you earn. If you leave the company, by law you have to be paid out for the PTO you've earned. Fuhu saves dollars by making sure nobody has PTO to be paid out. - Extremely high turnover: People are there one day, gone the next. Ad infinitum. Everyone there besides upper management are fearful for their jobs. - No culture: That might be wrong. There is a culture of fear. If you talk to the person sitting next to you, you're shushed by a manager. Eating lunch at your desk and reading a CNN article on your break? You'll be harshly reprimanded. Everybody's too scared of being fired to do anything about it. - Low pay: No amount of money is worth the stress and humiliation you'll endure. But the fact that the salaries are so low makes everything worse. Adverse affects: Admittedly this is a personal opinion. I can honestly say that my experience was so miserable that it bled over into my life outside of work. I'd come home stressed and on edge every day. I had no time for a personal life, and all I could think about was how I could try and please my bosses so I wouldn't get in trouble. To this day, I look back at my time at Fuhu and I'm ashamed that I put up with so much. Never again will I allow myself to be mistreated so badly by any employer. So thanks for making me stronger, Fuhu.

31 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee

Pride before the fall

Sep 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- snacks - catering - some nice people

Cons

Pride before the fall. Everyone has an abundance of pride at this company. Now the "fall" comes. Many employees have quit and been let go this year. It is a clear sign the company is in trouble. Of course that is due mainly to how horrible people are treated here. Upper management is trapped in their own delusions of grandiose. While many workers are being squeezed dried for products that are essentially over priced mediocre toys. These "managers" are big fish in a little pond. Once the company closes, they will be small fish in a big pond; forced to find a position that actually suits their extremely poor management skills. This company is not worth working for. Not only is the company in serious trouble, but there are eyes and ears every where waiting to spew forth their own 10 commandments on those they consider "unworthy" of the Fuhu greatness. There is no redeeming qualities here. This is why it has a plethora of bad reviews on this site. The only good reviews are fake.

13 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

No one is happy here

Sep 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

If the unhealthy snacks in the kitchen that is making most of the employees at Fuhu gain weight is Pros, then yes that just might be the only Pros you will see at this company.

Cons

All the positive reviews that you see on here are anonymously written by the so called stakeholders which doesn't mean anything because this company is seriously going down hill. Here is the truth. Many managers and partners who were supposed to be keeping the company going have recently left the company because of the empty promises that were given to them so that they can work 80+ hrs a day without any compensation. Employees are terminated left and right for the most ridiculous reasons. It is too stressful to work in this kind of an environment. Sounds great at first when you are hired, but as you get to know the people that's been working there you start to realize how miserable they are and how horrible the company is.

13 people found this review helpful