Fulcrum Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Fulcrum Capital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about an uncommon area of investing, very friendly and casual atmosphere, hours are flexible based on your schedule as long as you complete the minimum

Cons

Work is repetitive, you can reach out to upper level management to talk to them, but other than that you don't have much contact with them, there is a quite a bit of administrative work.

Advice to Management

Teach more to the interns about the actual financial thought process

"Great start to my career!"

Former Employee - Junior Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Fulcrum Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Fulcrum right after finishing my undergraduate degree in Finance from the University of Texas at
    Austin in 2009. Prior to joining full-time, I also had the opportunity to intern with them for a year.
    Working with a growing firm, such as Fulcrum, provided me with many opportunities which I would
    usually not be exposed to if I worked in a bigger firm. I was able to interact with the Principals and Head
    Traders on a daily basis which taught me a lot about the distressed debt industry. I also learned a great
    deal about the bankruptcy process, debt structures of various companies, and the various intricacies of
    initiating and closing trades. Fulcrum would be an ideal incubator for someone interested in trading
    distressed debt or learning bankruptcy law.

Working in a trading environment implied that the hours were predictable which provided me with a
    good work-life balance. The work culture at Fulcrum is laid back with very friendly and smart colleagues
    from various facets of the finance and legal industry. During my tenure, Fulcrum assisted me in
    continuing my education by sponsoring my CFA exams. The firm also promotes diversity and equal
    opportunity as they assisted me in obtaining my work permit to work in the US.

Cons

Given that Fulcrum is a boutique firm the opportunities for advancement or more limited than bigger firms.

Advice to Management

Keep creating a solid culture and interesting work.

"Small Firm in Rare Space"

Current Employee - ADMINISTRATION/OPERATIONS in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ADMINISTRATION/OPERATIONS in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fulcrum Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is good and there is a great sense of work-life balance, especially for a trade desk. Being a small firm, there are ample opportunities to take on significant responsibility and make an impact. Furthermore, the desk runs as a team. Everyone is critical to the firm's success and therefore everyone is encouraging and wants to see you succeed. The space, distressed financial obligations, is interesting and something that not many have the chance to encounter in their career.

Cons

​While there are positives with being a small firm so too are there negatives. ​1) When key personnel is out it can be difficult to maintain momentum on trades. 2) Career advancement is not as clear cut as it would be in a large firm and advancement opportunities are limited. [Note: The company is copacetic to creating positions/opportunities if it is a fit for both parties, it just takes more initiative from the employee and is the exception, not the standard.] 3) There is a lack of diversity that a larger firm might have.

4. "Sales Trade Desk Intern"

Pros

Great building and people to work with

Cons

They are a small boutique firm and you won't be learning as much as you think and its unpaid

Advice to Management

Be more involved in the intern program

"Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Fulcrum Capital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was nice and friendly and you are also exposed to niche sector of the financial services industry

Cons

The work was redundant and I didn't learn any applicable or technical knowledge while being there, as I was hoping I would

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities for interns to learn financial knowledge and skills

"Just an intern"

Pros

Not a lot of pros to consider for the company, the office location and space was very nice. People were very nice, but I didn't have much of an opportunity to interact with them.

Cons

I was only there for a couple of months seeing that I was just an intern. I didn't learn much from this company besides learn how to entire data into their outdated CRM database. The most I learned was probably doing my initial company research and learning about their business. I found the business interesting and decided to work for them. Interns do not get paid at this firm. The work was very boring. I had a hard time staying awake at my desk.

Advice to Management

Interns are there to learn the business and interact with individuals who make an impact to the company. The exhausting and tedious work without pay was a little painful

"Intense, but rewarding financially"

Current Employee - Senior Sales & Trading
    Current Employee - Senior Sales & Trading

I have been working at Fulcrum Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A position at Fulcrum Capital requires a mental hustle that’s unique to the business world. It’s a boutique which means that sub performers can’t hide. It becomes obvious if you’re not carrying your weight and everyone from the owners to the most junior people either carry their weight or leave. In return, people are rewarded financially and get to work for a true team where people rely on each other to make money.

You work in a trading environment which means that things go from relaxed to very tense and back to relaxed multiple times a week. The firm is made up of smart people that worked on Wall Street but you won’t see people bragging about their Ivy league education or past accomplishments.

People are paid for performance and you’re not measured by hours you work or the clothes you wear. Most people are in the door by 7:30 am and out the door by 5pm each night.

Cons

Mistakes are accepted but laziness is not. Overly sensitive people won’t last. Low to average performers will do better in corporate America where they can hide behind the people that really do the work.

"Disappointing experience from the start"

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Fulcrum Capital full-time

Pros

There is a good work life balance
    The job is easy but not very mentally challenging

Cons

The job might as well be a sales job in a call centre as the amount of calls is a KPI
    There is a clock watching culture and no transparency. The partners have no ethics For instance they go through employees' personal emails, they are abusive towards employees and deceive to both employees and clients

Advice to Management

Stop posing as a hedge fund as Fulcrum is just a small time brokerage
    Be honest and treat staff with some dignity so that you can have some credibility in the market