Fulcrum IT Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "In Growing Stage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Fulcrum IT (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent team environment and leadership

Cons

Narrow skill set but expanding

"Decent Middling Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I worked at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, decent salaries, good job stability

Cons

Project managers tend to be hired for technical skills rather than managerial skills, so there is lots of reactive managing of teams and projects.

Advice to Management

Be more discriminating in your hiring practices, especially for management positions.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Independent Recruiter in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Recruiter in Manassas, VA

I worked at Fulcrum IT (More than a year)

Pros

Actually it was in 2007 - (years listed did not go back that far) Out of all the companies that I have provided support for - this company took first place with me. Great flexibility in terms of core hours, great staff - worked as an Independent Contractor and would love to eventually come back. I've actually been called back to work as a contractor for this company twice and both times it was great

Cons

the location was just okay, but now they have moved to a better location and its also on the bus route for those who are taking the metro.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!!!

"Corporate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Pros

The corporate office is in a great location.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Hire Senior Managers that want to grow the business.

"Better than most"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centreville, VA

I worked at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good (albeit somewhat expensive) benefits, I worked on a customer site and was largely left alone by everyone at corporate, but I knew if I needed them, they were there!

Cons

Difficult to find other opportunities if your contract ends and they don't have an open position that supports your salary at that point in time.

Advice to Management

Quarterly all-hands meetings give all employees access to important company information, but this information can sometimes be misinterpreted by less savvy employees.

6. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a great Training program. Has a very well balanced portfolio of continued work for the next several years.

Cons

They need to create a Telecommute Policy to stay current with other competing government contractors who offer this benefit.

"Sr. Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centreville, VA

I have been working at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked as a software developer at several companies and I like Fulcrum the best. I’ve been given the opportunity to lead a small project and although there are limitation I feel that I can do what I want to help the project succeed.

Cons

It’s difficult to work from home as it is not supported, but we here corporate is working on providing that as an option.

Advice to Management

Always give your employees opportunities such as mine, it help us feel empowered to lead a project to its success.

"This company has a long way to go"

Current Employee - Developer in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Centreville, VA

I have been working at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's almost a given, if you threaten to quit you'll get a raise! Then once you get that raise you'll get all sorts of special assignments middle management doesn't feel like doing. Your peers are what make this company tolerable to work with. The guys in the trenches you work with side by side every day. You want to do well for them. Salary is decent.

Cons

Middle management is lazy and inexperienced, acts superior in a demeaning way to the employees they work for, and would throw them under the bus in a second to save themselves. Senior management either doesn't care about this or doesn't know. Either way it's bad for the employee.

If employees try to voice an opinion or speak up then middle management will say and I quote, "You guys are a bunch of babies.." or "Awww, poor you!".

Moral is the lowest it’s ever been and most people I work with are actively looking for other opportunities.

Fulcrum has had a retention problem for over a year now with no signs of getting better. The experience and knowledge of the workforce used to be what set Fulcrum apart from just another IT company. Key SME's have gotten fed up and left because they don't like the direction current leadership is going. Management has decided that instead of trying to retain these people they'd rather act like they don't exist, bad mouth them once they leave, and fill those spots with warm bodies that don't have the same experience level.

Advice to Management

Employees are not tissues you can wipe your nose on and then throw away. You're losing people because you don't know how to hire for retention. You will stop losing good employees once you understand how to manage people.

It's the 21st century. Give employees 21st century perks. Calories and smudged printouts of the first certificate you can find with a Google image search only goes so far. A work from home policy, ownership in the company, spot bonuses (because you'd be surprised how many employees know what management is pulling down in bonuses every year) are just a few things that would go a long way in boosting moral.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at Fulcrum IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even though it's growing, Fulcrum IT still has a small company feel to it. Their events are fun to attend.

Cons

Morale is at a low ebb. While it used to feel like upper and middle management really cared about their employees, that feeling has evaporated. Churn is up, with a few of the recent departures consisting of firings and unfriendly parting of ways. Middle management seems content to throw money at new people coming in the door instead of retaining their current people. The result is a considerable loss of institutional knowledge. They're practically hemorrhaging that knowledge now. For an IT company, they have the worst telecommunication policies I have ever seen. Working remotely is actively discouraged even though the bulk of employees' work could happen from home, on the road, or anywhere.

Advice to Management

Put the focus back on employees. The focus seems to be solely on winning new contracts, which is great for growing the company, but not at the cost of the employees. The toadies in middle management are driving away great employees with no apparent care about the outcome.

"Hungry Company"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Fulcrum IT (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly well managed company but with a butts-in-seat attitude. As long as your contract is making money, you are golden, but that's true everywhere.

Cons

Drone-like atmosphere in headquarters office. Benefits could be improved. There is a waiting period in order to qualify for the company 401(k) match. You have to remain through Dec. 31 to be eligible for a match early in the next year for the prior year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work growing. Claiming healthcare expertise is a bit of a joke.