Fuller Theological Seminary Reviews | Glassdoor

Fuller Theological Seminary Reviews

Updated Nov 20, 2019

3.8
Fuller Theological Seminary President Mark A. Labberton (no image)
Mark A. Labberton
  1. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Fuller Theological Seminary part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping in others brings harmony

Cons

Rude customers will always be around

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-11-21
  2. "Meaningful Work"

Former Employee - Web and Analytics Coordinator

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary full-time

Pros

I loved working with the people at Fuller and supporting the mission of such a great school.

Cons

Tuition assistance program could have been stronger. It's also a nonprofit so pay is lower than working at a for profit.

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-11-12

"In Crisis..."

Former Employee - Middle Management in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work pace is largely leisurely. A lot of nice people with good intentions work there.

Cons

The overall ethos and mood there has been negative for quite some time. This is a result of multiple rounds of lay-offs of entry-level and middle management positions, while hiring senior-level positions. Senior leadership have been struggling to effectively lead through what is a significant time of change for the institution. It looks as if they are trying to change the core of what they offer and what they are offering does not look too promising. Generally, there is little to no investment in the professional development of employees.

Advice to Management

There is an exploitation of the "protestant work ethic" that needs to stop. Staff at your institution are finding it increasingly difficult to buy into a vision when they know that their position may be sacrificed to meet a fiscal bottom line. The message with the lay offs is it matters more to keep the business afloat over the care for mid and lower level employees. As a business, that makes sense. As a institution that purports a "Christian" mission, the business decisions make the Christian mission ring hollow.

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-06-12

"Lacking"

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-President's rhetoric makes you feel important, and included....

Cons

..... until you think about what he said, and that he actually said very little. And that the little he does say doesn't really impact the operation, the vision, the practices, or the existence of the seminary. -There is seemingly zero accountability for the top heavy administration. -Fuller was in my day, I imagine still is, fiscally irresponsible, and those in charge of the finances did very little to curb rampant spending or sticking to a budget. -Fuller demonstrated very little loyalty to employees. They regularly laid off a number of low-level employees (due to Fuller's fiscal irresponsibility), and would then hire Directors and Vice Presidents, and make brand new departments which talked about their vision, but did nothing to address the issues of systemic racism, and of gender discrimination. While certain operations (the office devoted to printing things) should have been phased out, there should have been more integration of these staff into existing departments as much as possible. -The regular re-organizations are ridiculous. I think almost every year I was there, some new department swallowed up another department, or someone new was put in charge, only to have things change a year later. -Systemic racism was borderline overt the entire time I was there. After an event where a Fuller student ran a vehicle through a Black Lives Matter protest, this became overtly so. The student faced little actual consequences, and those whom he threatened both by the vehicular incident and later in class were simply told to look beyond it, and try to forgive (a bit of a paraphrase). -The president talked big vision, and responsibility, while continuing to enroll students in already over-saturated market, screwing over students who now have increasingly large debts, in a dying field because Fuller has less than stringent enrollment standards, and has very little place to graduate students into a workforce. -I have heard numerous things from staff and friends on campus about the mishandling of a number of situations which I ought not bring to light here.

Advice to Management

Get some accountability, and self-awareness. I want my degree to matter, and I don't my resume to have a workplace that no longer exists.

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-05-02

"Great Workplace, Changing Locations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Fuller Theological Seminary full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Benefits: I think its great. Fuller makes it easier to afford healthcare and dental care. 2. Environment: I haven't met anyone I dislike! I really enjoy the Christian atmosphere and the access to the library's resources. 3. Work-Life Balance: Best perk for me. I hardly have to do OT and I can go home right as I finish up my 8-hour shift.

Cons

1. Moving Soon: Fuller is moving to Pomona, so anyone hoping to stay in Pasadena would find this disheartening. 2. Lower Pay than Industry Average: I personally think Fuller makes up for this by its benefits packages, but I understand that some people just want higher wages. 3. Restructuring: Fuller is currently restructuring as it prepares for its move to Pomona.

Advice to Management

More and more communication between senior management and regular employees is always encouraged. I personally love working here and I hope to see Fuller continue to grow and make a positive impact in its community.

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-04-01

"Not what it used to be..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mission; some good people still left

Cons

The past six years under the current president has been an unmitigated disaster in terms of organizational culture and brain drain. President runs the seminary like a senior pastor of a mega-church with no accountability. Is great at rhetoric, coming up with shiny new ideas/vision, and good soundbite; is horrible at following through and takes ZERO responsibility for poor decisions made. Nepotism is rampant, with president brining in people he likes regardless of their competency. Launches the key initiative of his presidency by hiring four presbyterian pastors with no higher-ed background into senior leader positions. Few years later, half of them have left and the other two are in different positions. Yet, no accountability. Meanwhile, lower level staff with low wages are laid off constantly. For past 4-5 years running, constant layoffs and budget cuts, promising publicly to reign in spending and change the way Fuller operates; meanwhile spending expands by $8 million. Yet NO ACCOUNTABILITY. The HR is biased and the organization is retaliatory. Don't believe me? Just go and talk to some folks who have been working there for a while.

Advice to Management

New president, new vision, new senior leadership is desperately needed. Most importantly, we need a board that's willing to do hold president accountable instead of being just a cheerleader squad.

Fuller Theological Seminary2019-02-20
  7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Circulation Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, caring management, and a relaxed work environment.

Cons

High turnover as institution struggles financially.

Fuller Theological Seminary2018-11-06
  8. "Supportive"

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary part-time

Pros

I felt very supported as a student worker

Cons

Pay not comparable to other institutions

Fuller Theological Seminary2018-08-01
  9. "Wonderful People"

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary full-time

Pros

Work-life balance and supportive colleagues

Cons

Salary with few opportunities for advancement

Fuller Theological Seminary2018-07-09
  10. "Nice place to work."

I worked at Fuller Theological Seminary

Pros

Very friendly and compassionate environment.

Cons

Leadership needs to overhaul their strategy.

Fuller Theological Seminary2018-04-05