Fund for the Public Interest Field Canvasser Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 28 reviews

Ed Johnson

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

You really felt like you were making a difference.

Cons

Hills are very difficult when you're going as fast as you can for 5 hours every day.

Fund for the Public Interest2019-02-06
  2. "Everyone should have this experience, takes a certain kind of person to make it for more than 3 months"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of learning, interesting people to work with - after work hangouts, team atmosphere, good causes, personal growth opportunity and opportunity for advancement, lots of exercise, etc

Cons

Difficult emotionally (at least for me), exhausting. As long as you don't negatively spiral, you can do this and make good money forever. I met some life-long canvassers, so it's possible. This is flawed but important work. Give it your best shot!

Advice to Management

Remember to care about the health of your employee's as much as the cause. Maybe you can squeeze two more days of fundraising out of them, or maybe you should just wish them well. I know it's hard for you to manage all the people you do. Best of luck!

Fund for the Public Interest2019-05-14

"The whole Thing Felt like a scam"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with people who are passionate about important issues. They will hire literally anyone.

Cons

Overwhelming pressure to meet quota. No job stability. They can let you go after just 2 weeks of not meeting quota. Encouraged by directors to mislead the public in an effort to get them to donate money to a cause.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Treat people like people.

Fund for the Public Interest2019-01-23

"Be careful!!!"

Former Employee - Field Canvasser

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Make new friends -Free pizza Wednesday -Support great causes

Cons

-Constant rejection sometimes receiving no money at all in the 5 hours of canvassing -Long work schedule, expect to have no life outside the office. You will work 11am-10:45pm most days. -You will not feel respected as an individual doing such a demanding job. -No job security

Advice to Management

Get organized. Stop treating canvassers like they are disposable. Listen and be open to feedback from those who work for you.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-09-10

"Field Canvasser - Environment Washington & WashPIRG"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potential for good pay with commissions Really fun and interesting mix of coworkers Bosses were cool, approachable, extremely hardworking, and passionate about the issues Tons of opportunity for advancement, if you are interested in this kind of work

Cons

Door-to-door canvassing is a tough job physically and mentally. You have to be able to deal with rejection all day, and pounding the pavement for 7 hours is exhausting. The hardest part for me was the every day stress of making your quota.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work, these issues are really important.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-03-16

"Field Manager/ Canvasser"

Current Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest for more than a year

Pros

Fun team environment and flexible hours.

Cons

They don’t pay you what you are worth. They say you can make $500-$600 in a week and realistically that’s what you make on two weeks paychecks, without taxes taken off. I am a marketing and sales superstar, and always exceeded weekly goals with this job. However; the pay was so low that I was homeless. Half of the team was homeless. I had to commute from the mountains to work everyday.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-02-05

"I was a street canvasser. In short, I asked strangers for monthly donations to benefit an environmental non-profit"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved getting to work outside and meet new people everyday. My co workers became some of my best friends. I got very good at talking to donors and the bonuses started to pay out more then my hourly wage. I loved exploring a new part of NYC everyday bc I was usually sent to a new neighborhood everyday. Getting to work for a cause I genuinely believed in was a reward in itself. The leadership treated me very well and...

Cons

I would not suggest becoming a canvasser unless you are very outgoing. It can be very taxing to be trying to engage strangers all day when you are generally ignored by all of them. The pressure from the quota can be a lot. If you work this job for three weeks you will know for sure if it's for you or not. I would give it an honest shot and see if it's for you though.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that they put less pressure on new canvassers to meet their quotas.

Fund for the Public Interest2017-05-29

"the worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Field Canvasser in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest part-time for less than a year

Pros

very diverse set of coworkers. I was campaigning for a cause that I truly believed in (HRC).

Cons

TERRIBLE experience, absolutely no job security. their hiring practices are shady, when they offer you a job they say they're going to hire you on as management "in training" because they think you have a lot of potential to lure you in. then you get dumped in with the rest of the newbies and inevitably only last 2-3 weeks. during my three weeks there I saw turnover of 80-85% of my coworkers. it's a truly desperate position...

Advice to Management

invest in your employees. better training and more lenient quotas would result in MUCH less turnover and thus higher quality employees in the long run.

Fund for the Public Interest2017-01-11

"Good cause but it can be a drain on mental health"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are obvious, you are working to ensure a better and more equal future for everyone regardless of identity.

Cons

The biggest con is the lack of mental health support. Every day you go out and you canvass however often times people ignore you. Rather than offering support the directors just tell you to power through being ignored for 5 hours a day while stressing out because your job is on the line.

Advice to Management

Be there for people

Fund for the Public Interest2016-11-04

"This is best looked at as a resume builder, summer job"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic good-hearted people work with everyday. Great opportunity to build resume and develop skills while canvassing. If you get good at what you do and apply the skills the directors teach you, you will make a good amount of money for a college student and have access to leadership opportunities.

Cons

This is not for everyone. You will work long hours and will talk to many strangers a day who are sometimes rude.

Advice to Management

Keep the optimism high in the employees. Emphasize how the potential is greater

Fund for the Public Interest2016-10-26