Fund for the Public Interest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ed Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of responsibility given right away (in 18 reviews)

• You're making a difference in this world by educating the public about issues they might not be aware about (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Grit is necessary, must be able to go door to door (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours but you are working with people who become your close friends so while the hours might be long you're working with a great bunch of people (in 44 reviews)

1. "Canvass Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great training and staff development. If you want to gain a bunch of skills and move up quickly while also making a big impact on saving the planet, this is a good place to start.

Cons

The job is tough and isn't for everyone - long hours, pay is low (good benefits though!)

2. "Good for Mentally Strong"

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

Teaches a lot of interpersonal skills and personal management skills, if you're good with reading people, you'll do well.

Cons

Grit is necessary, must be able to go door to door.

3. "Canvasser"

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

nice and enthusiastic co-workers, looks great on resume.

Cons

Long hours, low pay.
    No transparency with the employees.
    Unrealiable
    Pay you less than advertised

"Easily the worst job I have ever held"

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dont care about substance use on job

Cons

Just about everything including the pro

Advice to Management

Hiring staff is incredibly deceiving. They promise hands on "political" work when in reality regardless of your title you spend 5 hours a day outside in extreme weather interrupting people's dinner begging for money that rarely goes to where they think it will. Upper management is incredibly disorganized, passive aggressive, and seemingly unqualified to manage anything. The pay still left me on food stamps and a co worker of mine withdrawing his account every month. When I was hired I disclosed a few reasonable health restrictions that involved not being able to lift over 50 pounds or walking more than 5 consecutive miles often. I was promised this would be no problem. During my time there I carried at least 75 pounds worth of equipment into the field where I walked somewhere between 8-12 miles 4/5 days a week. My hours were typically 9am-10pm weekdays and 8am-3pm Saturday. You have to spend your own money on office supplies and transportation and are told you will receive a reimbursement later. When I was fired (for being unable to consistently raise quota) I was promised my reimbursement check would be sent to me in a timely manner. It is five months later, I have not received the check, the staff has completely stopped responding to me and when they did they quoted me a check that was $30 short of what it was supposed to be. This organization preys on recent graduates they know are excited about politics and use them until they are physically and emotionally worn down. I am embarrassed to have ever worked here and couldnt be happier to have moved on. If you are interested in politics, trust me, there are few (if any) political events in this company and you are not making the impact the company says you are. Its a job for physically strong, intellectually unimpressive people.

"Underpaid, overworked"

Former Employee - Canvass Director
    Former Employee - Canvass Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get to work on important issues, but to be clear you can do this elsewhere without working for unfair pay.

Cons

TPIN & the Fund take advantage of recent grads and young people who have a passion for advocacy. Expect unfair pay, no overtime, low salaries, revolving door, little HR process or accessibility, shared beds and rooms at company trainings, sexual harassment issues, hostile work environment, lack of diversity, lgbt staffers are mistreated despite the fact that they raise money for lgbt causes. They will make it seem as though this is a path into activism and advocacy work, but teach low-level , fundraising-only organizing skills without any professional development.

Advice to Management

Pay overtime, raise salaries, do diversity training, give staff access to RDs or HR to report things if directors allow hostile work environments.

6. "Canvasser"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

Cool people to work with, commission if you were good at your job, decent training in a pretty useful life skill

Cons

Some concerns about safety, having to meet quotas, very strict schedule, long days with some mundane subject matter, largely about numbers

Advice to Management

get people to care before getting them to sell, find some incentive outside of meeting numbers goals

"Don't work here"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

It's an easy way to make at least some money, as long as you don't mind being manipulated and exploited

Cons

First of all, the hiring practices here are extremely suspect. When I was hired, I was lied to about both my title and responsibilities, and it was only when I arrived on my first day that I realized that what I had been hired to do was to essentially go door-to-door begging strangers for my paycheck for eight hours, only to be fired if I didn't reach a certain quota. Also, the first four hours of "training" are unpaid. The company culture is also very cult-like - there's a lot of pressure to come in early to volunteer, despite the fact that the schedule is already very demanding, and to participate in after-work socials that often last very late. I literally don't understand why anyone works here. I promise, even if you are a student and/or don't have much money, you can get a basic retail or receptionist job just as easily with a much healthier work culture.

Advice to Management

Be more up-front about what you are asking of people, and be more sympathetic to the fact that people actually have lives outside of this job.

"Field Canvasser - Environment Washington & WashPIRG"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for good pay with commissions
    Really fun and interesting mix of coworkers
    Bosses were cool, approachable, extremely hardworking, and passionate about
    the issues
    Tons of opportunity for advancement, if you are interested in this kind of work

Cons

Door-to-door canvassing is a tough job physically and mentally. You have to be able to deal with rejection all day, and pounding the pavement for 7 hours is exhausting. The hardest part for me was the every day stress of making your quota.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work, these issues are really important.

"No better way to improve grassroots organizing and communication skills"

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn an immense amount of skills, make friends and connections across the country, make tangible impact on real world issues, build resume with nonprofit experience, canvassers and field managers who canvass well can earn quite good money

Cons

Depending on position the hours can be quite intense and being rejected over and over can be disheartening. This job is not for everyone, but if it’s a good fit and you give your all it is definitely worth it.

Advice to Management

Emphasize to directors and other campaign staff that staying healthy and taking care of yourself is more important than hitting goals. People who don’t sleep or eat well don’t make as much social change.

10. "Hard Job but Super Fulfilling"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable leadership skills, fundraising skills, and wonderful work environment.

Cons

Nonprofit work is hard with long hours but they are upfront about this at the beginning.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!