KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Fund for the Public Interest Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2021

Found 489 of over 506 reviews

2.7
Fund for the Public Interest Citizen Outreach Director  Ed Johnson (no image)
Ed Johnson
Pros
  • "You get to work with like minded people who really care about the issues you're canvassing for(in 70 reviews)

• "Good cause and nice people to work with(in 39 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Canvassing is perhaps the worst job you can do(in 137 reviews)

• "low pay, long hours, frustrating management structure(in 58 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A lot of work but very rewarding if you are passionate and have strong communication skills

Apr 4, 2020 - Field Manager in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commission after you meet fundraising quota, development of communication skills, knocking on doors so you're outside, learning to stay positive through lots of rejection

Cons

Very difficult to get time off, work 55 hours a week (overtime is expected), high turn-over due to difficulty of fundraising door-to-door

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brutal, but good for a college kid on break, with no other obligations

Jul 27, 2021 - Field Canvasser in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

team camaraderie, great friendships, and really great skill-building. The people you work with are really great, and it really gets you to build confidence like never before. The people you meet in the field are also wonderful, and you get to talk to some really interesting individuals. You also definitely feel like you are making a positive impact, and the campaigns are always really good ones.

Cons

The heat makes the long days pretty terrible, and it is extremely physically demanding. There is also no flexibility in the schedule, and the pay is pretty low for how difficult of a job it is. The expectations are high, and it is often difficult to raise the minimum amount of funds some nights. Your results are often based on luck, and what kind of neighborhood you are assigned to. Keeping a healthy work/life balance is also really difficult, the long, grueling hours make it hard to have the time or energy to do anything but go to work.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Long hours, bad labor practices, but rewarding in its way

Jun 10, 2021 - Assistant Canvass Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most campaigns you work are good to feel like you’re making any impact on, and there’s never any that are actively bad.

Cons

Very long hours, especially at the busiest times of the year. Because of changes to salary/overtime laws, there may be hours caps now though. The labor practices of the Fund are abysmal in the context of it being a progressive organization. I know that they basically closed an office rather than allow the canvassers there to unionize back a year or so before the pandemic.

4. 3.0

Your typical call center

Jun 24, 2021 - Political Canvasser in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros include having the ability to work almost 40 hours a week at a minimum of 12.00/her. You had the ability to read or do homework while on the job waiting for your next phone call. In my short time, I was already being moved into the director position due to having a bachelors degree.

Cons

It is a tough environment. You need to reach weekly quotas or risk being put on probation the next week. If you go two weeks on probation you are essentially fired.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people working on important causes

Jul 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Important causes, great people, great experience

Cons

Difficult work, long weird hours, little pay

6. 5.0

Canvassing

Jun 28, 2021 - Field Manager in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great working environment, learn a lot of soft skills really quickly

Cons

Odd hours and continued employment depends on you fulfilling a quota consistently so job security isn't fantastic because it's canvassing

7. 2.0

Great People, Bad Job

Mar 24, 2021 - Canvasser/Field Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the people I worked with and made good friends with them. You definitely get close with your coworkers. You can make decent money (for someone without a degree) if you are one of the top canvassers.

Cons

You have to be meeting fundraising quotas, and if you don't you are let go. I was always able to make quota but it was very stressful because I was depending on this job to pay rent, and it did not feel like a stable job, I definitely got the sense that it could be gone at any moment. About 180 employees came and went in the three months I worked there, and there were never more than 30 people working there, which should give you a sense of the rate of turnover. Most people last two weeks. The scripts that you are given specifically obfuscate what you're raising money for: the majority of the money goes to continuing operations of canvassing for signatures. They will tell you this is by design; that that is their purpose, to collect signatures. But they should be up front about that with the donors. Of course, they will never tell the donors that, because very few people would donate if they knew it was just to pay more people to knock on doors.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0

Summer Job

Jul 12, 2021 - Campaign Staff in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work was important, as you had to raise money for campaigns aiming to protect the environment

Cons

Everything was over-the-phone and some people were rude. It is a lot of cold-calling, which can be stressful. The computers we used were old and out-of-date.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

This is from pre Covid. I don't know what they have changed but I still wouldn't recommend working there.

Mar 25, 2021 - ASSISTANT CANVASSING DIRECTOR
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Challenging and meaningful work -Pick up a lot of skills -Work alongside great people -Give a lot of responsibilities

Cons

-Long hours. Say goodbye to your social life cause you will only have one day off a week that you will be spending either sleeping or doing chores. Not to mention that the work day is usually around 10 hours a day with sometimes one early night depending on how many directors are in your office. God help you if you are brought on to start a new office by yourself. -Pay is awful. You are expected to work long hours (the summer up to 90 hours a week) for pay that is sooooooo inadequate. -Anti-union- Fund has a history of union busting through out it time. One could even argue that its bizarre employment structure is designed to make unionization of staff impossible. Similar to Amazon the Fund is design to have high turn over rates and most people are not expected to last longer then two weeks.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

"Directors" are paid less than canvassers

May 21, 2021 - Assistant Canvass Director in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Probably a good way to get daily steps

Cons

An absolute mess. As usual with TPIN, culturally incompetent. As I recruited canvasser I felt like I was constantly lying to them. I asked over and over again for a job description or staff policies for my own "assistant director" job, and no one gave me one or was able to answer my questions. I had no idea what my hours were going to be like even as I started the job because "they hadn't finalized the numbers yet." TPIN pays people as little as legally possible and works them as much as possible and will avoid putting any employment information in writing for as long as possible given state and city guidelines. As a canvass director, you are expected to canvass 4 days per week (although those numbers "weren't finalized" either?), but they lower your hourly wage when you canvass in a city with a lower minimum wage than the city you were asked to move to, live and pay rent in. You're forced to reckon with the fact that "your staff," the canvassers you are recruiting, hiring, and training, are paid more per hour than you as long as they canvass well. Also, they expect people to not have to use the restroom for 5 hours as they're canvassing in random neighborhoods unless they happen upon a public park or gas station with a bathroom. And say goodbye to your social life since you'll be seemingly working every evening including Friday and Saturday nights (though who actually knows, since no one gave me a freaking job description).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 489 Reviews