Fund for the Public Interest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Ed Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of responsibility given right away (in 18 reviews)

• You're making a difference in this world by educating the public about issues they might not be aware about (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but you are working with people who become your close friends so while the hours might be long you're working with a great bunch of people (in 42 reviews)

• This is door to door fundraising, if you are a person of color you will have it rough cause people will call the police on you (in 19 reviews)

1. "great experience"

Former Employee - Canvass Director
    Former Employee - Canvass Director

Pros

I worked for the Fund for the Public Interest for two summers. It was a great way to make an impact on the issues I care about, and the job taught me a lot of valuable skills. Highlight was definitely banning plastic grocery bags in cities across California!

Cons

There really weren't many cons. It is a lot of work and I was busy, but that wasn't a downside for me.

2. "Fun, potentially decently-paying, not for everyone"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

If you're passionate about environmental and consumer issues, canvassing with the Fund is a great way to get involved. It helps fund important work in DC.

The people you'll work with are fun, smart, and passionate, and will help you develop your skills.

Fundraising is essentially a sales job, so if you've had success in sales, this is a good fit. If you're charming or good at persuasion, you could definitely be an effective canvasser.

Finally, if you're a good fundraiser, you can make decent money off incentive pay.

Cons

A side effect of this being pretty much a sales job is that you have to meet fundraising quotas. They make this clear enough at hire, but it can't be emphasized enough: your employment is contingent on meeting quota. Even skilled canvassers hit random rough patches that make them lose their jobs.

Being rejected over and over can also be demoralizing, as can drawn-out conversations with people who oppose the campaign. Not for those easily upset by being ignored or challenged in public.

Advice to Management

Just make sure everyone hired really understands what they're getting into. I did, but I know of people who felt a bit misled about terms of employment.

3. "Canvasser/Field Manager"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

Engaging the public on different issues fun group of people to work with.

Cons

Quotas are uncomfortable and made the job all about getting money from people not the public outreach.

4. "Not the best"

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest part-time

Pros

hard working and highly energetic office

Cons

exploitative pay and hours
    job becomes your life

5. "A great cause supported by burnout and poor middle management"

Former Employee - Canvass Director in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Canvass Director in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working on issues important to consumers that few other nonprofits cover.
    - College-age canvassers get really fired-up about the issues the Fund is working on.

Cons

- Motivating and supporting canvassers with the knowledge they could be let go next week is difficult.
    - Daily fundraising expectations can hamper organizing goals.
    - Regional management is not very good at making goals known and if they were missed, there is little time to make them up.
    - Though the potential to move up through the organization is regularly talked about, most coworkers I know were turned down for promotions/movement in the organization and left for other jobs.

6. "Assistant Canvassing Director"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

Magnetic and energetic people to be around with. Highly conscious of political scene and motivated to make a difference in our society.

Cons

Long hours. Outside working in extreme weather. Beware of the winter season.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. "Field Manager/ Canvasser"

Current Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest (More than a year)

Pros

Fun team environment and flexible hours.

Cons

They don’t pay you what you are worth. They say you can make $500-$600 in a week and realistically that’s what you make on two weeks paychecks, without taxes taken off. I am a marketing and sales superstar, and always exceeded weekly goals with this job. However; the pay was so low that I was homeless. Half of the team was homeless. I had to commute from the mountains to work everyday.

8. "If you want to work in organizing, work for the Fund"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Fund gives excellent training in the basics of grassroots organizing and helps develop passionate beginners into established leaders for social movements. On top of that, the people who work for the Fund are exceptional in many ways. Organizing is challenging , but the Fund's staff are inspiring and a pleasure to work alongside.

Cons

No one said organizing was easy. With all non-profit jobs, the hours are long and the salary is not comparable to what can be found in the private sector. The benefits, however, are often overlooked.

9. "Company with good goals"

Former Employee - Field Manager in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Field Manager in College Park, MD

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- For good causes
    - Positive atmosphere with nice, supportive, and motivated people
    - Good for developing diplomatic social skills. Very similar to a sales job.

Cons

- Low pay for Canvassers unless you're good at Canvassing
    - Low pay and lots of hours for higher-up, salaried positions. The low pay is probably partially because they're raising money as a nonprofit
    - They try to make you continue to canvass in very uncomfortable weather conditions (e.g. below 20 degree weather, but fine for summer jobs)
    - High turnover rate for people who aren't good at Canvassing

Advice to Management

Pay people a little more, especially the salaried workers.

10. "Great Experience and Skills Development"

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Fund provides excellent training on grassroots organizing. The positions cover a wide range of skills from fundraising to recruitment to administration to staff management and development. There are also many opportunities for rapid advancement and leadership within the organization.

Cons

While The Fund is upfront about the hours required and the compensation provided, the balance between the two can be a difficult line to walk.