Fund for the Public Interest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Ed Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of responsibility given right away" (in 18 reviews)

• "You're making a difference in this world by educating the public about issues they might not be aware about" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Grit is necessary, must be able to go door to door" (in 22 reviews)

• "The job is tough and isn't for everyone - long hours, pay is low (good benefits though" (in 46 reviews)

1. "Canvass Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great training and staff development. If you want to gain a bunch of skills and move up quickly while also making a big impact on saving the planet, this is a good place to start.

Cons

The job is tough and isn't for everyone - long hours, pay is low (good benefits though!)

2. "Really tough job with cool people"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

You get the chance to meet a lot of people, but the turnover is so high that they often don't stick around. You could potentially make a lot in commission.

Cons

The hours are long and there's a lot of physical demand. Sometimes the directors are not mindful of these physical demands and they don't exactly encourage you to take breaks even though its illegal to work more than a certain amount of time without a break.

3. "Field Manager"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers are amazing people.

Cons

Everything besides your coworkers is the worst. At the DC location, none of the Directors were professional, materials for canvassers were never properly put together, and the office was never kept clean/looking professional. There is an obscene amount of harassment that happens to canvassers on the street, and the Directors are literally trained not to care/pretend to care. To them and to the Fund as a whole you are only worth as much money as you can get whilst canvassing. Additionally, the turnover rate at this job is absolutely insane; while they may seem to care about you, once you don't make quota, you are treated like dirt.

Advice to Management

The management needs to become more organized, more professional, and actually care about their employees.

4. "Brief employment experience (3 days)"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

*co-workers are super nice, positive, and friendly
    *meeting new people
    *little bit of cash handling experience
    *working for a good cause (raising environmental awareness, gaining support for helping the planet, etc)

Cons

*job involves 5 hours on your feet, going door to door with a memorized speech and no scheduled breaks or access to a bathroom (unless you're lucky and in a neighborhood that has a nearby restaurant/cafe)
    *expectation that you put in extra time to helping out the cause outside of scheduled hours
    *if you miss a day of work, it's expected that you make it up by working a weekend day
    *pay is minimum wage

5. "Fine for the Summer"

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Fund for Equality, a part of Fund for the Public Interest dedicated to the Human Rights Campaign. The people I worked with were incredible, we were a close-knit group who were dedicated and excited about the cause we were supporting. It really felt like we were working to make a better future for the lgbt community, and in a supportive environment. There was daily training to learn and polish our skills, and some room for growth, but the main focus was the mission.

Cons

When I started at Fund for Equality, there were maybe 50 people in our office. By the time I left, there were 3. Some of those people left because this was their college summer job, but for the rest of us it steadily became more and more difficult to stay. The office closed down with no notice for weeks due to an investigation, and we all lost wages as a result. Sometimes canvassing left us vulnerable to safety hazards, usually harassment. Being rejected almost constantly while worrying about making quota to keep the job didn't help either.

"Hard Work But Fulfilling"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

You work with hardworking, smart, talented, motivated people who want to make the world a better place. There is extensive training and constant staff development. You develop important skills that can transfer to other industries.

Cons

The hours are long and the pay isn't wonderful. This is a good job for someone who wants to be able to pay the bills while working on important political issues.

7. "Phone canvasser/ caller"

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest part-time

Pros

Super easy, just sit there talk to people on the phone and take their money. Good for students. Above minimum wage if your able to perform.

Cons

You won't work here long, if you make it a month your the one percent. I've been here for almost a year and only one other person has been here as long.

8. "Field Manager"

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest part-time

Pros

I worked at the New York office. The people were great and the training taught me skills that transcend canvassing.

Cons

The long hours in the hot New York sun

9. "Interesting experience..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

I believe that the causes of the campaigns are good.

Cons

They will fire you instantly if you do not make quota, so job security is not there. often time whether or not you make the quota is not in your control but rather luck. The hours are terrible, I worked from 12:45pm and sometimes would not get out till 10:30pm or later, it was Monday through Friday. Basically say goodbye to any kind of school life. Canvassing is physically demanding especially during the summer with the high temperatures and long term exposure to the elements,

Advice to Management

I don't think that briefing after every shift is necessary, it is repetitive and keeps employees in the office even later.

10. "Only if you have to."

Former Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers are very nice
    - Feels like a dorm environment.
    - Training is helpful

Cons

- No safety on the job
    - misleading mission statement
    - Unclear job description.