Funding Circle Reviews | Glassdoor

Funding Circle Co-Founder and CEO Samir Desai
Samir Desai

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "None to write, maybe few opportunities for career progression" (in 6 reviews)

• "Advice, do not work in the sales department at funding circle and the PAY IS RUBBISH" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Having a great time here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO and overall leadership

Great business direction

Exciting growth plans for the business and teams across tech.

Funderbar and food offerings

Company culture still feels close knit despite the growth

Cons

Quick growth can mean we sometimes pivot quickly in direction. Can be difficult for some to adjust to

Mar 7, 2019 – People Partner

It's great to hear you're having a good time, and thank you for writing a review. If you have any suggestions for how we can support employees through the pace of change, or to continue to improve... More

"Amazing Company with amazing opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is incredible and will bend over backwards to make sure you are set up for success.

Cons

Nothing out of the norm...Relatively new with standard growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Dec 17, 2018

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback!

"Stay away if you can"

Pros

Good product : stocked kitchen : life work balance

Cons

Transparency with management is little to none, managers have little to no experience so there is micromanaging from the top of the funnel onto individual employees. High quota to hit and barely anyone making it because of expectations

Morale is at a all time low with the SF office moving to Denver, high turnover rate with at least one person leaving per week. Hard to hire in sales because the wages are not as competitive as other sales positions in the market, stay far away as possible unless you want a mediocre work environment with little to no transparency

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, pay fair wages, don’t hire managers with little to no experience that will translate into micromanaging

"It’s been ok, Concerned with pay"

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time

Pros

I have enjoyed working at Funding Circle. They have a good culture overall and work life balance is definitely there. I think the company is making good progress in a lot of areas. Benefits are great. Unlimited PTO, fully stocked kitchen, etc.

Cons

Very concerned with their actual cash compensation. I have well over 10 years of post-grad experience and I’m probably making what a recent grad would make in tech at any of the other post IPO companies. They also don’t pay bonuses which is pretty upsetting especially when peers at other cos are seeing massive checks come in this time of year. A lot of people on my team have quickly moved on for a serious bump elsewhere and I suspect a lot more will as they realize the stock isn’t really making up for it.

The other issue is that because the company is based in the UK it seems they see SF salaries as outrageous and might turn their nose at competing with other companies on comp.

Advice to Management

People don’t actually want “Career Development” they just want more money. Endless classes and discussions on how to “develop a career” is still going to leave your employees hungry for more. Double down on the people you trust and rely on with actual $ or they will keep jumping ship.

"Eh"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Funding Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good snacks
    Chill standards

Cons

Communication
    SF is dead
    Sam Hodges is gone

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Funding Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$80/month gym stipend in SF office only, free lunches on Tuesdays, the people, and a fully stocked fridge of beer which you can take some home if you want.

Cons

Funding Circle pays below market rate for wages. This can be seen through the high employee turnover rate, but even more so recently as there seems to be a max exodus of people. Not to mention that the entire ops department was laid off and moved to Denver. 401k matching was just introduced in January 2018, but it doesn't come as much of a surprise, since the ops team in SF was laid off so that people in Denver would do the same work for over 10k/year less.

Upper management also fails to see the writing on the wall. Like a review before this has said, if you like being a big fish in a small pond, Funding Circle is for you. Employees are just not valued for their contributions.

Advice to Management

The "Be Open" value is not truly a Funding Circle value. Transparency is not quite there, which is sad because new joiners buy into the mission and values of the company. Be honest with prospective employees and seriously consider the adequacy of managers when doing reviews.

"For Recent Grads Only"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Funding Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great experience for people who have never sold before.

- On-going sales training development.

Cons

- Very low pay. Not competitive. I recommend if you have over 1+ year(s) experience you look else where to make up to 50% more.

- Very low chance of promotion. Climbing the Funding Circle latter can be quick. However, for the most part it will be a lateral move not an actual promotion.

- Very poor middle management. Treats employees like children that needs tons of hand holding. Which comes off as a lack of trust. They also do not take new ideas and suggestions seriously.

- Morale/Turnover. The company doesn’t have a team spirit that holds the employees together and feeling positive. Because of this people have been leaving in effort to escape the poor managers and low morale. This is a company wide issue not a sales one.

- Foreseeable future. Since the IPO, Funding Circle needs to show profitability to investors. Because of this I don’t predict low pay will be fixed and Funding Circle should be used as a career starter.

Advice to Management

To upper management I suggest you really listen to the feedback you’ve been given from all channels. And pick out the bad middle management apples that many employees are aware you’ve heard about. These managers are holding certain departments back.

Also Account Manager really isn’t a fitting job title. Account Executive would be more appropriate as we are closing deals and not following up with them after the close.

"A Career Graveyard!"

Current Employee - Technical in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to be a big fish in a small pond, then Funding Circle is for you. not many smart people at Funding Circle, so you can easily outperform your co-workers if you deliver a bit of work.

Cons

1. Not honest during the interview process. When I interviewed with the company, they told me they have this or that tech stacks and applications. But after I joined, I realized those items were just wish-list items, not actual thing they have! The tech side is so backward, it is not better than your grandpa's lending company.
    2. The company has no interest in investing in employees and talents. Even after IPO, all the upper managers care about is cost saving and cost saving. They have no plan to increase pay or actual benefits for employees. There is no clear career progress path and you earn below average in the bay area. The company doesn't even hire enough janitors to keep the office space clean and tidy. The kitchen area and the private restrooms are dirty! There were rat problems in the office as well.
    3. Some team leaders are less than mediocre. For examples, the analytics team lead can't even tell the difference between APR and Interest rate, or explain what is a/b testing or p-value, etc.
    4. So many people jumped ship. After I joined a new company, a handful of Funding Circle co-workers already reached out to me for new job referral. Nobody wants to stay there.

Advice to Management

greedy and short sighted. I think the company has no true passion to challenge traditional finance or whatsoever.

Feb 13, 2019

It’s tough to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations when you worked here, but thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

We’re always trying to make Funding Circle a better place to work... More

"Never Transparent"

Current Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks and benefits were great

Cons

Lied about moving to Denver. The company did not tell their employees until recently that they will be closing down an office.

Advice to Management

Have some dignity

Dec 6, 2018 – Sr Technology Recruiter

Thanks for your post. We strive to be as transparent as possible with every Circler, so it’s disappointing to hear that you feel we fell short here. To be clear, we have no plans to close down an... More

"Funding Circle Is A Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Funding Circle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the most talented group of people I've ever worked with. The HR department and the company management are responsive and attentive.

Cons

It's always a challenge keeping up with the growth.

Dec 17, 2018

Thank you! We really appreciate the feedback!