Furniture Row Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Furniture Row CEO Barney Visser
Barney Visser

Pros
  • good pay if you are a hard worker (in 14 reviews)

• Great pay if you are willing to put in the time (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Trained well to sell great product at a great price."

Current Employee - Sales in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on location you can do really well. 70k plus in first year. Staff and managers are we selected with great care.

Cons

None really, management is very good. As large as the company is it feels like a family. CEO is a man of great conviction and it shows in the company.

Advice to Management

You guys are great keep it up

2. "Provided Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'll start by saying when I got the job at Furniture Row, I was mainly looking for something that I could "fill in" while I was looking for another job with more of a future. Turns out that job was this one. When I was hired it was much different than it is now. The training program is 10x better (6 weeks paid training) they fly you to Denver for more training after you've been with the company for a few months, the new President (Tim Visser) has a very strong vision that he is implementing and following (he just gave managers a significant raise in Dec) and he has provided a breath of fresh air to a somewhat "stale" environment that we as employees were experiencing the last 2 years. If you're looking for a good opportunity, I would definitely recommend Furniture Row.
    -401k
    -paid vacation
    -opportunity for growth

Cons

-Working almost every weekend (hey, it's a sales job) Which can affect the time you're able to spend with your family.
    -Long hours as a Manager. When your assistant is on vacation, or you just don't have an assistant manager, you can work upwards of 70 hours a week if you don't have coverage.
    -Tons of responsibilities as the Manager. (building maintenance, sales coaching, training, inventory, warehouse, etc) If you're are not organized, you WILL get buried with too much to do.
    -Career advancement usually requires relocation. So if you're not able to move, don't expect quick management opportunities.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to allow the Store Managers even more time and help to take care of the day to day operations of the job. This includes inventory, sales coaching, sales training, etc. It's very easy to get behind if you're not extremely organized.

3. "Salespeople"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay structure overall that escalates

Cons

Working saturdays but that's where you make most money

Advice to Management

Keeping asking for feedback

"Good company"

Former Employee - Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great opportunities and options to promote up are quick. Pay is good as long as you work for it. Benefits are nice (401k, vacation, health, dental). Good atmosphere are confidence when selling products.

Cons

Always plan on working holidays and every weekend. 100% commission hard to get used to. Only paid when product is delivered. Long hours especially in management. Few bonuses for exceeding expectations.

Advice to Management

Need to put more focus more on getting current trending products available. Very behind in trends. Be more considerate of employees lives outside of work..

"If you love cleaning public restrooms"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love cleaning public restrooms, then this job is for you.

Cons

If you don't care a damn about the customer, then this job is for you. If you give suggestions that can help the customer experience or improve the company, be prepared to hear the management rehearsed line “maybe this is not a good fit for you. Fortunately I found a better job and left this place before I went crazy. An example of how this company does not give a damn about you. This is a huge company, yet they do not have an HR department. I'm not kidding. I don't have room here to mention all the examples of how this company does not care about the customer. I worked here and I would not buy here. If you are looking for a job with zero respect or dignity, this is the job for you. I am a career sales professional and like many salespeople, I have worked at multiple companies. I have been fortunate working for many great companies. Unfortunately, Furniture Row was by far the worst. You will see many positive post on glassdoor. Upper management constantly request employees to post positive comments. It is hard for store managers to find people to work for them, due to such a poor reputation. Do you think any of the recent positive comments just might be from managers hoping to boost the rankings?

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees and your employees will start caring about the customer. Listen to the employees without telling them, "this may not be a good fit for you". Your employees know what is wrong with the company and how to fix it. If not threatened with termination, they can help turn this company around before it is too late.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management training. This year the upper management brought to the management training Captain Michael Abrashoff (a former commander of USS Benfold). In my opinion it was an incredible opportunity to learn from such an inspirational leader and the highest level professional! If you are looking to acquire great management skills you will have an opportunity to learn from the best people! Decent pay, great team and absolutely amazing quality furniture for a great price!

Cons

You will require to work on the weekends and holidays. It is a sad part of the working in a retail, however it is rewarding $$

Advice to Management

Let's continue with "Drive to Drive" contest!

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training - sales and product knowledge are drilled into you. You will remember them for life
    Money - if you're in a big enough store, you will make a decent living and not stress too much

Cons

Hours - once you get to a management position any kind of personal life goes out the door. Say goodbye to friends and family.
    Turnover - you can't keep good ones because someone will dig something up to fire or ask them to leave. This leaves more stress in the rest of the store. You may even have to run another brand.
    Middle management/regional management-
    This is the club to be in. Unless you luck out to work under a regional that cares about his people, don't speak up, don't share your ideas, only do as you're told.

Advice to Management

Go back to how Barney envisioned his company. Take care of your people and your people will take care of you. during the 'inspection' if someone is upset don't use it as 'they threw you under the bus'. Teach them how to see what they might need to change.

9. "Good Peopl"

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Furniture Row is about helping people.They always say, "We are in the people business and we use furniture to accomplish that."
    Also can make a great living, and the promotion opportunities are for real.

Cons

Work/life balance is a challenge and health insurance has some holes.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people to keep up with the times.

"Stay away from working here"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Abilene, TX

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good sometimes

Cons

No consistency schedule or hours. Paychecks are always different. There is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees.

"Best Furniture Store Ever"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On job training is awesome.. Great work environment and a company that really cares about it's employees

Cons

Making great pay and finding out what to spend it on.. no REAL cons

Advice to Management

NONE