Fusion Academy Reviews

3.6
Fusion Academy CEO Peter Ruppert
Peter Ruppert
Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough planning time or support(in 22 reviews)

• "Low pay, tendency to micromanagement(in 20 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Fusion Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative and forward thinking company with strong leadership and family-like atmosphere.

Cons

Compensation is competitive, and working conditions are flexible, but some benefits could be better, such as paid vacation and parental leave policies.

January 13, 2021Leadership Recruiter

Many thanks for taking time to review your experience! We hope you continue to enjoy the innovation, leadership, and family-like environment. Your input is noted over to the HR team too. Have a great year!

2. COVID-19

"Challenging Work, Changing Lives"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Fusion Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is great, as are the people who make it great! I’ve worked for two different VP’s at Fusion and both are stellar women in their own right. First and foremost, leadership cares about people. That goes unsaid too often. The work is inspiring and challenging. There is an amazing vibe at the schools that the Teachers and leaders in the school somehow magically create every day. Many say “Family-like” but I say “Sports team-like” which aligns more to the really strong friendships that are built within the teams. I genuinely feel like there is a little bit of "home" that is alive on every campus. Teachers are amazing, the parents and students love the impact that Teachers make by personalizing the experience for each student. Good hardware. Clean offices and spaces. Schools are located in great parts of great cities. HomeBase office is right downtown Grand Rapids MI. Taking COVID and DE&I extremely seriously.

Cons

Everyone wants new and better systems faster. My uninformed opinion is we were slow in hiring a CIO and getting more leaders on the bus to address this within the systems and development teams. By hiring a CIO I believe the company is taking things seriously to grow the team that is addressing enterprise-wide struggles with systems and the acquisition of a competitor. The company while addressing DE&I issues, gets a ding from me.

Continue reading

3. "Great but not consistent hours"

4.0
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Fusion Academy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great leadership, great community and team. Great part time job!

Cons

Not consistent hours through out the year. Very variable based on enrollment.

January 14, 2021Regional Vice President

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review for us. And 4 stars! I agree that Southlake has a great community, team and leadership, and I'm so glad to hear that from you! We are often looking for ways to impact those lower enrollment times, like summer, and serve more students in our community, so if you have any ideas/suggestions, please feel free to reach out to me at ldrewery@fusionacademy.com.

4. "It's That Important!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director of Homework Cafe in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fusion Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is real and it works - Fantastic team to work with and for - Decent income and benefits

Cons

Job title needs improvement - Not a lot of room for growth

January 14, 2021Regional Vice President

Hello Fellow Fusionite! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I'm thrilled to hear that you love your team and are seeing the mission work - there's nothing better than impacting and changing our students' lives! I'd love to hear your suggestions about a change in job title and explore growth opportunities for you. Please feel reach out to your HOS or me directly at ldrewery@fusionacademy.com.

"Good for what it is"

Former Employee - Educator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fusion Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours teach what you want

Cons

On hourly pay as teachers, don't have many hours when you first start

Continue reading
  6. "Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Fusion Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fusion is a family of like-minded individuals who are impassioned to help change the lives of adolescents. You are a part of a team that is inclusive, supportive, and challenges you in the best way possible. You get to watch students lives change for the better. Being a part of the Fusion family brings a sense of purpose to your life!

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times but it challenges you to work smarter.

January 4, 2021Regional Vice President

Thank you for your kind review! I am thrilled to hear this, and I'm so grateful that you are part of our Fusion Family, changing the lives of our students and making a huge impact. Please reach out anytime, if you'd like to share any feedback directly, pro or con: Lea Drewery, District VP - Southwest District: ldrewery@fusionacademy.com.

7. "Nice"

Current Employee - Teacher in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Fusion Academy part-time

Pros

friendly staff dedicated to teaching

Cons

I have no cons right now

December 28, 2020District Vice President

Thank you for your review! If you end up finding any "cons" about working at Fusion Academy, please let your Head of School know and/or reach out to me, your District Vice President. I'm glad you can see how dedicated our staff are!

"Save Yourself and Don’t Work Here"

1.0
    Current Employee - Teacher/Mentor

I have been working at Fusion Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students are remarkable and will change your life.

Cons

Management doesn’t care about staff or students. They only care about the astronomical amount of money they are charging families ($125-$150 a class) while only paying their teachers $25-35 an hour. They will not offer benefits if they don’t have to, and will make sure that they don’t have to pay more for teachers who need benefits by cutting down their hours.

"Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Teacher/Mentor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fusion Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Umm, nice facility, and maybe an opportunity for new teachers to pad their resume before swiftly moving on to greener pastures.

Cons

Toxic corporate culture run by a top-down, tone-deaf hierarchy that regards teachers as expendable, exploitable commodities toward its true mission of maximizing profits for its investor group, while offering pitiful wages/benefits and unsustainable schedules to teachers, leading to atrocious staff turnover rates (our campus averaged 50% annually!!) and thus a disruptive learning environment for the students, who in turn are routinely assigned multiple teachers to complete a single course amidst the steady stream of departures, whose parents are paying exorbitant tuitions for what they are misled to believe is a uniquely qualified school staffed by well-compensated, expert instructors, not the inexperienced and/or untrained newbs pressed into serving the challenging, special-ed type of clientele that Fusion targets. Play at your own risk, dear friends.

10. "Amazing lace"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional, Special Education in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Fusion Academy part-time

Pros

1:1 specialized education for students in the school

Cons

Full time is hard to come by

December 28, 2020District Vice President

I appreciate you taking time to write a review for your time with Fusion so far. One of the aspects of our program that many teachers like is that they can be part-time or full-time. I would encourage you to connect with your Head of School to discuss growing your program into a full-time one if you would like to work more. Given we have the students, I'm sure he/she would love to have you on more! You are also welcome to reach out to me, Jenn Robinson, District Vice President at jrobinson@fusionacademy.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 387 English Reviews