Future Publishing Limited Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Zillah Byng-Maddick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees are respected with senior management keen to develop them (in 5 reviews)

• Really excelled me technically and gave me lots of opportunities to learn more about different areas in IT (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Confusing senior management choices (in 5 reviews)

• s profits come at the expense of job security, pay and prospects (in 3 reviews)

1. "Overall positive work environment"

Pros

Working with nice, talented people, good benefits, bagels on Fridays.

Cons

Management doesn't really know which direction to go in, brands are too fragmented and not enough free collaboration

2. "Overal an average experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy - you are treated well by Line Management and left to do the job you are employed to do
    Senior Management have a good understanding of the industry

Cons

Lack of knowledge/experience of staff within company, career progression

Advice to Management

There seems to be a mentality of 'hire a graduate' when ever anyone leaves. Whilst graduates have their place in any business, the knowledge pool is being diluted year after year, as no one with any industry or company longevity seems to exist. Replacing someone with 10 years experience with someone straight out of university (for less money) is not a long term strategy, but a short term gain

Salary is OK for a graduate/intern but the company is seen (by existing colleagues & others in industry) as a bit of a stepping stone allowing you to get a foundation/knowledge in publishing before inevitably moving to London for bigger & better roles.

An overhaul of the salary structure will mean that talent will apply for demanding roles and they will not be put off by the lower end of market pay

"Great people, terrible pay, struggling industry."

Former Employee - Art Editor in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Art Editor in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Very sociable – you'll meet some great friends.
    • You'll learn a lot. This company is full of people who are brilliant at what they do.
    • You'll work on some great products. Future manage to output a consistently high standard.
    • It's all special-interest magazines, so you get to work on something you really care about.

Cons

• Incredibly bad pay.
    • It's all special-interest magazines, so you get to work on something you really care about… but the powers-that-be are aware of that, and they will take advantage of that with crappy pay and zero other incentives to work there other than the very occasional free donut.
    • Almost zero chance of being internally promoted to a senior position beyond editor level; these are only taken by a clique of staff (some great, but some godawful and struggling to stay relevant) who have been there since the 90s, or have come straight in at a higher position.
    • Pretty much no benefits package or incentives other than pension and Bupa. The canteen used to be a Starbucks, then it was Costa, then it was eventually a terrible, nondescript company who were only there because they under-cut every other caterer for the contract. That's not massively important in itself, but it's kind-of representative of where the company once was and where it is now.
    • They cancelled the Christmas party for a number of years - the only yearly party – so staff organised their own (most of the staff are pretty awesome like that). But Future failed to notice until they jumped on it last-minute and put some money into it. It was a bit pathetic, and unfortunately testament to how much effort they bother putting in. Come on, Future – if you're going to put everyone on low salaries, at least try and look like you care once a year.
    • Historically, there have been wide redundancies every couple of years.
    • Internal budgets cuts mean everything needs to be done on a shoe-string.

Advice to Management

Stop making decisions based on ego-driven, pie-chart-watching board room conversations and actually listen to your staff. There are more people on the shop floor who understand the company inside out than you give credit to, or deserve. Pay better wages – kill-off the crappy salaries so ingrained in publishing – your staff are highly-skilled, intelligent, educated, and worth much, much more. Show your staff you care. Show them some respect. Make them love the company, not just the people they work with. Stop being so transparently cynical with your occasional token incentives, and just start showing you about how awesome your staff are and how lucky you are to have so many of them working for you. And stop acting like you're doing them a favour by employing them just because they get to write about games or films.

"A great place to work that's on the up."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, offers lots of opportunities for upward progression and growth. Feels like there's a lot of forward momentum at the momentum and recent share price increases are a great indication of our relative success vs the wider publishing market. Hard work is definitely rewarded.

Cons

Cafe Food is hit and miss. Would be great to have more out of work company benefits e.g. deals agreed with local businesses for discounts for Future Employees.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Continue to celebrate and share success as much as possible, Also keep employees informed of any changes in strategy (good or bad) and the reasons behind these.

"Everything's important, except the peopl"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fairly relaxed and collaborative working space, with no strict hours policy, and no barriers to working with people throughout the business. Good opportunities to gain exposure very quickly to most facets of the company, which is less likely in other media houses.

Cons

The culture of fear.
    It becomes achingly obvious, very quickly, just how brutal the view of staff in Future is. Within weeks, if that, you'll notice the first people that are suddenly not there anymore. Then more will be gone. It's a pure asset/liability tightrope at Future, as far as staff are concerned and, as the business continues to actively move away from focusing on content (whatever hooey they spin to the contrary), and instead focusing on affiliate sales, anyone not pushing or contributing to that agenda have their days numbered.
    The management team are petrified of Zillah too. No-one dare make a stand, or even dissent, so everything is essentially micro-managed, and teams are doing work that EVERYONE knows is wrong-headed, but are doing it anyway 'because the boss says'.
    It's not sane to try and develop a career in such an arbitrary business, so avoid, which is a shame to say, as there are a lot of good people still here. But, they'll get made redundant and replaced with graduates by the end of the year too.

Advice to Management

Be honest, and don't bullsh*t your teams. They all know who's calling the shots, and they know their magazines don't matter to the online sales focus. Either stand up to Zillah and make the strategy case for your products, or 'fess up that you aren't in control, and trying to keep your head above water, like everybody else.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company, working with brilliant creative people. Fab office locations.
    A sturdy business with loads of staff benefits. Scope to move around and evolve.

Cons

Parking costs in Bath are rather expensive.

"Avoid working here!"

I worked at Future Publishing Limited (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work attire, working from home and you aren't be penalised for being 5 minutes late. The work environment is mostly good due to working colleagues on the same level being a decent lot in my experience of several years, even with business slowly cracking around me.

Cons

Future is intent on reducing teams to breaking point whereby some critical employees are laid off and their responsibilities passed onto others who have no understanding or training of those responsibilities. And I don't mean minor roles, these are roles which functioned flawlessly and brought financial benefits, which can no longer be properly handled (or done at all) after the layoffs.

Culling staff is a yearly event, starting in November. It's become the normality for a number of years. I've seen colleagues go into consultation days before Christmas for the past two years.

To save money Future aims looks to fill jobs with graduates where possible. The cost cutting exercise throughout the business is draining the business of experienced employees. The company has a mission to cut costs to become profitable, it makes less money each year so the answer is keep squeezing the overheads regardless of consequences. It's effectively speeding up it's own decline as it just gets worse at delivering.

There's absolutely no career development, training, or support from managers. As an employee of Future you either sink or swim. Ask a manager for help/advice on an assigned task from them and you often get nothing back, they simply don't fundamentally manage; they may not have the answer so avoid any response. I've experienced this face-to-face with my manager many times, and my emails ignored.

I could go on for hours here, but I think I've made my point. I'm not a bitter ex-employee I'm glad to be made redundant and receive compensation. I was offered an opportunity to apply for another role but refused, it's just not worth spending so much of my working life swimming in these toxic conditions, 15+ years is quite enough. I feel sad for my friends at Future who remain in the circumstances I've escaped.

If you plan to work for Future, know the above. You'll find this out for yourself once you've passed the honeymoon period of the shiny new job.

Advice to Management

To middle managers: Your fear of Zillah is damaging the business, you well know how bad moral and extent of departments are struggling to perform, yet you say and do nothing to support your staff. It's on you guys, sweeping this under the carpet to avoid hassle from the top is destroying any hope this company can escape from it's years of decline and eventual bankruptcy.

"Depressing"

Current Employee - Editor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Editor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work in a creative environment, on class-leading products with mostly talented people. Reasonable budgets and flexible working on a relaxed environment in central Bath.

Cons

Budgets are taking a hammering. Constant redundancies and yearly restructures provide no sense of stability. The print publishing side is in a death spiral. The web site is moving to a marketing driven editorial model. While there infinite holidays there's no budget to provide cover, pension is a joke, no bonus scheme worth anything, general despair.

Advice to Management

The constant changes in structure provide no stability, communication feels like it's just cursory while actually hiding redundancies and moves to cut costs.

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

While this platform provides the space to leave anonymous reviews which we encourage and support, we promote all of our current employees to... More

9. "Great company, great ethos, effective senior management team."

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Bath, England (UK)

Pros

Driven senior management team, transparent visionary leadership.

Cons

Office carpets and furniture need updating

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, lay more emphasis on culture of continuous improvement.

Jan 23, 2017 – PR & Marketing Executive

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear your comments on transparent leadership. At Future, we're all about communicating ideas and strategy across the business. And you're in luck! Our Bath... More

10. "Lots of Responsibility from Outset"

Former Employee - Grad in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Grad in London, England (UK)

I worked at Future Publishing Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great learning environment for people new to the industry with lots of responsibility given from the outset
    Great colleagues - boss who encourage you to perform your best
    Relaxed and flexible working environment - don't have to wear a suit (yay!)

Cons

Graduate scheme needs improvement - fairly nonexistent at present
    Communication & engagement between departments could be better
    Benefits are basic

Advice to Management

Look into employee benefits and value contribution
    Update tech - some of the equipment is pretty out of date
    Give everyone free magazine subscription(s) - strange this is not implemented already

Jan 23, 2017 – PR & Marketing Executive

Thanks for your feedback! It's much appreciated. We like to nurture a creative, inspiring and flexible environment here at Future, and we're updating all our facilities to match this aim. Our people... More