Future Shop Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

3.6
Future Shop President and Chief Operating Officer Ron Wilson (no image)
Ron Wilson
Pros
  • "When you work with good people this is one of the best part time jobs you can get(in 23 reviews)

• "The excellent employee discount was awesome for nerds like me(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Really seasonal type of business, best buy(in 17 reviews)

• "Part time requires minimum 25 hours a week(in 12 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at Future Shop

Pros

Good people. good grow. opportunity more

Cons

less income. less benefit, no

Continue reading

"Zero job security, everyone disposable, profit and personal politics over people, betrayal."

1.0
    Former Employee - Agent Level II

I worked at Future Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is on time, nice discount, worker level colleagues great, good health/dental. Working at Best Buy headquarters at Burnaby (owners of future shop ) better than working at store level. Ethics and atmosphere more mature.

Cons

As the 'renew blue' and 'renew red' cost cutting and job shedding measures continue to try and get Best Buy back to good profitability bite, successive waves of job losses over the last 4yrs have left staff morale low and fear of losing jobs at a high. Staff are now hired as to how cheap they will be, especially at installer level. Zero job security, as seniority and pay level rises over time, they cap it at $20ph for home installers and then 1% cost of living a year, waves of terminations every year as they get rid of higher earning installers and middle management to hire cheaper kids just out of high school. A year or so passes and the cycle starts again. Salesman sharking and selling the customer whatever is good for best commission rather than what's best for the customer is rampant. Experience overall depends on management and store, if you get a nice set and you 'gel' life is good, if you don't gel and you're face doesn't fit with that manager, you will be "terminated without cause". It doesn't matter how skilled you are or how much your customers love you. Beware a two faced backstabbing management team, because if you are unlucky to get a manager that doesn't like being disagreed with on a fair or valid point, you will be frozen out. If the manager wants to get rid of you because he personally doesn't like you, even if your job performance is immaculate and clients love you, he/she will. All the power is with them, head office isn't involved, there is an ethicspoint.com appeal process but don't bother. Officially there's a zero retaliation policy but if you kick up a fuss over being let go they will find an excuse not to re hire you. Future Shop/best buy don't walk the talk when it comes to ethics and morality. You are a number. Don't give Future Shop/Best Buy any loyalty, be it employment or custom, they won't show any to you.

"Never again"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, GA

I worked at Future Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Made some good friends that I still keep. They have helped me through a lot of things that I've had to face- but never alone

Cons

Horrible place to work! Horrible management! Horrible upper management team! They don't care about the employees but only about the money Especially the one on tinge and 16th- the way the store is managed is bad. Felt nothing better for myself came out of it and didn't feel appreciated even after everything I did for them.

Continue reading
  4. "Decent for part time work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Future Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Seasonality and consumer buying patterns can lead to good months making over $4,500/month. Fairly easy job for the most part.

Cons

Sales associates are bottom feeders to the organization, and for the most part, there is a lot of micro-managing on the floor. Low autonomy. Not enough monthly profit sharing in regards to sales targets. Recently change commission structure

5. "Closed"

Current Employee - Manager in Sarnia, ON

I have been working at Future Shop full-time

Pros

Great wages, great benefits and hours

Cons

Work life balance, hard to advance

6. "Representative"

5.0

I worked at Future Shop part-time

Pros

great company great staff and great atmosphere

Cons

there are no disadvantages. they are a great company

7. "Only writing this to see more info on this website"

I worked at Future Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most managers were great and attentive

Cons

Boxing day hours were horrible but the pay made up for it

8. "Typical sales job but with acceptable pay"

Former Employee - Product Expert in Richmond, BC

I worked at Future Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Acceptable pay Friendly culture Room for job title flexibility

Cons

Very competitive environment Stressful emphasis on pushing services

9. "Great Company to work for"

5.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Future Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good management and culture Flexible work hours

Cons

Slow growth and progress Lack of transparency

10. "Fun people to work with, not so much management"

Former Employee - CSS

I worked at Future Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun people to work with. Management changed often

Cons

Management wasn't supportive. If you didn't for the business need they wanted you out even if you were good at your job

Found 442 reviews