Future Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ron Wilson

Pros
  • Highly Diverse work environment, Good pay structure, excellent training (in 24 reviews)

• The excellent employee discount was awesome for nerds like me (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Company shut down as part of restructuring by Best Buy (in 14 reviews)

• Part time you had to pay for your benefits (in 11 reviews)

1. "Decent for part time work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seasonality and consumer buying patterns can lead to good months making over $4,500/month. Fairly easy job for the most part.

Cons

Sales associates are bottom feeders to the organization, and for the most part, there is a lot of micro-managing on the floor. Low autonomy. Not enough monthly profit sharing in regards to sales targets. Recently change commission structure

2. "Zero job security, everyone disposable, profit and personal politics over people, betrayal."

Former Employee - Agent Level II
    Former Employee - Agent Level II

I worked at Future Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is on time, nice discount, worker level colleagues great, good health/dental.

Working at Best Buy headquarters at Burnaby (owners of future shop ) better than working at store level. Ethics and atmosphere more mature.

Cons

As the 'renew blue' and 'renew red' cost cutting and job shedding measures continue to try and get Best Buy back to good profitability bite, successive waves of job losses over the last 4yrs have left staff morale low and fear of losing jobs at a high.

Staff are now hired as to how cheap they will be, especially at installer level.

Zero job security, as seniority and pay level rises over time, they cap it at $20ph for home installers and then 1% cost of living a year, waves of terminations every year as they get rid of higher earning installers and middle management to hire cheaper kids just out of high school. A year or so passes and the cycle starts again.

Salesman sharking and selling the customer whatever is good for best commission rather than what's best for the customer is rampant.

Experience overall depends on management and store, if you get a nice set and you 'gel' life is good, if you don't gel and you're face doesn't fit with that manager, you will be "terminated without cause". It doesn't matter how skilled you are or how much your customers love you.

Beware a two faced backstabbing management team, because if you are unlucky to get a manager that doesn't like being disagreed with on a fair or valid point, you will be frozen out.

If the manager wants to get rid of you because he personally doesn't like you, even if your job performance is immaculate and clients love you, he/she will. All the power is with them, head office isn't involved, there is an ethicspoint.com appeal process but don't bother. Officially there's a zero retaliation policy but if you kick up a fuss over being let go they will find an excuse not to re hire you. Future Shop/best buy don't walk the talk when it comes to ethics and morality. You are a number.

Don't give Future Shop/Best Buy any loyalty, be it employment or custom, they won't show any to you.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the termination process. Make it hard for management to terminate without cause hardworking, honest staff and installers where their customers and clients love them. Stop the petty personality politics, hire and retain on merit, experience and integrity, not firing people like above who start earning too much, and replacing them with school kids who will take $9ph.

Customers are noticing.

"Never again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, GA

I worked at Future Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends that I still keep. They have helped me through a lot of things that I've had to face- but never alone

Cons

Horrible place to work!
    Horrible management!
    Horrible upper management team!
    They don't care about the employees but only about the money
    Especially the one on tinge and 16th- the way the store is managed is bad.
    Felt nothing better for myself came out of it and didn't feel appreciated even after everything I did for them.

Advice to Management

Get you racy together and become real managers
    Either that or quit because you're making people hate you and the company and making themselves feel like they have little worth.

5. "Great boss, good competition"

Former Employee - Camera Sales in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Camera Sales in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Future Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

- commission based wages made selling more competitive.
    - enjoyed the product selection that was offered for sale

Cons

- company closed and merged with best buy
    - need to provide more notice before closing

Advice to Management

Ensure all employees are provided with time to research about product lines. The online system was terrible for learning about comparing products to sell.

6. "Great place to grow"

I worked at Future Shop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to grow my customer service skills better than I would have ever expected. Even now in a different role i revert back to some of my training I received.

Cons

Inconsistent growth within the company led to me not pursuing further. Within the sales role i believe there was not enough done to develop the core sales associates.

Advice to Management

Retain the strengths you have with your staff. There was a lot of "politics" when it came to promotions and internal growth.

7. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

was nice place to work .

Cons

nothing was wrong with place

8. "Merchandiser"

Pros

Co workers were a lot of fun

Cons

The 'favorite' salespeople definitely got away with a lot.

9. "Great place to work...depending on location"

I worked at Future Shop full-time

Pros

Some great managers. Opportunity to make a lot if you are working in the right location. Great benefits and commission percentages.

Cons

I worked in a few different stores and the experience varied a lot. Some of them were honest and the culture of the store reflected that. Others were slimy and no one did anything.

Advice to Management

Don't shut down the company! I definitely preferred futureshop to best buy. and know they're gone!

10. "amazing"

Pros

Amazing had no issues with it at all.

Cons

No isseues with futureshop at all. wished they never closed down.

11. "Mobile Audio Associate"

I worked at Future Shop (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission was an interesting experience.

Cons

When it is not busy you are making mimimum wage.