G Adventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 142 reviews

4.5
G Adventures CEO Bruce Poon Tip
Bruce Poon Tip
Pros
  • "We have an incredible company culture and I truly enjoy coming to work every day(in 18 reviews)

• "Amazing relationship with all coworkers around the world(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work that is expected certainly does not warrant such low pay - even if you are factoring in the "free" yearly trip(in 16 reviews)

• "It also gets a bit tedious and boring to go for dinner with your passengers on the trip on most nights on long tours of 2-3 weeks(in 8 reviews)

"Marketing"

I have been working at G Adventures

Pros

- Fun & Engaging Company Culture - Travel Benefits - Industry-standard Pay

Cons

can't think of one now

G Adventures2016-02-01

"Great company with unique culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great to be working for a company with such core values as this one. There is never a dull moment. The passion fueled by the employees are contagious and inspiring. There is plenty of opportunities for growth.

Cons

As with any company, you may find that there are office politics at play. This does not happen often but it will appear every now and then. For a company this young, we still face growing pains that are met with new challenges due to new leadership. Luckily, these are small issues that can be fixed with time and patience.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management team is to reconsider what you can offer to your long time employees. Our choice is to work here but after so much effort and investment that's much more than others, we deserve to be looked at differently with more opportunities to be rewarded. Step outside the box when it comes to this.

G Adventures2018-06-14

G Adventures Response

June 22, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're happy to see that you have had a positive experience in the time you've been at G. As you've been with us for quite some time, we invite you to share with your manager what we can do for employees like you as we do appreciate ...

"Great to travel, horrible for pay or comfort"

Former Employee - Chief Experience Officer (CEO)/Tour Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Travel, food and lodging paid for. Some activities paid for.

Cons

Pay is $80 per day for your first year there. This is for working literally from dawn till you fall asleep. Most employees would sleep in the bus because we are too busy and exhausted from the day to put up or take down a tent.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. I heard the years before I worked there you paid your employees $40 per day. This is abysmal. You give us the title of "CEO" because you believe we're the most important people in the company, yet you pay us the least.

G Adventures2017-09-02

G Adventures Response

May 29, 2018Talent Partner, North America

Thank you for your comments. We make every effort to be competitive in our industry and are constantly monitoring and addressing benefits to ensure they are in line with the industry standard.

"CEO - adventure for a living!"

I have been working at G Adventures full-time

Pros

Adventure and travel for a living, connecting with passengers, 'road life', free entrance to national parks and city hotel sleeps, most food provided, learn to wear many hats, self-guided learning of all things America

Cons

Low pay, tips not guaranteed, never really 'off work' while you're on the road, lack of control over your schedule, no insurance benefits

Advice to Management

Higher pay!

G Adventures2017-03-31

"They talk a good game"

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great mission, strong purpose, friendly employees, cool products, inspiring and funny founder-leader. The product's easy to sell. Fun to learn about.

Cons

Lousy pay, zero upward growth, and a leadership team full of weak, uninspiring deadbeats. Seems they care most about making themselves look good to the boss. Sad, but true.

Advice to Management

Make fundamental changes at the top VP level. They're stale. Time for new ideas and energy.

G Adventures2017-03-18

"Not exactly a dream job"

I worked at G Adventures full-time

Pros

The people at G Adventures are high energy and passionate about what they do. They work very hard and play hard and do care about doing the right thing for their customers.

Cons

There is high turnover at this company. The CEO regularly goes on tirades in email and engages in bullying behaviour to his staff.

Advice to Management

Treating employees in a respectful manner will reap large benefits.

G Adventures2016-03-29

"See the world"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer and Adventure Tour Guide in Denver, CO

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of creative freedom and you get to travel the country and get paid to do it!

Cons

the pay isnt that great and they hours are long but if you like to travel this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

try to communicate better with your employees.

G Adventures2015-10-27

"CEO Chief Experience Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at G Adventures

Pros

Great head quarters in Toronto. Amazing job to do for a limited amount of time. You get to see a ton of amazing places as part of your job.

Cons

Very hard to have any sort of a personal life in this job role. Constantly being evaluated by reviews fro customers and passengers who are often times very determined to have a bad time and or make your life difficult.

Advice to Management

Pay the CEOs more money if you want to have some retention. This job requires a lot of learning that can only be done in your first year on the road. CEO's would do a much better job after their freshman year but often times the pay isn't enough to come back to. Training becomes much more difficult and the quality of the trips is much lower with new guides.

G Adventures2015-10-01
  9. "Big focus on culture and growth"

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Good and allowing you to create new solutions and implement them. They are not a micro management company. Good benefits if you are based in their main offices, remote locations or field jobs see little of these benefits.

Cons

Very focused on growth and while they do a lot to give back to communities they have a lack of commitment to their own country and nation. They are a social enterprise yet have not contributed much to the social factors or injustice in their own region. Growth drives decisions that often hurt smaller local operators and this is not always taken into consideration

Advice to Management

There is nothing wrong with supporting first world countries in their social and environmental issues. While these countries may not have some of the social injustice other countries have, they are where you live and it matters that we give back to our own communities.

G Adventures2015-10-08

"Gong Show"

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Casual dress Talk travel all day FAM trip Mac systems

Cons

Low pay Unprofessional environment Clueless management Drinking culture No opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Act professional Share exorbitant profits w/staff (monetarily, not in the form of t-shirts and free beer) Communicate better (your business strategy is murky at best) Invest in your people (training, compensation, benefits, etc.) Put a woman in upper management in a discipline other than HR or Marketing

G Adventures2015-09-08