G.H. Bass & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Amateur upper management , archaic equipment (in 14 reviews)

• Store managers went from salary to hourly (in 12 reviews)

"Ehh..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot working for Bass. Great discount and decent inventory. Flexible schedule and most of the team was great.

Cons

Where do I begin? Part of the management and associates believe they're invincible and above others. Handing out excessive discounts without any retribution or constantly clocking in late and making it seem like the norm. The same group of employees didn't hold back when it came to bullying either. More than 5 people left the store due to the company's lack of authority on this group. They'd rather lose some of their strongest assets than disciplining those who have caused harm and insubordination.

Hoping to move up? Look elsewhere, because chances are it won't happen here. They prefer to hire outsiders and put the team against that individual(s). For example, before I left, some of the associates wouldn't want to cover a shift or would hate getting called in because that certain manager was working. What does that say?

There's plenty more, but i'll leave it at that.

Advice to Management

Help the associates out! Stop spending your entire shifts checking emails or electronic journal! Also, communication is key! the lack of communication here is ridiculous

"Horrible place to work."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birch Run, MI

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount was a good one.

Cons

While working there my job was constantly threatened, you didn't even have to do anything wrong. It was just if you don't do this you will be replaced. This is a very negative workplace. When I finally left the management schedule provided by corporate no longer have a manger a weekend off at all, you are required to work every holiday (as a full time employee I would not even get an 8 hour shift as a result of not enough payroll but I was still required to work the holiday), you often had to work alone, and the upper management including the store manager would yell and scream all the time. The sales associates are scheduled 2-3 on call shifts a week but only receive one 3-4 hour actual shift. The on calls are not necessary especially when you are told that you cannot add hours not matter what. Not to mention the phones never worked for the associates to call in the first place.

Advice to Management

Try having a positive approach with all of your employees. People work better when they are happy not when you threaten them all the time. Let your staff have family time also. associates do not need 3 on call shifts a week when they are only scheduled to work one day and only 3-4 hours.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Truckee, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Truckee, CA

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and clothing and shoes discount.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for they don't give you enough non-productive hours to get your job done and expect 50 boxes to be unpacked while only having two people on the floor which would include me (store manager) and associate. Mondays I spent most of my time sitting at a desk on conference calls that went over the exact same thing we went over the Monday before and out time on the floor where I should be driving sales and loading stock all I can say is don't work for this company I would run far away before you get started.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take a good look at how many employees they've lost and start changing how they do things

5. "I was hired as a general sales associate, as it currently stands I do more then what a general sales associate is do to."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at G.H. Bass & Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

From my experience within the Riverhead store, the best thing about working here is the environment. Everyone here simply gets along and there are no clashes of personalities.

Cons

Like most retail jobs the slow season is the worst, with no hours to give work is scarce for staff members. Also, within the company at the store level the opportunities for advancement are slim to none as they don't believe in titles for other positions.

Advice to Management

The current store manager is rather an acquired taste to which many customers have voiced their displeasure, along with an upset among the staff.

6. "Great work place"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at G.H. Bass & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing pay
    Amazing people
    Great work and normal life balance

Cons

It's retail and in retail we no there are some days that aren't so great

Advice to Management

Never be afraid to ask for what you need

7. "floor associate"

Former Employee - Student in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Student in Hershey, PA

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. part-time

Pros

discount
    people you work with
    good part time job

Cons

cheap shoes
    feet will hurt
    depending on who u work with

Advice to Management

create team bonding and teach employees to sell. managment was awesome

"Worst Job ever"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Blowing Rock, NC
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Blowing Rock, NC

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great shoes, clothing and accessories.

Cons

No work-life balance. ASMs are great, managers and DMs are terrible. No training. Managers treat employees terrible. Crazy hours and overnight stocking hours. Managers and DMs irresponsible. Pass the buck and save their own when needed and throw ASMs under the bus. SMs hate being in store. Lead by example not by "Do what I say not what I do".

Advice to Management

Make DMs and SMs responsible and not have AMs cover up their mistakes. Make managers work weekends and properly train their MTs and ASMs. No overnight hours for anyone because of LP issues and workman's comp issues.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lutz, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lutz, FL

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are very appealing. The upper management that come check on the stores are awesome.

Cons

The lower management, ie. the store managers are sometimes very problematic. Also they aren't the type to keep their word on promotions.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager & Apparel Lead in Tilton, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager & Apparel Lead in Tilton, NH

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous discount. Some popular clothing styles.

Cons

Clothing was poorly executed, often shrunk and not trendy. Hard to wear for work. Shoes are not solely Bass brand.
    Poor production for luggage and jewelry/accessories are the same each season.
    Operational paperwork is a waste of time.

11. "Floor Supervisor"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Northridge, CA

I worked at G.H. Bass & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

guest service, sales, guest satisfaction

Cons

management, inter company politics, pay, structure

Advice to Management

open your mind and your eyes. listen to your employees