G-III Apparel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
G-III Apparel Chairman and CEO Morris Goldfarb
Morris Goldfarb

Pros
  • Sample sales throughout the building (in 6 reviews)

• great environment for growth, fast-paced, fun and intimate team, hard workers, great benefit (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, very routinized, recovery of clothing (in 11 reviews)

• Very late hours with no commute or dinner compensation (in 5 reviews)

"Decent"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at G-III Apparel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are extremely knowledgeable in their respective areas of expertise. Also, there are many opportunities to go to sample sales held by different divisions within the company.

Cons

Don't expect to make crazy amounts of money or get many raises. Sometimes run like a "mom and pop" business which results in unfair pay for employees low on the totem pole.

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at G-III Apparel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full benefits, discounts on clothing

Cons

long hours, no gratitude

"This is not a place where talented people should go"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I have to take more than 10 seconds to think then there's not much to write about

Cons

I was hired as an Associate Designer. I've worked as a freelancers for many companies and I have never experienced such a horrific working environment.

You will be treated very disposable. You are not valued for your vision and your hard work. You're not considered as a designer but as a 'techpack keeper'. There is zero creativity, you'll be finding clothes to knock off everyday, down to every single seam, the only things you'll change are zippers and buttons with the company's logo.

There is no room to grow. My former coworker waited three years for a raise. Salary is not negotiable. There is no discussion about salary. They throw it on the table, you either take it or you don't and if you don't they'll find someone else who will settle.

There is no such thing as company's culture. Zero. None. No summer Friday. You'll be clocking in at least 60 hours a week.

HR has so respects for you. If you have problems, don't run into them asking for solutions.

Technologies are outdated. This is the first and only company that I had to work with Adobe Illustrator version 2 (yes, number two).

This place is good for people who have no other options but still want to remain in the fashion industry. As for people who have talents, I would highly recommend you to wait for something else to come along. Designers, definitely grab your portfolio and run as fast as you possibly can. Even Sears is a much better option.

"Would not recommend to my worst enemy. Save yourself the torture."

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Receive timely salary, insurance is satisfactory, convenient location, flexibility in office arrival.

Cons

G-III Apparel Group from the outside is a HUGE corp. machine but in reality runs as if it's a mom and pop shop in the late 1960's. There is an extreme lack of understanding how the apparel industry as a whole is growing, no organization, no systems, nothing, everything is approached from an old school garmento perspective. In reality G-III has over 8,000 employees all of whom are not valued for their talent or expertise but utilized as tools to knock off other companies garments and make tech packs. Each division is ran like a tiny sweat shop, or monarchy and no one is respected for the value they actually bring to the company.

Upper Management is disrespectful, mean, condescending and belittling. They could care less about your title, opinion or worth and treat everyone like working monkeys. They are constantly yelling at vendors or employees, work culture is extremely bad, you are expected to work late no matter what and treated poorly if you do not. Employee morale is low, the lowest I've seen in all 15 years of my career; the entire design team is constantly one foot out of the door and turn around is very high.

HR barely exists, if you complain or have concerns they do not care. It also takes several attempts to have an email answered. If you voice any concerns for your well being or the well being of your team you will be cut. They do not like free thinkers, or people that are outspoken. Every brand is slightly different but this is particularly true for Ck, DKNY & Tommy as they are all ran under the same management team.

Vendors are treated like slaves and forced to pay their factory workers lower and lower salaries every year due to the fact that G-III wants a 300% mark up on product vs. the usual 71% that most brands aim for. Quality of the clothing that consumers are paying big bucks for is supremely poor in turn.

It's sad that a company that licenses and owns so many reputable brands has created a culture of fear, and unimaginative, uninspired ways of developing products. AKA let's purchase 200 samples and knock everything off exact. This is not how a "design team" should be ran. Designers are not really designing, but more so product developers.

So in conclusion, if you are at all kind, creative, driven and smart this may not be the job for you.... But, if you are soul-less, like to see your team members cry every day and want to work 13 hours a day this is the perfect place for you!

Good luck.

Advice to Management

Treat the professionals you hire with respect and allow them to do their jobs in stead of micromanaging everything and relying on knocking off other brands.

"Product Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any

Cons

very long hours, no management support, antagonistic environment

Advice to Management

respect employees and vendors; upgrade pay to industry standards

7. "Director of Design"

Former Employee - Director of Design AM Retail in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Design AM Retail in New York, NY

Pros

Job tasks, diverse challenges - solutions

Cons

tasks & challenges are under rated

Advice to Management

no advise to give

8. "Busy at Winter & Easy at Summer"

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's busy to work at winter, because G-III is outerwear company, it is, however, really easy to work at Summer.

Cons

Not so design & creative driven company.

Advice to Management

Please push to be more creative!

"Designers........Run as fast as you can!!"

Former Employee - Fashion Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fashion Designer in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe the name on your resume but most people are impressed I "survived" for a few years. There aren't any pro's. I knew I made a mistake after the 1st day of work. when I started I didn't even have a desk or computer!!!!

Cons

*long hours, no balance, everything is a rush. there are no design calendars.
    *mgmt always yelling at one another in halls shouting profanity. When they treat one another like that its not a surprise that you're treated horribly.
    *there aren't any job titles so your pay isn't based on anything. I was hired for a senior level position and when I started that title didn't exist.
    *family and friends always hired for senior level position with ZERO experience, it's really a joke. One person was hired to run a division with no prior experience of brand building, sales or design
    *If you're not happy you are always told "everyone is replaceable"
    *in design room there was no room to work or even measure garments.

Advice to Management

open your eyes to whats going on

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at G-III Apparel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The designers are pleasant to work with, sample sales, work starts at 9am, decent healthcare plan

Cons

Management constantly changes their mind, short staffed therefore employees have to stay long hours to finish all the work, not quick to promote, underpaid

Advice to Management

Recognize good employees and hardworking members of the team by giving them a pay raise

11. "Luggage Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at G-III Apparel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work hours and good environment however, It takes time for people in the company to notice you.

Cons

Very slow to upgrade computers and invest in new technologies such as 3D printers.