G-III Apparel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
G-III Apparel Chairman and CEO Morris Goldfarb
Morris Goldfarb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Sample sales throughout the building (in 6 reviews)

• great environment for growth, fast-paced, fun and intimate team, hard workers, great benefit (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from management,hostile environment due to poor management,long hours (in 13 reviews)

• Very late hours with no commute or dinner compensation (in 5 reviews)

1. "Just horrible"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I guess they have decent benefits

Cons

I can only speak for the sports division that is run by vp's that hate each other. One only likes to hire Koreans and the other only treats you well if you're Jewish or if you are willing to be his snitch. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, if you are making too much money they will make your life hell to get you to leave. HR doesn't care doesn't care about the discrimination and general mistreatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Send upper management to HR trainings

2. "Tech Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability. Good benefits. Mostly nice people you with.

Cons

Long hours. A lot of stress, since groups are under staffed.

Advice to Management

Hire more Tech Designers to spread work load evenly, so employee can have nice work/life balance as it was 2 years ago.

3. "Neurotic environment"

Former Employee - Development Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Associate in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people , learn fast,1 hr lunch break, decent vacation pack,

Cons

Advice to Management

Learn to accept your mistakes and stop harassing your employees, invest im people.and you achieve higher engagement and better peoductivity, stop acting like you are invincible and treat eployees you rank below yourself as disposable trash

4. "G-III"

I have been working at G-III Apparel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- autonomy
    - benefits package
    - many brands
    - large company

Cons

- no room for growth
    - no raises or compensation
    - no research/development teams

"There are no titles. Everyone is reduced to simply an employee."

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time

Pros

Nice, redesigned office space.

Cons

Overall environment was disorganized and based on fear. Screaming, yelling and belittling were commonplace. Complete lack of leadership and creative direction. Failure to maintain design calendar by upper management resulted in panic and 7 day work weeks to compensate. No loyalty to employees for dedication and time.

Advice to Management

Work on building employee relationships. Promote intelligent problem solving, instead of bullying and aggressive shouting. Work on proper team building prior to launching a brand.

6. "Design"

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time

Pros

Great creative team. Open to new ideas

Cons

Long hours lack of advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

More team building

7. "Good place to learn"

I worked at G-III Apparel part-time

Pros

- I worked there part time and found I gained a lot of valuable experience from them.
    - Lots of talented people to learn from.

Cons

The pay was not competitive. But the experience I gained made it worth it for the short time I was there.

Advice to Management

Make sure you value your employees. Paying a competitive wage can help attract talented people.

"This is not a place where talented people should go"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I have to take more than 10 seconds to think then there's not much to write about

Cons

I was hired as an Associate Designer. I've worked as a freelancers for many companies and I have never experienced such a horrific working environment.

You will be treated very disposable. You are not valued for your vision and your hard work. You're not considered as a designer but as a 'techpack keeper'. There is zero creativity, you'll be finding clothes to knock off everyday, down to every single seam, the only things you'll change are zippers and buttons with the company's logo.

There is no room to grow. My former coworker waited three years for a raise. Salary is not negotiable. There is no discussion about salary. They throw it on the table, you either take it or you don't and if you don't they'll find someone else who will settle.

There is no such thing as company's culture. Zero. None. No summer Friday. You'll be clocking in at least 60 hours a week.

HR has so respects for you. If you have problems, don't run into them asking for solutions.

Technologies are outdated. This is the first and only company that I had to work with Adobe Illustrator version 2 (yes, number two).

This place is good for people who have no other options but still want to remain in the fashion industry. As for people who have talents, I would highly recommend you to wait for something else to come along. Designers, definitely grab your portfolio and run as fast as you possibly can. Even Sears is a much better option.

9. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at G-III Apparel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full benefits, discounts on clothing

Cons

long hours, no gratitude

"Would not recommend to my worst enemy. Save yourself the torture."

I worked at G-III Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Receive timely salary, insurance is satisfactory, convenient location, flexibility in office arrival.

Cons

G-III Apparel Group from the outside is a HUGE corp. machine but in reality runs as if it's a mom and pop shop in the late 1960's. There is an extreme lack of understanding how the apparel industry as a whole is growing, no organization, no systems, nothing, everything is approached from an old school garmento perspective. In reality G-III has over 8,000 employees all of whom are not valued for their talent or expertise but utilized as tools to knock off other companies garments and make tech packs. Each division is ran like a tiny sweat shop, or monarchy and no one is respected for the value they actually bring to the company.

Upper Management is disrespectful, mean, condescending and belittling. They could care less about your title, opinion or worth and treat everyone like working monkeys. They are constantly yelling at vendors or employees, work culture is extremely bad, you are expected to work late no matter what and treated poorly if you do not. Employee morale is low, the lowest I've seen in all 15 years of my career; the entire design team is constantly one foot out of the door and turn around is very high.

HR barely exists, if you complain or have concerns they do not care. It also takes several attempts to have an email answered. If you voice any concerns for your well being or the well being of your team you will be cut. They do not like free thinkers, or people that are outspoken. Every brand is slightly different but this is particularly true for Ck, DKNY & Tommy as they are all ran under the same management team.

Vendors are treated like slaves and forced to pay their factory workers lower and lower salaries every year due to the fact that G-III wants a 300% mark up on product vs. the usual 71% that most brands aim for. Quality of the clothing that consumers are paying big bucks for is supremely poor in turn.

It's sad that a company that licenses and owns so many reputable brands has created a culture of fear, and unimaginative, uninspired ways of developing products. AKA let's purchase 200 samples and knock everything off exact. This is not how a "design team" should be ran. Designers are not really designing, but more so product developers.

So in conclusion, if you are at all kind, creative, driven and smart this may not be the job for you.... But, if you are soul-less, like to see your team members cry every day and want to work 13 hours a day this is the perfect place for you!

Good luck.

Advice to Management

Treat the professionals you hire with respect and allow them to do their jobs in stead of micromanaging everything and relying on knocking off other brands.