G.L Mezzetta Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Employee in American Canyon, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in American Canyon, CA

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Everything! There isn't one good thing to say. People are treated badly by upper management and they act like you owe it to them to work many long hours and weekends because they need to run production.

Advice to Management

Hire better decisions makers that actually went to school.

"Very dysfunctional company. Family operated and poorly managed."

Pros

The general staff are nice people but few stay very long. The products are good.

Cons

CEO don't know what he doesn't know but he thinks he knows it all. Very ego driven, controlling and has major trust issues. He holds the company back from being a great company because he can't trust the senior managers that are hired to take the company to the next level. They go through staff on a regular basis...only a very select few have stayed with the company because they tell the owner what he wants to hear. Employees are not treated well or respected, poor benefits and bad culture. Very toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

Find someone else to run the company.

"Dysfunctional CEO Leadership"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at G.L Mezzetta (More than a year)

Pros

Great people are the core of the company

Cons

CEO is terrible to all, self centered and lacks any kind of business savvy or professional conduct. Don't waste your time there.

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO

"Weak Management"

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Increasingly few. The core products are still excellent to keep in your kitchen and the premium pasta sauce is delicious.

Cons

Low moral is a part of the lifeblood on which Mezzetta is built.

While not intentional, it is the product of aimless senior leadership at the top. The CEO could be very bright behind closed doors, but the chaotic fashion in which this company is run reflects the persona displayed to us in our quarterly "State of the Business" meetings. The CEO states at the beginning of each meeting that his "#1 Priority" is to provide clarity to the business, and then follows that statement up by engaging in an hour and a half of confusing sports metaphors, uncomfortable puns, and random revelations of "clarity". What does become clear through this occasional exposure to the CEO is that while he is understands what he wants (awesome financial results), he very clearly does not know how to get there.

The company is managed in a similar fashion. Confusion rules the day, and most people are on the lookout for greener pastures.

Advice to Management

The business is large enough that it is probably time to bring in a professional CEO to run the company.

Oct 3, 2016

Mezzetta has been a family owned and operated company for 80 years, and we are proud to be on our 4th generation of family leadership under our CEO Jeff Mezzetta. The passion the Mezzetta family has... More

"Porque no ponen los 10.25 q pagan a las oliveras"

Current Employee - Production in American Canyon, CA
    Current Employee - Production in American Canyon, CA

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time

Pros

Pagan mal y quieren que uno se esfuerze a hacer lo q no puede

Cons

Tratan mal y lo obligan a uno a trabajar tiempo extra

Advice to Management

Se lastima uno y lo corren y la aseguranza no te da ni te alluda en nada

"Poorly Managed"

Pros

- The Product Lines are fun and most are very good quality
    - Base compensation is competitive
    - Good work-life balance

Cons

- Very limited vision and no cohesive direction
    - A big brother mentality towards personnel mgmt
    - Transparency is highly discouraged. Individuals are literally laid off for challenging the status quo. If I hadn't already left the company, I would be afraid to post this review for fear of retaliation (and am still fearful that they would try to tarnish my reputation months later).
    - The company prides itself on culture and top talent acquisition, but anyone talented can't be retained because of the poor culture
    - Benefits are sub-standard at best, and progressively worse
    - Basic business functions are mediocre. The company is managed on a whim.

Oct 3, 2016

Thank you for your balanced feedback. Quality is always a top priority for Mezzetta, and we agree that our culture supports a good work-life balance. In the couple of years since you provided this... More

"The company who does not care about their production people"

Former Employee - Production Line
    Former Employee - Production Line

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do give you 40 or more a week, to the point when you sometimes have to ask for a break, because they make it mandatory to workk over time, specially during the summer.

Cons

So let me start saying Mezzetta had a big labor issue back in November, where the whole entire production people, stopped the lines and walked away. This was because the company informed us 2 days before the benefits enrollment, tha they will no longer offer Kaiser. The comany did not care if you, or a loved one in your family had a health condition and have been seen the same doctor for years. Their people pushed the company back...and they won ! the company ended up yielding because otherwise production was going to be stopped for undefined period of time. People were ready to leave the company.
    After that, they did not have a Christmas party for their employees in December. Yes, a millionary company did not offer a Christmas party for their people. When people asked them why, their response was: ¨we were busy and that did not fall in our priorities¨.
    Lourdes, the lady who is commenting here, was the one saying over and over again that Kaiser was not an option, and at the end, she told the employees, what the only option was, take it or leave it.
    This is the most unhuman company I´ve worked for in my 20 years of experience, working in food manufacturing.
    There is a separation between the office and the production people...is terrible. They have separate bathrooms, production people are not allowed to go into the offices and have some coffee, and so for. People from the floor, who generate the money, are seen like inferiors all the time.
    The good reviews you´d see here are from people from the office. I worked on the floor...trust me stay away if you have some respect for yourself. I can´t speak for the ones in the offices, maybe they have a better work environment, but on the floor...is miserable.

Advice to Management

Care about your production people too. Invite them to mingle with you, Invite them to play bocce ball...they are also human beings, not objects, like you treat them.

Feb 10, 2017 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you so much for your feedback, though, I have to admit, I felt quite sad and disappointed to read it.

It's certainly true we had to make some difficult decisions regarding our benefits... More

"Not the happiest environment"

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time

Pros

The products are amazing and the company has a loyal customer base; the company is growing fast.

Cons

It's the culture of the company is to run on empty – most of the staff is very overworked and demands for resources and personal development are often ignored. Most people wear multiple hats, sometimes in multiple departments which is less of an honor and more of an attempt to play catch up. It isn't unusual to be told, “Go figure out how to do it and do it until we ask someone else to do it.” Expect that you'll receive minimal training here, although if you request outside training they'll likely send you. This company does not promote within despite what they say, I've seen multiple people get passed over for promotions (they deserve or have been promised) several times. Morale is very low among staff at all levels, personal development is nonexistent, the company vision isn't clear and the CEO is notoriously difficult.

Advice to Management

Talk more with your team about their career aspirations, and help them work towards their aspirations when you see the opportunity. Offer opportunities for current employees to attend personal development courses - an annual 2 hour workshop on microsoft office is NOT good enough.

"Great products, not so great work environment"

Pros

Great products, lots of potential, that's about it.

Cons

Senior Executives, and middle managers view employees as "disposable", and are oblivious to the notion that the employee-employer relationship is a "two-way street". Employee morale is low. Do not disagree, or present alternative ideas to senior or middle mgmt, unless you want to be retaliated against. Lonmg term employees are not open to resolving issues in a transparent way- instead its a self-protective environment where everyone is defending their turf (whether they are right or wrong).

Advice to Management

Seek executive coaching, provide training to current "middle" managers on how to succesfully manage a team, training in managerial "soft-skills" highly reccomended, Myers Briggs training to facilittae better communication between employees, managers, and senior executives. Company culture is "survival of the fittest"--work on changing this to "our employees are our most important asset"

"Interesting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Canyon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Canyon, CA

Pros

Fully Paid Medical Plan, 401K, Growing Food Manufacturer that may have more opportunity for growth in the future.

Cons

Managers not necessarily good at being a manager. Managers are working managers who are good at what they specialize in but not necessarily good at managing others. There is more work than people since the company has grown tremendously in the last 5 years. Folk are over worked.

Advice to Management

Small fish in a company are important also. Listen to them.