G.L Mezzetta Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Mezzetta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mezzetta"

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time

Pros

Overall fantastic company with great opportunities

Cons

No cons to comment at this time

"The company who does not care about their production people"

Former Employee - Production Line
    Former Employee - Production Line

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do give you 40 or more a week, to the point when you sometimes have to ask for a break, because they make it mandatory to workk over time, specially during the summer.

Cons

So let me start saying Mezzetta had a big labor issue back in November, where the whole entire production people, stopped the lines and walked away. This was because the company informed us 2 days before the benefits enrollment, tha they will no longer offer Kaiser. The comany did not care if you, or a loved one in your family had a health condition and have been seen the same doctor for years. Their people pushed the company back...and they won ! the company ended up yielding because otherwise production was going to be stopped for undefined period of time. People were ready to leave the company.
    After that, they did not have a Christmas party for their employees in December. Yes, a millionary company did not offer a Christmas party for their people. When people asked them why, their response was: ¨we were busy and that did not fall in our priorities¨.
    Lourdes, the lady who is commenting here, was the one saying over and over again that Kaiser was not an option, and at the end, she told the employees, what the only option was, take it or leave it.
    This is the most unhuman company I´ve worked for in my 20 years of experience, working in food manufacturing.
    There is a separation between the office and the production people...is terrible. They have separate bathrooms, production people are not allowed to go into the offices and have some coffee, and so for. People from the floor, who generate the money, are seen like inferiors all the time.
    The good reviews you´d see here are from people from the office. I worked on the floor...trust me stay away if you have some respect for yourself. I can´t speak for the ones in the offices, maybe they have a better work environment, but on the floor...is miserable.

Advice to Management

Care about your production people too. Invite them to mingle with you, Invite them to play bocce ball...they are also human beings, not objects, like you treat them.

Feb 10, 2017 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you so much for your feedback, though, I have to admit, I felt quite sad and disappointed to read it.

It's certainly true we had to make some difficult decisions regarding our benefits... More

"Growing organization with talented employees"

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time

Pros

Company does a great job of hiring talented individuals. The organization as a whole is working to be more efficient and more communicative with employees.

Cons

While the organization is working to be more efficient and to be more communicative with employees, it is still unclear at times as to why certain processes do or do not exist.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Over communicate. Bridge the gap between "office" and "plant." Every voice is important. Make sure your employees know that.

4. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great family business, positive morale, great co-workers....

Cons

Commute - wish I lived closer.

Feb 1, 2017 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you for sharing why you like working at Mezzetta! Lourdes Ahn, Chief People Officer

"People Focused Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Canyon, CA

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mezzetta is extremely focused on two things, people and quality. They are a relatively well known national brand with upside potential, yet still operate as a small family owned operation. This provides wonderful access to leadership, openness to new ideas and a good culture of togetherness. Silos are not a concern here. The tremendous growth over the last decade has the business hiring talented individuals from outside the company to help drive a best practice culture.

Cons

There is a lack of repeatable process and available tools to track data for many areas of the business. For my role specifically, this actually creates opportunity to help build a strong functional team and deliver value which will have a lasting impact. The Mezzetta Leadership strongly supports this shift as well

Advice to Management

Develop and implement training programs for salaried staff. Identify next generation leadership and implement a program which will allow them to develop their skillset and advance their careers. It's the best way to retain talent within the organization.

Feb 1, 2017 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. You’ll be happy to know we’re working on a focused training program for 2017 aimed at developing our employees and ensuring they have the skills and... More

6. "Happy At Mezzetta"

Pros

Mezzetta is a good place to work if you like to be challenged and at the same time be held accountable for what you are supposed to get done in regards to your job description.

Cons

If you think you are going to fly below the radar and not get recognized for not doing acceptable work then Mezzetta is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple, it is not that hard. Let the people do their jobs by giving them guidance when needed, but at the same time put them in positions that they can excel.

Nov 17, 2016 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you very much for your feedback. I hope you were able to attend our recent State of the Business meeting where we discussed how we've been focusing on empowering managers and employees in... More

7. "GL Mezzetta review"

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work for. Being a smaller company gives it more of a family feel.

Cons

The Infrastructure has not caught up with the companies growth.

8. "Working at GL Mezzetta"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Canyon, CA

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta (More than 3 years)

Pros

a. Senior Mgt. provides the necessary tools and support to set you up for success.
    b. Lots of opportunities for career advancement (horizontal/vertical) and on-site/off-site training.
    c. Most of all, the work environment feels "homey", like you're working with family members and friends ... achieving a common goal.

Cons

Since the company is undergoing tremendous growth both in products and people, we're seeing an increasing challenge on available parking lots. Though the company leased the adjacent building's parking space, it's a challenge to cross the street especially during cold rainy days. Bearable; but can be improved.

Nov 17, 2016 – Mezzetta Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We do understand the parking arrangement is not ideal, and we continue to seek opportunities for improvement.

Lourdes Ahn, Chief People Officer

9. "Simply Awesome!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and environment are incredibly awesome. The Mezzetta Culture is top notch and driven to succeed at every level.

Cons

None that I can think of at this moment.

Advice to Management

Keep making Mezzetta a GREAT place to be.

10. "Growing Pains, but Growing and Caring"

Pros

Mezzetta is growing fast, both in sales and its organization. Standards and expectations are high. we don't always make it but even results we are unhappy with are still solid results from a growing company. The company focuses strongly on culture and is clear that they want to be a top employer.

Cons

With growth comes change and some of the change is a bit dysfunctional. Knowing what you want out of culture and knowing how to get there are not always the same. The co0mpany has had some fits and starts around culture change and may not be fully on the right path yet but they will get there.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on change but slow the pace a bit. Whenever we have a good idea or new way to help, give it a cooling off period to let it sink in and clarify before moving forward

Nov 17, 2016 – Mezzetta Representative

Thank you for your comments. We are growing and changing, and I agree that our culture is in flux. I see this as a great opportunity to build a company and culture that is best in class! We all... More